SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold original vgc 1979 Strat inc ohsc £1750 firm

What's Hot
DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7466
edited January 2022 in Guitars £
Picked this up in May from the gent that is @johnswiss.

I love the look and sound of the thing but I’m finding my other maple boarded Strat is my go to one despite it being heavily modded (or maybe that’s why I like it ?)

Up on here for what I paid - £2k plus delivery or pickup if you prefer.

The pickup cavity has been shielded and other than that it’s as it left the factory 42 years ago except some light natural relicing over the years - nothing major at all , just a few small scratches and dings.

Weighs in at 8lb 14 so although weighty in comparison to current Strats it’s certainly not a boat anchor like some I’ve had from the era.

Really need to clear £1,000 to pay off a Rickenbacker so happy to look at a makeweight trade offer as long as it’s not too obscure and something I’ll enjoy messing around with for a few months

Ta 

1reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7466
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

I’ve got loads more photos including pickups , cavity etc but don’t want to flood the thread with them. If you are keen to see them just pm me your email address and I’ll send them over.
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24934
    edited July 2021
    Worth mentioning that ‘browner’ looking sunbursts were very common around this period. The ‘traditional’ three-tone ‘red’ sunburst on this guitar may actually be the rarer option. (I’m not staying this as fact, it’s just anecdote based on what I saw on the walls of music shops when I was desperately saving for my first Strat).

Here’s an image of the finish I’m thing of:

Thanks @richardhomer ;

Had a couple of lovely trade offers but 
    unfortunately I went into my overdraft to buy this, I knew I’d have to sell one at some point and the maple board has won.

• ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 171
    It looks fab. Those browner sunbursts were just a tad later, there was a Sienna sunburst, also a Cherry sunburst, as well as that standard 3 tone, that would have all been later in 79 or maybe early 80 if I remember correctly (I worked at the time in a Fender Dealership and did the ordering). Somewhere I do have the catalogue for these other "newer" finishes. Then came the International series, and so forth, leading to the vintage re-issues. It was a short burst of effort trying to get Fender where people wanted it. This one is a great example of the start of this period of Fender at Fullerton getting it right again after a few dull years of six finish options and heavy bodies. GLWTS!
    edited July 2021
    Thanks @Zoonyboy , thats great info :-)
  • WBT2079WBT2079 Frets: 88
    edited July 2021
    The browner bursts i believe is the Tabacco sunburst paint code (525).   That is one lovely looking guitar though. If I didn’t already have a wine red hard tail I’d be tempted. GLWS.
  • johnswissjohnswiss Frets: 396
    @DrCornelius your photos do it much better justice than mine did. I can testify it's a really lovely old strat, has the sounds (and possibly smells) of the 70s all over it.
    I still have its 78 tele sibling in the same finish, one of the best finishes of that time imho. Glws mate
    Thanks John and without sounding too smug I have no idea how they came out so well as they are normally hopeless :-)
    edited September 2021
    Ignore me , I’m having a moment
    edited November 2021
    Sorry for the continued Phillipe Flopping , I need cash but I don’t really want to sell the guitar. The classic Fretboard quandary.

Back up FS please someone buy it quickly so I’m committed to a decision!

edited October 2021
    On hold !
  • Still FS , I’ve nearly sold this twice now but the chain of sales haven’t worked out for the buyers . It’s still here but this is as low as I can go price wise.

Help me build my GAS fund folks !
  • That's blooming lovely - I just love the big 70s headstocks!
    edited October 2021
    Thanks Matt , I’ve got two - the other one has a big fat maple neck which I love . This rosewood one feels a lot more 60s C  (as described by the very knowledgeable @Earl_Grey when he picked up an amp this week. He also played the guitars far better than I ever have :-( )

• I’ve sold 2 amps this week and managed to avoid buying anything so withdrawing this for now until GAS hits again (probably overnight when I look again at a Trent )
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6077
    I’ve sold 2 amps this week and managed to avoid buying anything so withdrawing this for now until GAS hits again (probably overnight when I look again at a Trent )
    I'll send you the spec I'd like ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajl said:
    I’ve sold 2 amps this week and managed to avoid buying anything so withdrawing this for now until GAS hits again (probably overnight when I look again at a Trent )
    Haha , that made me laugh Dazz :-)
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6077
    dazzajl said:
    Haha , that made me laugh Dazz :-)
    I'll take that. I was expecting a go forth and multiply :3
    edited November 2021
    Let’s try this again as I need some folding money 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom