What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1050
    edited August 2020

Resistance

Marcel Marceau was the legendary mime, who survived the Nazi occupation, and saved many children in WWII.
    Very watchable film, good performance from Jessie Eisneberg (facebook film)

9/10
    “Ken sent me.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flash Gordon...  Brian Blessed WITH WINGS and a Queen soundtrack! 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched The Last Boy Scout last night. It was enjoyable waffle.

Bye!

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2537
    I watched the Revenant tonight, Jesus what a film! Not something I think I’ll ever watch again though.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    edited August 2020
    zepp76 said:
    I watched the Revenant tonight, Jesus what a film! Not something I think I’ll ever watch again though.
    Watched it again recently.   Brilliantly done but it is gruesome viewing.

Just watched Official Secrets on Amazon 

It covers the gchq leak to press before the invasion of Iraq and the investigation and trial.  Interesting background story starring Kiera Knightly who gave a good performance.  
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Rambo Last Blood - crap but great, if you like that sort of thing.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3121
    goldtop said:
    Parasite. Seems to be flavour of the month with a lot of reviewers, but I avoided hearing anything about it or watching the trailers. No spoilers here, so I'll just say it seems over-rated to me. First half was very witty and then it takes a left turn that (IMHO) is too heavy-handed. 6/10.
    Interesting. I watched this last night and thought it was superb. Easily the best film I've seen in a while.

9/10

R.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Official Secrets

Based on true events, Keira Knightley plays Katherine Gun who, in early 2003 leaked an internal memo from the NSA to GCHQ where she worked, which asked for GCHQ cooperation on finding dirt on UN Security Council members in order to leverage a vote on going to war with Iraq. 

Very well done. Obviously dramatised for the sake of the film but not in a way that’s unbelievable or removes credibility from the story. 

Great performances from all the cast and the story is tense enough to keep the viewer gripped until the end. 

Yet another film that really hits home how messy, for want of a much stronger phrase, the whole Iraq war really was. 

Well worth watching. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• Just finished watching Starfish on Prime. 
    Not sure I understood wtf was going on but I felt quite emotional by the end. There’s an overriding sense of isolation, loneliness and grief mixed with some bizarre visuals and a pretty cool soundtrack. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    edited August 2020
    Dark Mirror 1946

Olivia De Haviland plays twin sisters in old-school psychological thriller.  Good performances and nice noirish visuals.  Plot is hokum but handled well enough to deliver one or two nice twists.  Inevitably a bit creaky but decent entertainment if you can get past that. 7/10
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6546
    Child 44. Serial killer in post-war Russia - Tom Hardy, Noomi Rapace, Gary Oldman, etc. Weird mixture of two plots: plod-vs-murderer and plod-vs-totalitarian-state. Not sure it worked, as the drama kept switching between these two threads. but it was watchable, despite the dodgy accents. 7/10
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Knives Out.

On Prime I think. Old fashioned murder mystery, Daniel Craig's Louisiana (?) accent possibly more mysterious than the plot but suitably complex ( Oscar for original script I think), star studded, there's a brief bit of anti Trumpism  and recommended if you don't need CGI or graphic violence in your choice of fillum.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Danny1969 said:
    The peanut butter falcon

A down syndrome young man escapes from the nursing home he is in and teams up with a redneck on his way to Florida

very good 

One thing I've learned on this forum is that Danny and I never like the same films but this is just really, really good. Even the soundtrack is rather marvelous. Some lovely cinematography and it all seems surprisingly plausible. 
    There's a 10/10 review by the father of someone with Down syndrome on IMDB that's quite touching and how true to his experience ( I presume not the running away bit) this is. Well worth a watch. 

On Netflix. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    The Meg on Prime. 

Hilarious. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    A few lately.

Watched Danger Close. Thought it was alright. Travis Fimmel, loved watching him in Vikings, along with many of the cast..

The courier.. mainly for whatserface because she is my type in that movie.. Was ok. 

I like sci-fi.. mainly because I like science.. now when films get it mostly accurate, such as Interstellar, its fucking epic.. 

Into the night. I wrote a separate thread on it at the time. Its pretty nutty and the science nerd in me led me to research a lot of what they claim
    to be happening, and its pretty outlandish.. 
    more plot holes than an allotment on point du hoc.. but get past that and the lip sync and I actually enjoyed the shit out of it! 

Another Earth. Enjoyed it, not as much as the Expanse, but will deffo keep an eye out for season 2. Proper gave me the creeps at the end. 

Spectral. Gave it a watch and enjoyed it. The tie in to whats happening in the movie regarding Bose-Einstein Condensate is fucking nonsense though.. but, it did lead me to discover Bose-Einstein Condensate.. which is bleedin interesting!  I get why they wanted to root real science in the film, to make it almost believable, but.. well theres no way it could be in this instance.. may have it on cocoa pops. 

Some films do that but Im not sure why. Anyone who knows what the science is will see through it, anyone whos inclined will google it, or the casual watcher won’t give a toss so it could be anything, they wont care.. 

Hotel Artemis. Load of wank. Not much happened then it ended. 

Game over man. I loved this. Some nice cameos and generally  hilarious,  about 3 hotel workers who have to tool up and stop a takeover. 

Extraction: Right up my street. Just follows the one guy getting the job done, no love interest or complexities. The long shot in the housing complex was freakin awesome. 

I love the first John Wick, Taken and Equalizer though. Its like pure violent vengeance where the bad guys get absolutely decimated. 

Hardcore Henry: Blew my mind. Shot entirely in first person, I had to wonder how the hell some of it was filmed, but if you like wacky nonsense and combat then might like it. 

Currently watching Project Power.. film about drugs that give you super powers for 5 minutes, with Joseph Gordon Levitt and Jamie Foxx. 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    The Avengement (2019)  -  this is a well hard film full of geezers who talk with well hard London accents, all right? So fucking well sit down, shut up and watch it.

The plot is fairly well-trodden stuff: sympathetic character gets jailed, has to fight to survive (thereby turning into well hard geezer), and then goes looking for revenge on those responsible for his sufferings. Not high art :), but if you're looking for a bit of the old ultra-violence this should do you nicely, and Scott Adkins is a lot of fun in the lead role, all scars, scowls, and sardonic comments (in between bouts of face-crunching punches). Good stuff if you don't take it too seriously.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Hacksaw Ridge - 2016   Based on the true story of  Desmond Doss, the first conscientious objector to be awarded the US Medal of Honour.  Got to be honest, I had tears in my eyes at the end. What a story, what a man.
    Just watched this (on prime). Heard it mentioned a lot but somehow I never got around to watching it. 

Wowzers, what an amazing (true) story. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    The Hatton Garden Job on film4. Reminded me of a 60’s crime caper film, I kept expecting Terry Thomas and Sam Kydd to turn up at any moment. 

It’s ok, but there’s too much emphasis on comedy and the whole look and feel of the thing is way too stylised for its own good. The serialised tv version with Timothy Spall was way better. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28752
    Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. MrsF hadn't seen it. It's still brilliant. Really fairly stupid but intentionally so and I love it. 

I just bought the t-shirt... :D 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure. MrsF hadn't seen it. It's still brilliant. Really fairly stupid but intentionally so and I love it. 

I just bought the t-shirt... :D 

I kinda need to know from where you acquired the T-shirt.  That's very cool.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.