I love this forum but.....

What's Hot
Why is it so hard to post pics !!!
used imgur a few months ago went to try and upload tried 8 times succesful once but can't remember what i did ! .
why can't the forum have a easy uploading system like ebay ? of does that cost money ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Imgur has stopped working on my phone which is irritating. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    It costs money and time to develop. It would be a substantial upgrade, and we want the forum to be free to use and ad free as well.

To get eBay style features (including the enormous storage required) would mean subs and ads everywhere 
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    It costs money and time to develop. It would be a substantial upgrade, and we want the forum to be free to use and ad free as well.

To get eBay style features (including the enormous storage required) would mean subs and ads everywhere 
    No problem i thought it must be something like this ,the amount of people who struggle posting pics must be 50% of the forum , i can't believe there is not some computer wizard on here who could devise a better style template to post pics ..
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    Fuengi said:
    Imgur has stopped working on my phone which is irritating. 
    Same here. I have to send the pic from my phone to my email and then on the laptop upload the image to imgur. PITA  :s
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27470
    @Roland ;

Per our previous discussion!

@fuengi

Android or Apple?  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    ironic thing is ive been trying on the test page about 8 times once it worked but can i hell remember what i done  =)
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Uploading a pic via an iPhone isn’t an issue for me, unless you’re talking about using a laptop?
    mark123 said:
    ironic thing is ive been trying on the test page about 8 times once it worked but can i hell remember what i done  =)
    I did put together a series of “how to” instructions a while back.  They need updating.  When hosts change their services, when OSes get updated, and when there’s a change of month (it seems), what worked previously can stop working.

Hence need to keep the instructions up to date.

The main variables are ...
    • image host
    • device type (PC/laptop, tablet, phone)
    • OS used, and potentially OS version too
    • user competence ( ;) )

• prowlaprowla Frets: 4916
    For me, I typically want to present an image which is in a file (eg. JPG or PNG) and I'll upload it to imgur.

1. Get an image and upload it to imgur.

2. View the image in imgur and Copy Image Link.

3. At the top of the "Leave a comment" panel pull down the Image URL menu.

4. Paste the Image Link from imgur and press Down Arrow.

5. The image is embedded.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5157
    mark123 said:
    used imgur a few months ago went to try and upload tried 8 times succesful once but can't remember what i did ! .
    why can't the forum have a easy uploading system like ebay ? of does that cost money ?
    My work colleagues call me techie tone…if I can upload from Imgur then anyone can… B)
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    To be fair, the procedure to post an image here is really, really weird. I've been an Internet forum junkie since the days when Netscape Navigator was new and fashionable and posted pictures using pretty much every forum software package around, and this one is nothing like any of the others. 

(And all of this is assuming that we have already taken care of the part that befuddles most people - hosting and uploading the image - and simply want to link to it.)

So what is to be done about it? Probably nothing. Think of it as being like the secret Masonic handshake: if you can't remember how to do it, then you are probably not cut out to be a Mason anyway.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26578
    mark123 said:
    The reasons are a) simple, and b) two-fold:

1 - Hosting costs. The sheer cost of storage is immense, and would easily double (and more) our existing hosting costs.

2 - Copyright and defamation liability. Hosting user-uploaded images would require us to take responsibility for breaches of copyright and defamation from people copying images, or uploading parody images (or both!). That's a level of human resource and management that we're just not set up for.
    <space for hire>
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6680
    I simply don't get it. Posting a pic here is as simple as taking a piss. 

Maybe phone to imgur is tricky, maybe some of the hosting sites aren't compatible with Vanilla, but OK, it then it takes one extra step. Loading via handshaker or sending a pic from phone to computer isn't crochet science (mumsnet reference there). 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5430
    By the way, for those who don't have their own hosting, it is simple, and very cheap. Simply open an account with any reputable web hosting company. You get: 

* Unlimited image hosting (within reason)
    * No-one can stop hosting your images or mangle them or put bloody watermarks on them. They are yours.
    * No-one tracks the people viewing your images for commercial gain.
    * If you don't like your hosting company, moving to a new one is easy-peasy - and you don't need to change bookmarks, email addresses, anything. No-one except you will even know you have changed providers.
    * Unlimited no-snoop, no-Google email accounts - any address you like, such as yourname@yourname.co.uk
    * Change email addresses any time you like. For example, sign up for stuff you don't quite trust with the address spam@yourname.co.uk. If you start getting too much crap, start using spam2@yourname.co.uk. Or (even better) set up a catch-all, then whenever you give out your address, use their name  - e.g., harrods@yourname.co.uk or sainsburys@yourname.co.uk. Then, if you start getting crapmail from all over, you can tell exactly which barstards handed your address over to the spammers.
    * Your own website (if desired)
    * Various other benefits I can't think of at the moment. 

Cost is something like twenty quid a year. Peanuts. (I pay more than that but I have some extras not relevant here.)
  • tekbowtekbow Frets: 1699
    edited July 2021
    From android, presuming you have the imgur app installed

- Open phone gallery
    - Select the pics you want to upload (usually a long tap to 'tick' the first one, then a series of short taps to select the rest)
    - the share icon should be visible by this point. If not tap the 3 dot icon and select share.
    - a list of apps will appear, select imgur.
    - wait a second and imgur will open.
    - give the album a name (or select private and don't)
    - hit ok or upload.
    - after uploading, select the image you want to post.
    - tap share then copy link.
    - copy the link making sure it's the one that ends with .jpg
    - come back to the forum or post and tap the little icon at the top of the reply box that looks like sheet of paper with the corner folded over.
    - paste the link in the box that appears and hit space.
    - your image will appear wherever the cursor was.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    I use Apple iPhone, ipad and Mac and it really is so simple to post images.

It takes about 3 seconds literally with Imgur.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    TTony said:
    @Roland ;

Per our previous discussion!

@fuengi

Android or Apple?  
    Android. 
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4775
    Because I've had a free DropBox account for years, I upload a pic to that and put the link (slightly amended as per the guidance in the forum) into the post. Slightly more effort than Facebook, but not much.
    edited July 2021

@Fuengi ;
    From imgur via my (Android) phone. 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10405
    I have a bit of ftp space, not much, only about 500Mb that I've had for years but it's enough to host all the pics I want to and it means I don't have to go near those rancid image hosting sites. 

You can get FTP hosting for about £3 a month, maybe a bit less. Although imgur works I can't stand all the adverts and would rather pay for hosting
    www.2020studios.co.uk