The ones what got away...

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Yes...

Hurricane Party changed their name to Roadstar after hurricane Katrina (I think) and they cited that they didn't want to cause offence due to their band name. They released one EP (Get This) as Hurricane Party, 2 albums as Roadstar (Glass Mountain and Grand Hotel). Then they split with the producer/manager and another lineup change as Heaven's Basement. The stuff they made as HB (an EP and a few songs were on MySpace only and some of it can still be found on YouTube), with the original singer was by far their best stuff. Then the singer quit. And now they suck. There's only 1 original member left in the band (drummer). 

Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23742
    edited August 2014
    Nice to see Warrior Soul getting a mention!

There's a third Badlands album, Dusk, released after Ray Gillen died.  I thought it would just be studio leftovers, but it's excellent.

Some bands I really liked who never got as big as they should've... not necessarily one-album wonders, in fact some made quite a few:

The Mother Station
    Riverdogs
    Cry Of Love
    Burning Tree
    Babylon AD (great first album, awful second)
    Circle Of Soul
    Saigon Kick
    Galactic Cowboys
    MD.45 (the Dave Mustaine/Lee Ving side project, one great album)
    Coney Hatch
    The Posies
    Nuclear Valdez

Quite a few of them were from that period just before Grunge.  I liked (and still like) Grunge, but it killed off a lot of good bands as well as some utter dross.  And then we had to suffer Nu Metal.... thank god that didn't last long.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    tFB Trader
    I was always baffled My Vitriol didn't do much. 

They had a decent first album with this superb single on it:

Then they seem to have pissed about threatening to release a follow up album for the last 10+ years, but never actually doing very much.

Captain are another band I thought would be big and then did precisely nowt. 

Not guitar music but the Postal Service.  I really like their album.  Try if you like soft sounding synth pop.

For guitar stuff:

Fair To Midland - They released an IMO pretty cool album called Arrows and Anchors then pretty much as far as I can see imploded.  Try if you like a real mixture of heavy rock genres, they cover a fair bit of ground stylistically.

Opening track (probably my favourite) - 

A much heavier band, The Human Abstract are another band that released one good album called Digital Veil then pretty much disintegrated.  Really quite heavy but their stuff went from tech metal to almost muse/classical inspired prog.

Title track (tech metal) - 

Intrigued by Fair to Midland. Heard the name, not the songs! 

Also just for your personal interest it now seems apparent to me after checking it out that for a while now the intro to "Such Great Heights" (The Postal Service) has been featured in tv ads for Australian mobile network Telstra. Recognised the music right away haha! Here's one of their ads - 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7395
    pulkas:

Kill II This (ok they put out 2 albums but the second one flopped hard)

ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Massive Posies fan here! I've seen them more times than any other band. Generally, you'll have to make your way to the continent to see them play these days. The mrs and I saw them in Amsterdam, earlier in the year, with the Amazing Disgrace lineup. They were criminally ignored. Jon Auer is playing a small solo gig at the Lexington, Islington, next Friday.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    edited August 2014
    I'll play.

Ride - did a couple of albums in the 90s but never really hit big AFAIK. One of the members went on to join Oasis, but this stuff is miles better. Going Blank Again might be up there with the best 90s rock albums if you ask me. Killer guitar, bass AND drum sounds too.

Jellyfish - two early 90s albums which only produced one moderately successful hit single (below). One of my all-time favourite bands, I love pretty much everything they ever recorded. They wrote fantastic songs, I can't understand why they didn't hit big.

World Party - I've got their album Goodbye Jumbo, not all of it is great but it has a couple of absolutely brilliant, stand-out tracks on it - this being one. Karl Wallinger also wrote "She's the One", of course made famous by Robbie Williams. His original version's better.

Patto - obscure 70s prog band, with a full-on guitar ninja in Ollie Halsall, possibly one of the most under-appreciated players in history. Their stuff is quite weird and not all of it is good, but they had some gems. The solos are always brilliant.

And finally (for now, unless I come back with more later) - Badfinger.

Criminally, criminally underrated 70s power pop band, who were signed to the Beatles' record label and could have been a successful, long-lived band if their manager hadn't been a crooked piece of shit who ruined their finances to the point where two of them committed suicide. Their songs were first-class, catchy as fuck and with vocal harmonies to die for. And they had a cracking guitarist in Pete Ham. If you haven't heard them, you've been missing out on some great music. They even wrote "Without You", made famous by Harry Nilsson and then Mariah Carey.

- "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Skin - Nev MacDonald has a hell of a voice on him...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10778
    Enjoyed that fair to midland one
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    Ooh, @Bucket ...Badfinger. Interesting! I know that song, because of the Def Leppard cover on their covers album. I'm liking the Badfinger version too though. :) 

And that Jellyfish song did it for me too. 

Agree with @Nunogilberto too... Skin were an awesome band. 

Here's another... Freak of Nature. For whatever reasons, they remind me of Extreme's heavier stuff... think Get the Funk Out, Warheads etc and in part they remind me of Alice in Chains/Pearl Jam in places:

• Life, sex and death ( see what they did there)

Sort of faith no more , harmony vox crazy singer. Awesome album.

And Sikth

These are the guys that pre dated the djent craze

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11769
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader

I loved Sven Gali ...and Freak of Nature - saw them both in Camden early 1990s
    I thought Freak of Nature were much better than White Lion which is where most knew Mike Tramp from
    Badlands had two official albums and a third was released too - Ray Gillen was a great singer

I really enjoyed Hurricane Party - changed their name after Hurricane Katrina , as USA would have a hard time with the name.
    Original singer Richie was their strength and the mature songwriting - by their then manager Laurie mansworth who is now masterminding The Treatment in a similar was (although Laurie's son Dhanialso plays drums for The Treatment)

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sikth are gigging again right now if you weren't aware @guitarmangler
  • Ah,awesome.Thanks. I'll have to look out that.
    guitarfishbay;318350" said:
    Sikth are gigging again right now if you weren't aware @guitarmangler
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Phantom Blue, an all-girl (does it matter?) band from LA in the early 90's. Broke up.

Michelle Meldrum (guitarist) married John Norsrum (?) from Europe (the band), moved to Europe (the continent) and formed Meldrum. Sadly passed away a few years ago.

Linda MacDonald, the drummer, is now drumming in The Iron Maidens (an all girl Iron Maiden tribute band - and bloody good they are too....)

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7395
    Life, sex and death ( see what they did there)
    Sort of faith no more , harmony vox crazy singer. Awesome album.

And Sikth

These are the guys that pre dated the djent craze

apparently sikth have reformed
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ