Pink Floyd…what am I missing?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960

There seems a genuine hatred from Waters towards Gilmour.
    Because Gilmour has a great tendency to do the butter-wouldn't-melt passive-aggressive thing which I think drives Waters up the wall (pun intended).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23950
    Nothing.
    I don’t get them.

I have bought and sold DSOTM about 5 times over the years and it is always dull.

Life is too short.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jdgmjdgm Frets: 850
    edited June 2021
    I was fortunate enough to see Pink Floyd at least 4 times between 1970 and '75 (Knebworth was the last time for me).
    Every time I saw them was an outdoor concert. 
    They did not play fast - ever.  They were by far the greatest 'stoner' band (before that term was invented) of their day and very influential on German rock music IMO.
    However "Meddle" was the end of that era,  and immediately before Waters brought his lyrics and concepts to the fore with DSOTM they were in a desperate creative rut.  I bought that record and the next, but it got so depressing (WYWH) that I lost interest after that.

And Nick Mason came to my 1st live gig!!  True!!  But that's another story.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Never really liked them.  I can sort of hear why Gilmour is revered by some, I've even taken the trouble to learn a couple of his more famous solos, but he wouldn't make a list of my 100 favourite players.  Having said that I still think his guitar playing is the thing I like best about Floyd apart from 2 or 3 of the Syd Barrett era songs.

Back in the 90s when there was a vogue for "greatest album of all times" lists I noticed that the PF often had the highest ranked albums I didn't like personally.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I was a big fan through my 20s, then I got much more into Bruce Springsteen and the Rolling Stones (as well US-tinged alt/indie/folk stuff ) and realised I liked songs and heart more than just super-straight English music. I still listen to DSOTM occasionally, and I still think The Wall is a fantastic record (though hard work and not something I listen to much)

I'm glad I saw them at Live 8 though...
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BorkBork Frets: 252
    Love Gilmour's solos on The Wall and  DSOTM. Exquisite note choice and use of space.  Each note counts for something and the space emphasises that quality.   I think I may have even lost my virginity with DSOTM in the background at one point.   But Live At Pompeii (pre DSOTM?) was a yawnfest and stuff since The Wall has bored me.   

[This space for rent]

• markslade07markslade07 Frets: 833
    Randomly, I’ve just come back from a day out at Nick Mason’s house looking at his very fine collection of cars (amongst other things)!

Anyway…carry on! 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7082
    I loved Pink Floyd as a child age 8/9 and up to probably around my mid-twenties, but you kind of grow out of them. It's basically some 'middle-class kids' moaning about organised society and being post-war babies, with lots of slow blues solos with echo and ambient washes.

My father and my uncle essentially played every record at me as a child and so I had all the original vinyl at my disposal, which is how I learnt to play the guitar really. I just sat there and worked it out by ear, by moving the stylus on my record player back and slowing down by resting my finger on the platter etc

They were great when Sid was in charge, as in they were a bit different at the time and his quirky songs were of the era.

I used to adore Meddle when I was a child and also Ummagumma, I always found DSOTM a bit samey, was never my favourite and found WYWH was more enjoyable, Animals was a bit hit and miss for me.

But in the '70s it just all went 'middle-class' wank in hindsight, the '80s stuff post-split is just fucking awful and tedious at best, Delicate Sound of Bollocks etc  ;)

I can still listen to them, but I find a lot of it 'really dull' now I'm 48 and it isn't as 'deep' as many make out. When I was 12 it was meaningful, but nowadays I find it all a bit whiny and meh. 

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26753
    I also think Gilmour's tone is waaaaayyy overrated
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    I hate Pink Floyd. Gilmour just plays cheesy blues riffs - and you can't dance to it. While we're on the subject, The Smiths are awful because that fascist, Morrisey has a whiney voice. And don't get me started on Radiohead and depressing Thom Yorke....

Am I cool enough now?

Because, that was all lies. I love Pink Floyd, The Smiths and Radiohead. I think David Gilmour is a fine guitarist with his own voice - even though he plays too slowly to get into an amateur thrash metal band (or would he?). There are plenty of things I don't love, but I just accept it and move on. 

Dear OP, if you don't like Pink Floyd, that's fine. Move on to the stuff you do like. I don't like Little Mix, myself. We're all different and we all like different things for personal, subjective reasons. Any analysis to try and find objectivity and worthiness in something is meaningless.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 436
    I’d suggest checking out Us & Them the latest Rogers Waters DVD. I’m not a Floyd fan but its just brilliant music, production and is very cinematic. 
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    There are loads of lauded bands who I don't like, but that I can at least understand the fandom (step forward The Rolling Stones). The ongoing success of Floyd leaves me completely baffled. Music for people who buy their art in IKEA. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    As my mother used to say ' if you haven't got anything nice to say then don't say anything.'
    Of course she didn't stick to that and was quite capable of being vile about people behind their backs. So, in memory of my mother, I'll say that Pink Floyd are a horrible Andrew Lloyd Webberism of pretentious public school boy wank. 
    Love you ma. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    San Diego 1971, a fantastic performance for those who like Floyd of that era. 
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    I will always love “Piper at the Gates…” 

I like the fact Gilmour gives big donations to charity. 

Other than that nothing about them appeals to me. 

Waters is an interesting psychological/ sociological study. Clearly a study in repression and ill concealed rage. He rather  reminds me of Jeremy Corbyn. Margaret Thatcher too. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Redlester said:
    Waters is an interesting psychological/ sociological study. Clearly a study in repression and ill concealed rage. He rather  reminds me of Jeremy Corbyn. Margaret Thatcher too. 
    I’m genuinely intrigued to know what he’d make of those two as comparators.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2393
    ICBM said:
    I don’t love PF for the technically impressive musicianship, I love them for the powerful songwriting - which is almost all Waters. The music isn’t quite incidental, but it is supportive rather than the point, for me. But I entirely understand that other people aren’t interested in the songwriting or find him positively offputting.
    One person's "powerful songwriting" is another person's "clumsy, laboured and self-absorbed". I'm in the latter camp, not that that would bother RW one jot.

I did see a student production of The Wall at the Edinburgh Fringe once, and that was pretty impressive, even though I've no patience with the record.

• Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Just listen to porcupine tree instead 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4118
    Just listen to porcupine tree instead 
    Wilson is a bit of moaning mini too, like Waters. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom