What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    Midway on amazon.  

The effects, sets and flying sequences were good but the hammy overly Hollywood Americans are heroes script and directing ruined it and made it almost unwatchable - very reminiscent of Pearl Harbour so if you liked that film you’ll probably love this one. I didn’t. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Slender Man.

What an utter pile of shit. 1/10.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    John_P said:
    Midway on amazon.  

The effects, sets and flying sequences were good but the hammy overly Hollywood Americans are heroes script and directing ruined it and made it almost unwatchable - very reminiscent of Pearl Harbour so if you liked that film you’ll probably love this one. I didn’t. 
    Agree with you re hammy acting. However, I thought that the stuff about the gathering and interpreting of intelligence was very interesting.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • alalalkasaralalalkasar Frets: 373
    Pee-wee's big holiday, watched with a six year old. The six year old laughed. I laughed. Pee-wee dreams in Spanish, little things.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3757
    edited July 2020
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 953
    edited July 2020
    RobDavies said:
    Do us a favour, guv.

When reviewing a film, could one be so kind as to mention where they saw it?.... Blu-ray, Netflix, Sky, Prime etc 

Ta muchly. 
    This x2

Watched The Perfection On Netflix. Absurd in parts, but very riveting with lots of great twists. As someone else mentioned it’s hard to talk about the plot without spoilers. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12660
    edited July 2020
    Equaliser 2. Denzel dispatching baddies . As a Saturday night beer movie 7/10
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25106
    Not a film, but I just finished season 1 of Slasher on Netflix.  The characters are all idiots and I'm not sure the plot would make any sense at all if I could be bothered to watch it over again.  But it is undeniably gripping - at least from episodes 2 to 6, before totally collapsing at the end.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 11014
    Parasites : black comedy in which a poor family engineer their way into working for a young rich family. Not bad at all, 7 out of 10 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    FarleyUK said:
    Slender Man.

On that recommendation, I couldn't resist.  How bad can it be, I thought.

You were overly generous.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Slender Man.

That score of 1 was for the quite cool sound effect on the bell.
    FarleyUK said:
    Philly_Q said:
    FarleyUK said:
    Slender Man.

That score of 1 was for the quite cool sound effect on the bell.

Funny you should mention that, when they talked about the bell I was expecting the eerie sound of a distant church bell, or a ship far out at sea... what we got was too special-effectsy for me.  So I didn't even like that. 

The Slender Man myth itself is quite interesting and there was certainly potential for a film, but they did absolutely nothing with the idea.  The whole film is completely pointless.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4909

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Superhero movies are not really my thing.  Neither are cartoon movies, so imagine my delight when my son decided to watch that at the cinema while wife and daughter had a nice lunch.

We, I was pleasantly surprised.  A very good movie, which was about coming of age and self confidence, about taking a leap of faith into the unknown to grow.  Relationships with parents and searching for what has gone.

And a cartoon pig.  So good comedy as well.

Expectation 3/10
    Reality 7/10
    edited July 2020

Zombeavers

...At least it's only 77 minutes of my life I'll never get back, rather than the usual 90+.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

Zombeavers

...At least it's only 77 minutes of my life I'll never get back, rather than the usual 90+.

Still better than Slender Man,

I actually quite liked Zombeavers - it didn't pretend it was anything other than B-movie stuff, and played up nicely to it I thought.
    edited July 2020

It was certainly better than Slender Man.  And a good 15 minutes shorter!

Edit:

Fun fact, film fans:  One of the two idiot truck drivers who appear in the opening and closing scenes of Zombeavers is John Mayer.  Yes, that John Mayer, I just looked it up.  He's sporting a moustache (fake) and a double chin (real).

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Lone Survivor (2013) - I really enjoyed this film. I thought Peter Berg did an excellent job with the combat scenes, but more than that, he kept a visceral feel going at high pitch throughout, so that for me some of the most gut wrenching scenes did not involve shooting but falling (and self-surgery :-) ) It's a tribute both to director & cast that they keep things intense for as long as they do. If you are into combat based-drama like Black Hawk Down (or even something like Courage Under Fire) you will like this.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Erin Brockovich

One that I hadn’t seen before but probably should have. 

Loved it. Julia Roberts’ performance was very good and I always enjoy watching Albert Finney. 

Great story, obviously based on real events although I always assume true events are sexed up to the max for the big screen. 

The final scene where Masey is giving Brockovich her bonus cheque is pure gold. 

Great score from Thomas Newman, he has a great style and it reminded me a lot of his work for Pay It Forward, another great film. 

Overall a solid 8/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Dunkirk (2017) - tricky film to make without going all ra-ra. I quite liked the way Christopher Nolan handled it, putting as much emphasis on the worst of behaviour as the best. Excellent soundtrack - try watching it with headphones on, it's a blast.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Dunkirk (2017) - tricky film to make without going all ra-ra. I quite liked the way Christopher Nolan handled it, putting as much emphasis on the worst of behaviour as the best. Excellent soundtrack - try watching it with headphones on, it's a blast.
    Better than I expected. Main thing I learned was that in a sticky situation it's best to stay as far away from Harry Styles as possible.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom