What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    edited July 2020
    The Courier.

On Netflix. On the plus side it’s relatively short. Err, maybe if you like BMW motorbikes there are some nice moments. 
    Let’s hope Equity don’t watch this or they’ll be asking for Gary Oldman’s membership card back. 
    Recommended only if you derive a perverse pleasure from watching incredibly mediocre films with plot holes you could drive a bus through. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25106
    Let’s hope Equity don’t watch this or they’ll be asking for Gary Oldman’s membership card back. 

He must have had some bills to pay in 2019.  See also Mary (or rather don't see it, it's rubbish).
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The Gangster, The Cop, The Devil (2019)  The Koreans have got their shit together like no one else when it comes to gangster/cop thriller-action films. This is an outstanding example. Full of twists and turns and enough moral ambiguity to fill the Grand Canyon. If you like the genre, you'll love this film.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Philly_Q said:

He must have had some bills to pay in 2019.  See also Mary (or rather don't see it, it's rubbish).
    There’s a bit in the Wikipedia page for the film:

A scathing Rex Reed in the Observer named Oldman's performance the worst of his career, and said, "In the moronic thriller The Courier, nothing works on any level, but most of all where it matters most—a script that makes sense."
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    Do us a favour, guv.

When reviewing a film, could one be so kind as to mention where they saw it?.... Blu-ray, Netflix, Sky, Prime etc 

Ta muchly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    edited July 2020
    The Town on Netflix.

Decent heist movie based in Boston, where Ben Affleck falls for one of the witnesses who works in a bank he’s just robbed. 

7/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1810
    RobDavies said:
    The Town on Netflix.

Decent heist movie based in Boston, where Ben Affleck falls for one of the witnesses who works in a bank he’s just robbed. 

7/10
    Jeremy Renner is spectacular in that.

In similar vibe - check out Den of Thieves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6545
    The Island (on Amazon Prime). F*ck me, it's Sean Bean again, this time underacting his way through a mediocre plot in an effort to beat his own stereotype. Dystopian sci-fi with far too much money spent on action CGI and not enough imagination went into the plot.

1/7 (can't give it a rating out of 10, as I cut my losses and stopped watching)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    I tried watching Eyes Wide Shut - I’d never seen it, despite being a Kubrick fan... and (usually) liking Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise.

I gave up after about 40 minutes. It’s nice seeing Nicole Kidman naked, but apart from that it just grated constantly and I couldn’t get on with it at all.

I’ll maybe try again one day but I’m not sure I can be bothered.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

THX1138

I think I’d seen part of this as a teenager, but not all of it. I was reminded of it by having re-read Brave New World recently - it is clearly very influenced by both it and 1984.

It is a bit creaky in places, but overall it’s a very different and unsettling take on the future-dystopia theme, with quite unconventional direction - of course George Lucas went on to be much better known for Star Wars... you can spot quite a lot of visual motifs he re-used, but it doesn’t distract.

Very interesting, and remarkably runs at under an hour and a half, but doesn’t feel rushed.

8/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    edited July 2020
    Watched The Dambusters yesterday on TV. They removed all references to the N word. Not sure what to make of it. Are we just pretending this stuff never happened now? In a minor way it detracts from the film (though that might be because I know the original version so well). For instance they've taken out the whole shot where one of Gibson's pilot's asks f he can give the dog a drink and the section just before the raid where the dog is killed loses a lot of its emotional impact. Modern viewers will be left thinking 'why the fuss about the dog, he never bothered to give it a name'.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Bought the Mad Max Blu-Ray Box set the other day. 

Haven’t seen the first one for years, but remembered it well. Still violent and gritty, with minimal dialogue and mad stunts. The disc has the originally Aussie and the US dubbed version (I watched the Aussie one of course). 

Then Mad Max 2, such an influential film in the look and costumes for a post apocalyptic world.  More mad stunts (all real apart from some obvious speeding up of the film) and despite minimal dialogue Gibson does a great job, and it really is a classic. 

Hopefully I’ll get to Beyond Thunderdome tonight, I remember it being a let down after 2, but I probably have seen it the least of the original 3 so looking forward to seeing it with fresh eyes after all these years. 

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    The Shining, last night on BBC1.
    I've seen this many times over the years, and although it's great to watch I still don't understand what's going on. It's very visual but nothing is really explained and I'm left confused at the end every time. I guess this is why Stephen King wasn't happy with it.
    7/10
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    JezWynd said:
    Watched The Dambusters yesterday on TV. They removed all references to the N word. Not sure what to make of it. Are we just pretending this stuff never happened now? In a minor way it detracts from the film (though that might be because I know the original version so well). For instance they've taken out the whole shot where one of Gibson's pilot's asks f he can give the dog a drink and the section just before the raid where the dog is killed loses a lot of its emotional impact. Modern viewers will be left thinking 'why the fuss about the dog, he never bothered to give it a name'.
    You would think that with modern digital technology they could have edited the soundtrack so the word was replaced with something similar that fits the lip movements phonetically and 'renamed' the dog. Not that I really agree with doing that either...

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:
    You would think that with modern digital technology they could have edited the soundtrack so the word was replaced with something similar that fits the lip movements phonetically and 'renamed' the dog. Not that I really agree with doing that either...
    That's a point actually, the Beeb didn't censor/remove the N word in The Shining last night... It gets said 3 times in one scene.
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3828
    Grabbers... drunk irish cop version of Alien. - excellent

Watching Interstellar again now

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6545
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

I just read the wiki and in the reboot they are (were?) planning to rename the dog "Digger".

I'm torn - Gibson chose the dog's name knowing the full meaning, the film was made later with actors knowing the full meaning. If you delete the reference now and pretend that there was no such use, you don't get the full context for the characters (real and actors).
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    goldtop said:
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

I just read the wiki and in the reboot they are (were?) planning to rename the dog "Digger".

I'm torn - Gibson chose the dog's name knowing the full meaning, the film was made later with actors knowing the full meaning. If you delete the reference now and pretend that there was no such use, you don't get the full context for the characters (real and actors).
    Completely agree re characters and context. Digger would be good compromise if the N word has become completely unacceptable. If anything I think it shows how far we've come from those days - an explanatory board up at the start of the film would be a better compromise imo. I don't want to sidetrack the thread with this.
  • shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    goldtop said:

But it a was generic term for 'very black', or 'black as the night', no racism behind it.
    I remember seeing a printer's ink supplies book around 1972 with one swatch labelled 'N.. brown'. The fact I remember it must mean I thought it was odd or maybe funny even as a young teen in 1972.

I've seen loads and loads of films on Channel 4 streaming.
    Men & Chicken - best film I've seen for ages, if you like dark comedy.

• FledermausFledermaus Frets: 180
    Grabbers... drunk irish cop version of Alien. - excellent

Oh, yes...a most excellent film. 
    Saw “Deadpool” the other night on the telly. Not a clue about it before hand......... we found it hilarious ......