What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. MrsF hadn't seen it. It's still brilliant. Really fairly stupid but intentionally so and I love it. 

I just bought the t-shirt... :D 

haha So Crates!
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    @haych www.lastexittonowhere.com

They're brilliant and decent quality. I like the fitted ones, but they do regular, long-sleeved, hoodies, all sorts. They're only t-shirts I own that aren't plain or band-related. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171

They're brilliant and decent quality. I like the fitted ones, but they do regular, long-sleeved, hoodies, all sorts. They're only t-shirts I own that aren't plain or band-related. 
    Cheers bud, think I might have to have one!

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25107
    Haych said:

Cheers bud, think I might have to have one!
    Yeah, I have loads of T-shirts from Last Exit to Nowhere, highly recommended.  My brother has that Wyld Stallyns one as a hoody, it's good quality.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10072
    Danny1969 said:
    The peanut butter falcon

A down syndrome young man escapes from the nursing home he is in and teams up with a redneck on his way to Florida

very good 

Just watched this due it being mentioned on here a few times. Really enjoyed it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4713
    Hacksaw ridge due to seeing it mentioned on here 

super film 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7448
    The Meg on Prime. 

Hilarious. 
    ten minutes I lasted
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Carbon. 

Or Carbone as it’s titled in French, it’s on Netflix, it’s in French so quite why they bothered with the anglicised name I don’t know. Gritty crime caper based ( very loosely I imagine) on a real story about EU tax provisions ( honest). 
    I like that in French movies good looking women always seem attracted to grumpy old men. And it’s so French it’s got Gerard Depardieu in it. Also some French rap. 
    Interesting and moves along although I wouldn’t say I highly recommend it. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    The King’s Choice

Norwegian historical drama about the German invasion in 1940 and the impact on the king and his family. Better than that might sound - very matter-of-fact plot and direction, but largely believably accurate having read a bit about it. Well-acted and surprisingly emotional in the end.

7/10

(On iPlayer at the moment.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Speed 2: Cruise Control

A bit of a yawn-fest but the lad wanted to watch it (and he was feeling poorly) so I sat and watched it with him.

It's watchable but isn't engaging at all.  Willem Dafoe as the baddie was unconvincing to me and Jason Patric also didn't work as the heroic off duty cop on holiday who foils Willem's dastardly schemes.

The film was a bit slow to get going and once it did the action sequences were beyond plausibility.

It's only real saving grace was Sandra Bullock.  She was perfectly Sandra Bullock throughout the whole thing.

It should have been called, Speed 2: Milking the first film's success.

5/10 at very best.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    edited August 2020

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    I Think We’re Alone Now on Prime. 

A shortish doc about two absolute nutters who think they’re going to marry the 80’s pop sensation/one hit wonder, Tiffany. 

I usually hate stuff like this as I find it uncomfortable when people who are clearly mentally ill are exploited for entertainment (see early rounds of X Factor etc), but it was quite compelling..... and Tiffany is still quite fit. 

6.5/10 - zero violence and zero boobs - unless you happen to google Tiffany’s playboy shoot halfway through the film.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Le Mans 66 (Ford v Ferrari in US). Having watched the older Le Mans movie earlier on tv I thought I'd give this one a spin as a compare/contrast. In fact they are so different in style and tone that there’s little comparison beyond the subject matter.

LeMans 66 stars Matt Damon as car designer Shelby and Bale as driver Ken Miles. It's a very good film; well scripted and paced so that it builds towards the final race like shifting up through the gears. Damon and Bale play really well together, both seem like perfect casting for their roles and look as if they had a blast making the film. Bale is an especially dynamic, compelling character.

Photography of the race scenes is gripping; they reined in the visual effects, resisted the temptation to make overly clever shots and instead gave it a sixties aesthetic, a smart move which adds to the veracity of the film. 

The Steve MacQueen movie by contrast is a minor key study. There’s little dialogue - the course commentator gives a lot of the info to move the story on and long sequences of 2nd unit shots show life around the racetrack. It’s really a documentary of the 24hr race with the added interest of MacQueen‘s brooding presence. The race photography matches 66 in generating excitement and there’s some smart rhythmic editing to build tension. The big crash sequence involving MacQueen’s car is breathtaking; taken in slow motion it stretches out the moment to reveal every impact in detail, it’s a remarkable sequence.

I have little to no interest in motor sport but both movies had me hooked from start to finish. Excellent viewing for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25107

They're Watching

The first film I've watched in the last few weeks, just a random choice on Amazon Prime.  The makers of an American Homes Under The Hammer style programme turn up to film at an old house in a remote part of Moldova, and fall foul of the superstitious locals... Shot in the ever-popular (and ever-cheap) found footage style, this is billed as a comedy horror but it's really a run-of-the-mill horror movie with jokey dialogue.  Nothing happens for an hour, then it gets a bit serious, then it turns into a third-rate Evil Dead at the end.

There is one interesting bit where the TV crew get drunk in a bar and play folk/traditional music with the locals.  One guy plays violin and another plays classical guitar - and it is actually the actors playing.  I was quite impressed.

• menamestommenamestom Frets: 4909

Ad Astra.

Brad Pitt goes to Neptune to have a disagreement with his dad, then comes home.

One small plot hole, there wasn’t one.

A solid 3/10.

Ad Astra.

Brad Pitt goes to Neptune to have a disagreement with his dad, then comes home.

One small plot hole, there wasn’t one.

A solid 3/10.
    As much as 3/10; you saw something in it that I didn't then.  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    JezWynd said:
    Le Mans 66 (Ford v Ferrari in US). Having watched the older Le Mans movie earlier on tv I thought I'd give this one a spin as a compare/contrast. In fact they are so different in style and tone that there’s little comparison beyond the subject matter.

LeMans 66 stars Matt Damon as car designer Shelby and Bale as driver Ken Miles. It's a very good film; well scripted and paced so that it builds towards the final race like shifting up through the gears. Damon and Bale play really well together, both seem like perfect casting for their roles and look as if they had a blast making the film. Bale is an especially dynamic, compelling character.

Photography of the race scenes is gripping; they reined in the visual effects, resisted the temptation to make overly clever shots and instead gave it a sixties aesthetic, a smart move which adds to the veracity of the film. 

The Steve MacQueen movie by contrast is a minor key study. There’s little dialogue - the course commentator gives a lot of the info to move the story on and long sequences of 2nd unit shots show life around the racetrack. It’s really a documentary of the 24hr race with the added interest of MacQueen‘s brooding presence. The race photography matches 66 in generating excitement and there’s some smart rhythmic editing to build tension. The big crash sequence involving MacQueen’s car is breathtaking; taken in slow motion it stretches out the moment to reveal every impact in detail, it’s a remarkable sequence.

I have little to no interest in motor sport but both movies had me hooked from start to finish. Excellent viewing for a rainy Sunday afternoon.

There’s mention of this on the latest Tim Pierce YouTube clip. He interviews Andrew Sidaway ( I think that’s right) who plays guitar on the original music for the new film. Quite cool sixties music like The Sonics and the original stuff is sort of modern ambient guitar so apparently a good film for guitarists.  
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Knives Out.

On Prime I think. Old fashioned murder mystery, Daniel Craig's Louisiana (?) accent possibly more mysterious than the plot but suitably complex ( Oscar for original script I think), star studded, there's a brief bit of anti Trumpism  and recommended if you don't need CGI or graphic violence in your choice of fillum.
    Saw that at the cinema when it came out. Loved it! Superb story. I really liked Christopher Plummer's character, what a great bloke!
    Hacksaw Ridge - 2016   Based on the true story of  Desmond Doss, the first conscientious objector to be awarded the US Medal of Honour.  Got to be honest, I had tears in my eyes at the end. What a story, what a man.
    Even though I find the gore tough going, I love that film. Bloody hell, what a hero! Unbelievable true story! I definitely got watery eyed over that film.
    I saw I lost my body at the weekend on netflix. It's animated (which I like) and looked very intriguing from the trailer. Won awards as well I believe.

It was terrible. It just seemed to lack a point, and ending and content generally. My daughters love animation as well, but we all sat there at the end and said "is that it?"

One to avoid in my opinion.