What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    American Sniper.

Bit odd really. It wasn't a war film, and it wasn't a fucked up veteran PTSD film. It was a bit of a mix.
    Cooper was really good but the story itself was bland.

I haven't read the book and I don't know if the book has more of a human element to it that might have made the film more interesting. 

The direction was competent, but it does feel like Clint is playing a bit safe these days. Obviously he's now 90 and no doubt set in his ways, but he's done much better.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3346
    Philly_Q said:
    Dopesick said:
    Parasite

Fucking amazing.  EDIT: Dumbass spoilers removed.
    Aaargh!  Spoilers!  I haven't seen it yet and I'm trying to avoid knowing anything about it.
    You must be the last person to see it in the world!
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25557
    Philly_Q said:
    Dopesick said:
    Parasite

Aaargh!  Spoilers!  I haven't seen it yet and I'm trying to avoid knowing anything about it.
    I haven't seen it yet.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    fretmeister said:

I haven't seen it yet.
    Nor have I!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25099
    Philly_Q said:
    Dopesick said:
    Parasite

I haven't seen it yet.

I know I'm behind the times, but I didn't see it in the cinema and it's only recently come out on Blu-ray/streaming platforms, all of which (I think) involve having to pay extra when there's loads of stuff I can watch for "free" (under existing subscriptions).  I'm being miserly, but I can wait.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28746
    Me neither
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16666
    Nor me. 
    My son has paid for it on Play Movies so I suspect I will at some point. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I did start watching A Hill in Korea a couple of nights ago, black and white film about British soldiers in Korea. Michael Caine's first credited role and he was also the technical advisor ( having served in Korea). Apparently they ignored his advice and it looked like the British army were having a bit of a walking holiday in Portugal ( where it was filmed). I gave up and went to bed. It was still better than Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DarnWeightDarnWeight Frets: 2573
    Crawl

Jaws, but with 'Gators...In a hurricane-ravaged Florida town as the levee is about to break.  Really decent pulpy horror/suspense movie.  Clocks in at bang on an hour and a half, and hits that B-movie sweet spot full in the face. Sam Raimi gets a production credit, and it shows.  Very entertaining!
    YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74477
    Suburbicon

Black comedy set in an American new-build suburb in the 1950s. Matt Damon and Julianne Moore are the main stars, directed by George Clooney and written by the Coen brothers. It was panned by the critics and didn't do well with audiences either, but since I generally like all of those involved I thought I'd give it a go.

And the critics are wrong.

It's really quite good - the main plot is very dark, and although you quickly work out what's going on it remains slightly unpredictable even right up to the end, as well as having some good set-ups that you (intentionally) see coming. There's a sub-plot involving racial tension which ties in well and contrasts with the main story. Damon in particular is excellent and very believable as his character's life unravels - it's a classic Coen plot really, but told slightly straighter by Clooney than they would have, which suits the white-picket-fence setting very well.

Strong 7/10... 8 would maybe be slightly too generous but it's pretty good.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6544
    Late Night. Emma Thompson as a talk show host past her prime and nasty with it. Add a plot stolen from Ugly Betty and John Lithgow as an underused minor character. Terrible. And ironically - as the whole plot is about the show's poor writing - the writing of this film is awful. Not a single laugh in it, the characters are all very flat and the inevitability of the happy ending becomes quickly obvious. 1/10
    Another old British film attempted and given up:

No Sex Please We’re British.

Adapted from a stage farce and a lot of it looks like that. However, if anyone wants to know what Windsor looked like in 1973 some nice exterior shots. 
    what Windsor looked like in 1973 some nice exterior shots. 

(insert clever Barbara joke here) fnarr
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ZoolooterZoolooter Frets: 897
    Looking forward to Spike Lee’s new movie Da 5 Bloods, released today on Netflix. Ya can’t go wrong with a Vietnam War heist movie with soul.
    No Country for Old Men. I rewatched this, and I like it a lot, but it just seems to fade away in the final quarter. Bardem is totally compelling, and the scene between him and the old guy in the gas station is superbly tense. 7/10
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2778
    goldtop said:
    No Country for Old Men. I rewatched this, and I like it a lot, but it just seems to fade away in the final quarter. Bardem is totally compelling, and the scene between him and the old guy in the gas station is superbly tense. 7/10
    I wasn't hugely impressed the first time I saw it (I think maybe I saw it at the movies). Then I saw it last year when I was doing a bit of weed. Had to watch the last five/ten minutes about three times, but loved it.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    goldtop said:
    The last scene is the best thing about the film! The very last dialogue in particular. I won't say anything more for the sake of spoilers....
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    I think No Country is a masterpiece, possible their best adaption. Brilliant film
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Peanut Butter Falcon

Brilliant, just brilliant. Great story, amazing performances and perfect setting. 

Just watch it, if you don’t like it you have no heart. 

10/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• LodiousLodious Frets: 2013
    Suburbia
    80's punk film with Flea. I watched it as I was curious after reading Flea's autobiography. It's a bit  'of it's time' but I liked some of the soundtrack music and it was entertaining enough. It's free to watch on Prime. 6.5/10

Apocalypse Now - Final Cut
    I was not actually looking forward to watching this. I'd seen a lot of the scenes before when I was a teenager on a VHS tape on a 24" TV and never really though much of it. Watching on a big TV with the remastered picture and audio quality, it made the film a lot more cohesive. I thought it was amazing (sorry, I know this is old news for most people). If you purchase on iTunes it's only £3.99 and includes the 'making of' film 'Hearts of Darkness' which is worth watching. 10/10. 
    Black Panther.

I'm not one for the Marvel Comic Universe. Two hours of CGI and running around. Anyway, BP comes with a better reputation. The primarily black cast for a high budget film, the African themes and  (brief)  references to American inequalities marking it out as something different. I can see in those terms it is a significant film. But it's still pretty much two hours of CGI and running around. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom