NEW Tonemaster Fender Super Reverb!

What's Hot

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    I wonder if all the anti TM people also drive manual cars rather than autos because, well, it's more real.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    edited August 2021
    rlw said:
    I wonder if all the anti TM people also drive manual cars rather than autos because, well, it's more real.

That analogy doesn't work because essentially the TM is an automatic that still has a clutch and a gear stick that you have to use to change the gears. Or it's an electric car that has an elaborate sound system that generates petrol engine noises.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • When I play through my TMDR I never feel like I’m playing through a computer/modeller. I really don’t. I actually feel like and I’m telling myself I’m playing through a valve deluxe reverb. Don’t know about anyone else?. The look of it definitely plays that trick rather than looking down at what looks to be a pretty spaceship with lots of nice lights.

Exactly. It's largely because most modellers model the amp, cab, speaker, microphone and a bit of recording chain so you get the sound of a Deluxe Reverb in a room at Abbey Road or whatever. That's lovely, but not the same as the TM, which only models the amp, and then feeds that into a real speaker and cab to give you the sound of a Deluxe Reverb in your own house. 

It also looks and feels like an amp to use, which I'm sure can't hurt.
    Absolutely!

Looking forward to Head to head of the Super on “The Pedal Show” I reckon they will love this. 
    nah. 

They'll plug it in, make no effort to make it sound as the real deal, then conclude "yeah it sounds OK I suppose but its not as good as the valve version". 

There's literally no point watching TPS review anything digital and/or modelling. They've dismissed it (unconciously) before plugging it in. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4701
    Lewy said:
    rlw said:

That analogy doesn't work because essentially the TM is an automatic that still has a clutch and a gear stick that you have to use to change the gears. Or it's an electric car that has an elaborate sound system that generates petrol engine noises.

I'm not sure it was even an attempt at an anology but whatever.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  
    Absolutely!

Looking forward to Head to head of the Super on “The Pedal Show” I reckon they will love this. Hopefully they play around with the controls more and don’t compare with the same settings. Forgive me if I’m wrong on that it was a while ago since I watched it 
    I reckon they'll hate it :D 
    100%. They should get the Captain and do a blindfold test. That would be interesting 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    edited August 2021
    I did an audition at the weekend & my Tonemaster held its own against an AC30. No one commented that it didn’t sound valve enough. Or not Fendery enough. 

The real benefit was carrying it to my car with one hand. Loading it into the boot. My flight cased Blackstar Artisan 30 is a two person lift. 

I really think these amps are the future. What I’d like to see is someone like Marshall do a lightweight Bluesbreaker. Even with a different front end. Perhaps a valve preamp/class D hybrid? 

The compact class D power amps sound vastly superior. I remember the original Cyber Twin & Cyber Deluxe. I had one & it was so susceptible to electrical interference. I used to pick up noises from the lady upstairs sex toys. It ended up being a house amp. Simply because I didn’t trust it. 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    rze99 said:
    I’m clearly alone in this, but I find the idea of buying a modelling amp with one model completely nuts. 

It's probably for this reason that they seem to work really. There's always going to be lots of compromise if you try to make one box and speaker sound like lots of different amps. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    rze99 said:
    I’m clearly alone in this, but I find the idea of buying a modelling amp with one model completely nuts. 
    The way I see this is that it’s not a modelling amp, it’s an amp which uses modelling technology to provide a lighter, more robust, more affordable implementation of a classic amp design. Flipping your proposition upside down why would you bother with the flexibility and UI complexity of something like a Kemper if you’re only ever going to use a Super Reverb model?
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3217
    jeztone2 said:
    I remember the original Cyber Twin & Cyber Deluxe… I used to pick up noises from the lady upstairs sex toys. 
    A very ‘interesting’ use of the cyber twin, did you advertise its services?  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27070
    Big wis for @Jaygee. And let’s be honest, they’re also half the price of the “proper” ones, and 1/3 the price of a proper one plus a decent attenuator…
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5759
    People need to stop praising this thing.

I’m sure it’s fabulous but we’ve got essentially the same amp in three different size shoes and a new hat from the Tone Master range now. Fender will never get on with making the badass 4x10 Tweedy beast that I personally want to see if we keep liking these ones ;)
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4225
    dazzajl said:

I’m sure it’s fabulous but we’ve got essentially the same amp in three different size shoes and a new hat from the Tone Master range now. 
    Get your point but I kind of hope we haven't got the same amp in different sizes...i.e. they have modelled the valve and transformer differences and not just smashed a generic blackface model into different cabs?
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    Lewy said:
    dazzajl said:

I’m sure it’s fabulous but we’ve got essentially the same amp in three different size shoes and a new hat from the Tone Master range now. 
    Get your point but I kind of hope we haven't got the same amp in different sizes...i.e. they have modelled the valve and transformer differences and not just smashed a generic blackface model into different cabs?
    I would also hope that was the case, they wouldn't be far off each other is my guess though and the speakers and enclosure might make more of a difference. 

The Super having the original-spec ri alnico Jensen's is a real draw for me - I love those speakers, regardless of how accurate they are. 

A 2x10 'Vibrolux' version of the same amp, literally lobbing off two speakers, would be awesome for me personally. Otherwise I'm keen to see what they can do with a tweed Deluxe/Super/Twin or brownface Deluxe or Vibrolux. Switching vibrato circuits between blackface 'photocell', brownface/Princeton 'bias' and the fancy brownface phasey one would be a welcome under-the-bonnet tweak too. 

Keen to get hold of one sometime soon!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dazzajl said:

I’m sure it’s fabulous but we’ve got essentially the same amp in three different size shoes and a new hat from the Tone Master range now. Fender will never get on with making the badass 4x10 Tweedy beast that I personally want to see if we keep liking these ones ;)
    I can’t see that this is the case any more than all blackface amps were the same with different speakers. Certainly the Twin and the Deluxe Reverb are markedly different - I’m looking forward to the Super Reverb! 
  • Lewy said:
    dazzajl said:

I would also hope that was the case, they wouldn't be far off each other is my guess though and the speakers and enclosure might make more of a difference. 

The Super having the original-spec ri alnico Jensen's is a real draw for me - I love those speakers, regardless of how accurate they are. 

A 2x10 'Vibrolux' version of the same amp, literally lobbing off two speakers, would be awesome for me personally. Otherwise I'm keen to see what they can do with a tweed Deluxe/Super/Twin or brownface Deluxe or Vibrolux. Switching vibrato circuits between blackface 'photocell', brownface/Princeton 'bias' and the fancy brownface phasey one would be a welcome under-the-bonnet tweak too. 

Keen to get hold of one sometime soon!
    This remains my dream situation. That or Marshall putting out something using the tech and giving me a really tough call to make wrt my 1974x.
  • C'mon Fender and do the bloody Vibroverb. It's what most people want =)
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    C'mon Fender and do the bloody Vibroverb. It's what most people want =)
    Vibroverb. I meant vibroverb too. Give us the vibroverb, along with a Jeff Buckley signature Tele. Thanks. 
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5759
    Don’t take what I’m saying too literally. I know they’re not the same amp and I hope too that they are each individual models. They are all Blackface amps with trem and verb though and that does seem very lacking in the diversity of Fender amps to choose from. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72403
    dazzajl said:

I can’t see that this is the case any more than all blackface amps were the same with different speakers. Certainly the Twin and the Deluxe Reverb are markedly different - I’m looking forward to the Super Reverb! 
    I would hope they've done the job properly and modelled the differences in power supply sag, transformer characteristics etc. While it's absolutely true that all the BF amps from the Deluxe upwards share the same basic circuit design, the differences between valve and solid-state rectifiers, and transformer sizes and ratios, make a substantial difference even ignoring the speakers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein