Watch a middle aged man who looks like a geography teacher play some guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• Poboy said:

And now I'm Johnny-ing about with a Boss DD8.
    Didn't realise a Dd8 could sound like like that. 
    I'm way behind on my pedal knowledge, but after seeing and hearing that, I want one....

Edit: There's more than just a delay going on there, right?
    Oh for sure.

So the DD8 is doing the short loopy hold thing. It's called glitch mode, and it just samples the last (n) milliseconds that you played. Kinda like a freeze pedal, but not really.

The rest of the ambience is part DD500, part DM2w, and part MXR Reverb.

The DD8 was new, so I wanted to try some textures with it.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Crikey, a lot of technology simply to generate noise.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    Yeah you already said that. You're more repetitive than an aged tape delay. Less cool though.

Bye!

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6807
    Rocker said:
    In a same way as you are? using your smart phone to post in this thread?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9099
    mrkb said:
    Rocker said:
    In a same way as you are? using your smart phone to post in this thread?
    Ah now leave @rocker alone… he’s obvs upset that the thread he set up to troll this thread got closed… he’s got nowhere to vent his frustration at the modern world and its new fangled technology anymore!…

I for one think that the more tech you can use to make “noise” is a glorious thing!… all sounds aces drew!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PoboyPoboy Frets: 431
    edited July 2021
    Poboy said:

I'm way behind on my pedal knowledge, but after seeing and hearing that, I want one....

Oh for sure.

So the DD8 is doing the short loopy hold thing. It's called glitch mode, and it just samples the last (n) milliseconds that you played. Kinda like a freeze pedal, but not really.

Ok, I'm even more pedal ignorant than I first feared....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nick13Nick13 Frets: 733
    Poboy said:

Oh for sure.

This was really cool and I now want all of these pedals as that tone/effect is something I'd get a shit load of use out of.
  • I could do more of a walkthrough style video for the glitchy ambient stuff if you fancy?

Bye!

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    My DM2-W arrived and it's really lovely as a simple three knob delay. 

Sits in the mix really nicely. Great into the front of the amp for that more organic tone.

@wiresDreamsDisasters interested how you deal with having to tweak the delay level with gain?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

I could do more of a walkthrough style video for the glitchy ambient stuff if you fancy?

That would be helpful.  I've currently just got an avelanche run for delay and an astral destiny for synthy echoey style stuff but it gets a but much at times.  Here's my stuff in question you'll hopefully agree a lot of clean bits in there could be using that effect stack you have on in your vid.

A run through would be great.

• My DM2-W arrived and it's really lovely as a simple three knob delay. 

Sits in the mix really nicely. Great into the front of the amp for that more organic tone.

@wiresDreamsDisasters interested how you deal with having to tweak the delay level with gain?
    I generally set it for my OD channel, and accept it as it is for the clean. You can also put a compressor after it for clean tones, that should help it pop a bit more.

It's a damn shame the expression pedal input only works for the rate!!

Bye!

• Nick13 said:

I could do more of a walkthrough style video for the glitchy ambient stuff if you fancy?

That would be helpful.  I've currently just got an avelanche run for delay and an astral destiny for synthy echoey style stuff but it gets a but much at times.  Here's my stuff in question you'll hopefully agree a lot of clean bits in there could be using that effect stack you have on in your vid.

That's really nice stuff Nick!! Yeah, loads of room in there for droney glitchy noise sounds. At the start of the post rock band song one, there's a high pitched sorta synth drone happening. What's doing that?? Some phat riffs in there when it gets heavy too! Very ISIS/Cult of Luna-esque. Right up my street. What sort of amps and pickups are you using there?

Bye!

edited July 2021
    Nick13 said:

That's really nice stuff Nick!! Yeah, loads of room in there for droney glitchy noise sounds. At the start of the post rock band song one, there's a high pitched sorta synth drone happening. What's doing that?? Some phat riffs in there when it gets heavy too! Very ISIS/Cult of Luna-esque. Right up my street. What sort of amps and pickups are you using there?

Cheers yeah both of those bands are big influences unsurprisingly!

That's the earthquaker astral destiny (massive plate verb combined with an octaver) set on shimmer mode. The avelanche run is on after it as well.

Used enyltirely different rigs for both songs as I was just testing stuff out.  The one called post rock band song I was using a SB les paul custom with the stock pickups which are whatever they were putting in them in 2013.  Amp was a diezel hagen.  No boosts used or anything but I use all 4 channels the lower gain bits are ch2 heavier bits ch3 and leads 4, cleans are 1 obviously.

The other one I used an esp horizon (because I didn't have the lp at that point).  It's stock  from '05 when I got it so just a jb/59.

amp wise on that one it was my engl invader 2 which is a surprisingly good choice of amp for this type of stuff.

Overall my rig for that band is the LP and diezel though, suits that style amazingly well imo.
  • We're guitar + amp brothers.

Bye!

edited July 2021
    Apparently I can't embed images but imagine a picture of "Dillon! You son of a bitch!" here
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• There we go! Balance is restored!

Bye!

• AdeyAdey Frets: 2262
    I've never bothered much with pedals, but having listened to Drew's first track I think I need to dig out all the ones I've got and connect them together, and then buy some more to fiddle about with.
    Then I just need to up my skill level..... a lot!
    Great stuff!
  • I did another one. A sort of post-gig tit about. Dual amp and cab setup here. My wife is Japanese.

Bye!

• I did another one. A sort of post-gig tit about. Dual amp and cab setup here. My wife is Japanese.

Is there any way that I can use my Axe FX to model a Japanese wife or should I go for a vintage original? 

Is there any way that I can use my Axe FX to model a Japanese wife or should I go for a vintage original? 
    Be careful with the vintage ones. They leak like an absolute mutha, and you'll empty your wallet out on them before your time is done!!!

Bye!