Big songs you don't like from bands you love

What's Hot

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    the_jaffa said:
    The Drugs Don't Work by Verve

Their only number one, riding on the coattails of BSS but it's got nothing on their normal stuff. Richard Ashcroft solo single tripe really.

I love Verve and have seen them more than any other band but that sticks out as a very low point for me

I actually love that song, that's what got me into liking the Verve in fact! Didn't know them before that song but that one really got me. Having looked at when it was released I was only 10 years old at the time! But I remember thinking... Wow this is different than the normal music they play on radio on breakfast show! 

Vive la difference!

Certainly if that was my worst song I'd be more than chuffed!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 454
    ICBM said:
    Free - All Right Now
    REM - Shiny Happy People

And if solo artists count... Neil Young - Pocahontas and Cortez The Killer.
    How... how dare you?!

I jest, of course - I'm a fairly recent convert to Neil Young, so I heard Cortez the Killer (along with a shit load of his other songs) for the first time last year, so for me it's all fresh and new.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    Apart from the title track and (at a push) ‘So Far Away’ - the whole of the Brothers in Arms album. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72333
    Mattharrier said:

How... how dare you?!

I jest, of course - I'm a fairly recent convert to Neil Young, so I heard Cortez the Killer (along with a shit load of his other songs) for the first time last year, so for me it's all fresh and new.
    The guitar parts are great... the lyrics (as with Pocahontas) are utter drivel and massively annoy me!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22811
    Again a band I like rather than love, but Def Leppard have a couple of absolute stinkers among their greatest hits - Pour Some Sugar On Me and, even worse, Let's Get Rocked.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17609
    tFB Trader
    Creep by Radiohead along with everything else on Pablo Honey.

I like Shiny Happy People but I can't stand Everybody Hurts.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Anything the Manics did post Holy Bible I really cant stand. Which was the era they had all their hits. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Hi Ho Silver Lining by Jeff Beck!!! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    Philly_Q said:
    Again a band I like rather than love, but Def Leppard have a couple of absolute stinkers among their greatest hits - Pour Some Sugar On Me and, even worse, Let's Get Rocked.
    I’m sorry mate, here’s my confession- Let’s Get Rocked is catchy and fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Redlester said:
    Philly_Q said:
    So is Agadoo, but... 

To think a bunch of 30-something British men wrote those lyrics, it's an absolute embarrassment... (I'm still talking about Let's Get Rocked).

But hey, all opinions are valid.  Loads of people hate Cherry Pie (including the guy who wrote it, RIP), but I think it's a work of genius.... and supposedly it was inspired by Pour Some Sugar On Me, so I must be an idiot.
  • JMS96JMS96 Frets: 137

I like Shiny Happy People but I can't stand Everybody Hurts.
    Love REM. Hate Shiny Happy People. I used to hate Everybody Hurts until I watched it played live (Glastonbury?) It was an amazing moment - the song revealed itself to me. Now love it. 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4521
    Redlester said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I see what you did there.  =)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Philly_Q said:
    If @Reverend reads this he'll think I'm insane, but I don't particularly like Stargazer by Rainbow - it's good, but I don't think it's quite the absolute monster classic it's supposed to be.  I love Dio's vocal on it but I think the instrumental bit in the middle goes on too long.  Even when I was 15 I wasn't that crazy about it.

Wow, I particularly love the instrumental/ solo, peak Blackmore for me, especially that fast ascending run which is so accurate & immpossible to play right. (unless you're fastonebaz :)

Anyway my nomination is  'Walk of Life' which is a surprisingly crap effort for the venerable M. Knopfler and D.S's.

Redlester said:
    Philly_Q said:
    I see what you did there.  =)
    And I totally missed it...
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Guns n Roses - sweet child o mine 
    Oasis - Wonderwall
    Bon Jovi - Always 
    Bryan Adam’s - summer of 69

gordiji said:
    Philly_Q said:
    If @Reverend reads this he'll think I'm insane, but I don't particularly like Stargazer by Rainbow - it's good, but I don't think it's quite the absolute monster classic it's supposed to be.  I love Dio's vocal on it but I think the instrumental bit in the middle goes on too long.  Even when I was 15 I wasn't that crazy about it.

Wow, I particularly love the instrumental/ solo, peak Blackmore for me, especially that fast ascending run which is so accurate & immpossible to play right. (unless you're fastonebaz :)

There you go see, it's because I'm a rubbish guitar player than I've failed to appreciate it all these years... I'm tempted to backpedal now... but no, that's my honest opinion.

And let's admit it, I like the Long Live Rock 'n' Roll album better than Rising.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3008
    The Importance of being Idle - Oasis.  

It had been coming for a while, but the song told me their best years were  well and truly gone. Boring, predictable, the end of an era. 
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Should I Stay or Should I Go - The Clash 
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2412
    Rocking In The Free World -- Neil Young. I'm a massive fan even of most of his 'difficult' stuff but that has no merit at all.

Something -- The Beatles. Pure cheese.

• ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Philly_Q said:
    gordiji said:
    Philly_Q said:

There you go see, it's because I'm a rubbish guitar player than I've failed to appreciate it all these years... I'm tempted to backpedal now... but no, that's my honest opinion.

And let's admit it, I like the Long Live Rock 'n' Roll album better than Rising.
    Overall llrnr is the better album but im afraid you'll not be able to appreciate it from the padded cell.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom