What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25101
    edited June 2020
    Errementari
    Fantasy horror about a blacksmith who makes a pact with a demon, with disastrous consequences.  Set in the 19th century, this takes a while to get going but once it does it's excellent, with cool men-in-suits demons, quirky fairy-tale elements and plenty of humour.  It reminded me of Sleepy Hollow and especially The Day of the Beast.  And I think it's the first Basque-language film I've seen!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6317
    edited June 2020
    artiebear said:
    west said:
    The House That Jack Built

Well that was bleak...certainly not your average Friday night popcorn movie with the family, but riveting nonetheless. Surreal foray into the nature of good vs evil. 

Looking forward to checking out this director’s other work. 

9.5/10

Breaking the waves is my fave i love emily watson ... but its bleak ... i also like anti christ some of the imagery is fantastic ... i love charlotte gaisbourg  lol .
    I thought I was the only person on earth who had heard of, never mind loved this film. As an aside the harbour/ village stuff was filmed in Mallaig, my alternative hang out for many a year.. I agree, Emily Watson is brilliant in just about every role I have seen her play.
    I loved Breaking the Waves, saw it in cinema. Those huge WS landscapes that frame some of the scenes were breathtaking on a big screen.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Hagazussa (2019)  Labelled by some as Germany's answer to The VVitch, all I can say is

America 1  - Germany   0

To be fair, I do think that buried not far beneath the surface of this self-indulgent failure is the potential for a really interesting film about what it means to be a witch's daughter and to accept the dark side: the powers it brings and the price it extracts. But this dull dog of a movie isn't it. Long, long, long shots which - though often visually beautiful - don't further the already threadbare narrative. Lots of things in it don't really make sense and things are hinted at but never tied together in a satisfying way. If you want a truly great folk horror film, November or The VVitch are going to give you much more enjoyable watching experiences, and you won't feel like you spent 99 minutes of your time on earth for no reward.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    The films I watch are family/ MrsTheWeary choices for the most part which is why I end up watching things I’m not all that interested in. Tonight’s uninteresting choice - Solo: A Star Wars Story. 
    Reasonably entertaining romp and goes through and ticks all the boxes you’d want from the Han Solo origin story without many surprises. And nice to see Cathy ( Erin Kellyman) from the much missed Raised by Wolves. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The films I watch are family/ MrsTheWeary choices for the most part which is why I end up watching things I’m not all that interested in.

You're earning mad marriage brownie points, though. That has to come in handy for the next  bit-over-budget NGD :)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    The films I watch are family/ MrsTheWeary choices for the most part which is why I end up watching things I’m not all that interested in.

You're earning mad marriage brownie points, though. That has to come in handy for the next  bit-over-budget NGD :)
    You’d think. And then she ends up looking at Twitter during films half the time. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    edited June 2020
    Hereditary 

Pretty run of the mill horror movie, until the last 30 minutes. I shat myself! Which is the best endorsement I can give. 7/10.
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I quite want to watch that, but I’m not really very good with some types of horror stuff. Thrillers, suspense, violence etc etc. I can handle... but certain Horror films I struggle with.

Polar
    An about-to-retire hitman falls foul of his employer, who wants to avoid paying his pension.  More than a hint of John Wick...  
    I thought it would be a dark, gritty thriller because it has Mads Mikkelsen in it, but it's mostly flashy, superficial nonsense (lots of needlessly unpleasant "comedy" violence and a sex scene straight out of Porky's) combined with a much more serious subplot which seems to belong in a different film.  It's not terrible, but don't expect too much.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    andyp said:
    I quite want to watch that, but I’m not really very good with some types of horror stuff. Thrillers, suspense, violence etc etc. I can handle... but certain Horror films I struggle with.

I had to sleep in my Mum and Dad's room after watching Hammer's 'The house that bled' when I was, I guess, 9.

I'd imagine if a 9 year old was unfortunate enough to see Hereditary today they'd be wanting the same aftercare, and some!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    andyp said:

I’m with you on that. Dog Soldiers, while a really good film, really messes with my head. 

Event Horizon is another one that’s very good but really freaks me out, although not as bad as a mate of mine who had to sleep with the light on after seeing it. 

I don’t really watch horror for that reason, unless it’s just a good beastie movie, like Alien - I can just about cope with stuff like that. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Deadman said:
    andyp said:

I had to sleep in my Mum and Dad's room after watching Hammer's 'The house that bled' when I was, I guess, 9.

I'd imagine if a 9 year old was unfortunate enough to see Hereditary today they'd be wanting the same aftercare, and some!
    To quote Bart Simpson - "If you don't watch the violence, you'll never get desensitized to it."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12886
    When I was 11 I stayed at a mates house. His dad persuaded us we should watch the omen then went to bed and left us to it. 

Love horror films but don’t think I’ve ever quite recovered. 
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    Primal Fear.  Legal thriller, loads of genre cliches and false notes and a major twist that's hoping you won't think too hard about how implausible some of the earlier parts of the movie look with hindsight.  Old fashioned too, there's a criminal psychology strand that feels like it's coming from 50s pulp when Freud still seemed dangerous and glamorous (and plausible) - to film directors at least. Excellent performance by Richard Gere, an actor I’ve perhaps tended to underrate because the media used to irritatingly try to sell him as a heartthrob when he never fitted my idea of one, not that I’m claiming to be a judge of what women like. Bravura, possibly career-making performance by a young Edward Norton: how much you enjoy it will depend on your taste for very actorly actors playing nutters with all guns blazing. I thought it a tad OTT.  Despite its obvious flaws, solid entertainment. 7/10.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2020
    I’m glad it’s not just me with the horror stuff then!

I’m 40, but I’ve just never been into them and don’t generally find horror films enjoyable, although I’ve seen my fair share. I can’t quite put my finger on what gets me, but I think it’s the supernatural / ghostly type stuff mainly. The Babadook freaked me out, whereas I just watched Midsommar a couple of days ago and found that completely fine. I’m not sure if that’s a horror film though. I re-watched Event Horizon a few weeks ago, first time I’d seen it since it was new and really liked it still, but it’s not something I’d want to watch often.

I’ve seen most of the more “modern” classics at some stage (think Halloween, The Exorcist etc) but the only one that really stuck with me and I wouldn’t really want to watch again was Nightmare on Elm Street... I was about 13 when I saw that though.

Oh, another I’d not seen in a long time was The Silence of The Lambs... I watched that last night and thought it was excellent. Much better than I remembered. But it’s in that type of genre that I’m ok with that I mentioned earlier... I’ll call that type of film “grim, but not horror”.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    I’d call myself a horror fan, but I really don’t like the sadistic stuff like Hostel or the Saw series. Just seems gross for the sake of it. My absolute favourites are the old Hammer/Amicus films from the 60s and 70s, things like Pit and the Pendulum, Dr Terrors House of Horrors, The Devil Rides Out, basically anything with Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing or Valerie Leon. 

Having vowed never to watch The Exorcist again after seeing it back in the 70s and feeling really freaked out afterwards, I did finally rewatch it fairly recently. It looks very dated now and the effects are pretty clunky. It still does the build up of suspense element well, though The Omen has stood up to time so much better overall. 
    I totally agree on the likes of  Saw (I've seen it once) and Hostel (never seen it, but a mate said he was really disturbed by it). I see them as being something else a wee bit different to Horror films maybe.

I've really enjoyed sitting watching a film at night the last few days, I need to do it more often. By the time we get the kids to bed and I get sorted out, it's often just a wee bit too late to start a 2 hour film and I don't generally like splitting over 2 or more sittings if I can help it.

Sorry for causing this tangent. As you were. :)

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25560
    Rampage.

Popcorn monster movie with Dwayne Johnson.
    Had everything a silly monster film needs to have. Shadowy corporations / govt forces, friendly monster, enough jokes.

This one had something extra though - the worst actress I've ever seen gets eaten alive. How she keeps getting work I do not know.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    I watched Philadelphia last night for the first time ever.

Absolutely seismic. 10/10.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7420
    watched Jojo Rabbit this weekend. Very good / tremendously bleak. Im a big fan of Taika Waititi mind you, so was always likely to rate it.