2»

Comments

• LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    edited July 2021
    lukedlb said:
    Lewy said:
    garfy said:
    lukedlb said:
    Neo Instruments all the way. The big version is often found on Hammond players too and sounds amazing on guitar. The new 122 and 16 are both great and specific for the demands of a guitarist. I have two real leslies at home and these pedals are just as good, at times better. 
    Thanks for the insight, the Micro 122 is my choice and can’t wait to try it. 
    I have the 16 and it’s great, although I’d prefer the Blend to have more control at the lower end
    I would assume that's down to the leslie 16 sound; there is no bass speaker, just an 8" or 10" since cone meaning that any bass (or highs) would be from the dry signal. Leslie 16s were run with a crossover cable so that the bass and treble were handled by the guitar amp's actual speakers with the mids going to the leslie.
    On the other hand a 122 provides two speakers (15" and tweeter).
    Interesting! By low end I mean at lower settings btw not low end as in bass frequencies. In other words, the blend knob introduces too much effect too early for my tastes. I can get the blend I want, but it involves having it set virtually all the way off and it would be nice to have more play.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Lewy said:
    lukedlb said:
    Lewy said:
    garfy said:
    lukedlb said:
    Neo Instruments all the way. The big version is often found on Hammond players too and sounds amazing on guitar. The new 122 and 16 are both great and specific for the demands of a guitarist. I have two real leslies at home and these pedals are just as good, at times better. 
    I have the 16 and it’s great, although I’d prefer the Blend to have more control at the lower end
    I would assume that's down to the leslie 16 sound; there is no bass speaker, just an 8" or 10" since cone meaning that any bass (or highs) would be from the dry signal. Leslie 16s were run with a crossover cable so that the bass and treble were handled by the guitar amp's actual speakers with the mids going to the leslie.
    Interesting! By low end I mean at lower settings btw not low end as in bass frequencies. In other words, the blend knob introduces too much effect too early for my tastes. I can get the blend I want, but it involves having it set virtually all the way off and it would be nice to have more play.

Forgive me; I’m taking bass lessons and the course welcomes low end lovers ;D
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 191
    I think you would be very happy with the Micro Vent. I’ve owned several rotary simulators, including the Lex. One thing I just don’t understand is how anyone uses a rotary simulator without a mix control. When I ran the Lex on my live board I actually used a LS2 to control the mix. Otherwise the effect level is so high - which is fine I guess, but it sounds nothing at all like the wonderful SRV tones etc that I was chasing in my head.

I replaced the Lex with a Nux Roctary. I was actually with the Nux. I thought it sounded as good as the Lex, but with the all-important mix control. Very good pedal that I have no hesitation in recommending. 

But then I happened to have a few pounds sitting in my PayPal account and spotted a Micro Vent for sale. I’m not sure I can honestly say that the Micro Vent sounds better than the Nux, but I like the small size for my board. The big advantage of the Micro Vent is the small size. The advantage of the Nux is that it has a dedicated speed button. You can get the same function on the Micro Vent - you just have to hold the foot switch down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    johnhe said:
    I think you would be very happy with the Micro Vent. I’ve owned several rotary simulators, including the Lex. One thing I just don’t understand is how anyone uses a rotary simulator without a mix control. When I ran the Lex on my live board I actually used a LS2 to control the mix. Otherwise the effect level is so high - which is fine I guess, but it sounds nothing at all like the wonderful SRV tones etc that I was chasing in my head.

I replaced the Lex with a Nux Roctary. I was actually with the Nux. I thought it sounded as good as the Lex, but with the all-important mix control. Very good pedal that I have no hesitation in recommending. 

But then I happened to have a few pounds sitting in my PayPal account and spotted a Micro Vent for sale. I’m not sure I can honestly say that the Micro Vent sounds better than the Nux, but I like the small size for my board. The big advantage of the Micro Vent is the small size. The advantage of the Nux is that it has a dedicated speed button. You can get the same function on the Micro Vent - you just have to hold the foot switch down.
    Interesting. So Micro Vent 122 or 16 for SRV, Dave Gilmour, Joe Perry? Some of the 122 demos I’ve seen sound almost like a Hammond organ simulator, which wouldn’t be the intended effect.
  • SidNewtonSidNewton Frets: 660
    I recently bought the Neo Micro Vent 122 off a fellow forum member. It is a wonderful thing.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4226
    johnhe said:
    IOne thing I just don’t understand is how anyone uses a rotary simulator without a mix control. When I ran the Lex on my live board I actually used a LS2 to control the mix. Otherwise the effect level is so high - which is fine I guess, but it sounds nothing at all like the wonderful SRV tones etc that I was chasing in my head.
    Definitely! On the Vent 16 I'm finding that for anything other than the "Cold Shot" sound where the effect is high in the mix, I'm keeping the blend knob down around 9 o'clock.
  • garfygarfy Frets: 144
    lukedlb said:

Lewy said:
    lukedlb said:
    Lewy said:
    garfy said:
    lukedlb said:

Forgive me; I’m taking bass lessons and the course welcomes low end lovers ;D
    I went with the 122, its a great pedal, has 3 fixed speeds for the slow speed and the switching options are really clever. The sound is just what I was after..the blend can be quite tricky to get just right and around 9 is about right, but you can alter the volume level in global to be -3db which may help..ill experiment. Otherwise on a small board like mine, its near as perfect as I can get, of course id love the full on version but space is at a premium.
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    edited July 2021
    I really like the one in the Mobius. It doesn't seem to get much attention compared to the other sounds it does, but it delivers the goods pretty well.

Edit: there's a good one in the BOSS GT-1000 (both the full fat and the Core) which I assume is the same algorithm as the one in the MD-500. That works really well with an expression pedal for changing the speed or depth (or both together).
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12667
    Interesting that nobody mentioned Fender The Pinwheel.
    Great sounds and built like a tank. I’ve enjoyed owning mine but will probably move it on as I don’t really use it.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3423
    Pigtronix do the Rototron which sounds great - but it’s big and needs 18v. There’s also the old H&K rotosphere too, although again big and picky on power.