What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• LogieLogie Frets: 443
    Just watched Greenland which was surprisingly good for a Gerard Butler disaster movie. Plus I watched The Accountant again for the 4th time. No idea why I like it so much to watch it again and again but there you go.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12367
    edited February 2021
    Watched The emancipation of Harley Quinn. It’s fairly average action movie that’s female centric which is refreshing but ultimately it’s meh. 
  • We watched a film last night called The Swerve. To be honest I think we were slightly misled by the description on NowTV, but it was good... although it's one of those films where saying it was good or that you enjoyed it doesn't feel right, because it was unrelentingly grim and hard going.

The description said something like "a woman with insomnia battles to stop her perfect life from unraveling", but it was more than that. Her life doesn't seem perfect for a start, and it's clearly depression rather than insomnia. I did consider switching it off after half an hour, but after that it got totally engrossing. We needed to watch some Taskmaster afterwards though, to lighten the mood before bed :)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Birdman on Prime.  

Michael Keaton plays a washed up movie star attempting to get his ‘serious’ stage play off the ground on Broadway, but is ‘haunted’ by his previous superhero character. 

It’s been around for a while, I know but I finally caught up with this.  
    It’s meant to look as if it’s shot in one take and is almost too clever for it’s own good but I really enjoyed it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tenet:

The dog and I have been waiting to see this for ages, I kept putting this off as I wanted to enjoy the Film when the Mrs had gone to bed. The dog loves a qood action film so we both settled in for the night and watched the film.

Dogs Verdict : No Cats or Dogs.... very disappointed 2/10

My Verdict: WTF is going on , I normally enjoy his films and the only good thing was seeing Mr Caine. The film is utter bullocks, boring shite. 4/10

Next week the Dog has chosen Lassie :)

“Ken sent me.”
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I watched the first 45 minutes of Hunter Killer last night. Just terrible, so so terrible.  Apparently the producers thought Hilary Clinton was about to be beat Trump so at some point there's a Madam President moment but I couldn't be arsed to sit through it for that.      
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1832
    I loved it but I hated Greenland that is getting love earlier in the thread.
    Different folks eh?
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    Watched Straw Dogs on DVD last night. It's like Deliverance but set in Cornwall. Susan George is in it and it must have been very chilly in Cornwall when they filmed it. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Brio said:
    I loved it but I hated Greenland that is getting love earlier in the thread.
    Different folks eh?
    I couldn't really get past the Scottish stag scene which was nonsense on multiple levels. 
    edited February 2021
    Yep. In the highlands of Scotland with a bow. Helicopter comes for him. Next shot he is at Faslane being asked how his flight from Portsmouth was. Not the route I'd choose to fly if I was buying the gas.
    And for a guy concerned enough not to shoot a stag wiv a luvly liddle family I query the choice of a bow if trying for a clean kill over that distance.
  • Brio said:
    Yep. In the highlands of Scotland with a bow. Helicopter comes for him. Next shot he is at Faslane being asked how his flight from Portsmouth was. Not the route I'd choose to fly if I was buying the gas.
    And for a guy concerned enough not to shoot a stag wiv a luvly liddle family I query the choice of a bow if trying for a clean kill over that distance.
    All that. Fawns usually born in the Spring as well? And the whole scene seemed to be obviously 'here's everything you need to know about his character - he's resourceful, rough and tough but has a heart of gold.
    Probably needed beer to help it along.     
  • Devil#20 said:
    As others have mentioned The Queen's Gambit was a pretty good series. You know it's good when you wish there were more episodes. 

I've just finished binge watching all 8 episodes of The Serpent on BBC over the last week and can recommend that. It's based on real life events and he was one sick puppy. I can't work out if the actor who plays the part of Charles Sobhraj was really good or whether his aloof persona was his take on the person he plays. I found the guy Ajay particularly creepy, insofar as he was really friendly to his victims whereas Charles was somewhat a bit suave amongst the hippy fraternity. 

Seconded - we found the tension almost unbearable.

And it's all true !!!!
  • I have just finished 2nd season of HBO's "Succession". 
    Brian Cox is great in it. Well recommended if you like political fiction thrillers. Can't wait for them to release season three.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10272
    I have just finished 2nd season of HBO's "Succession". 
    Brian Cox is great in it. Well recommended if you like political fiction thrillers. Can't wait for them to release season three.
    Bloody brilliant, isn't it? So many great characters. They're all utterly appalling people, but absolutely fascinating to watch. 

I've also got a bit of a crush on Shiv. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • I have just finished 2nd season of HBO's "Succession". 
    Bloody brilliant, isn't it? So many great characters. They're all utterly appalling people, but absolutely fascinating to watch. 

I've also got a bit of a crush on Shiv. 

Agreed on Shiv!

Monster Hunter with Milla “rhymes with Cilla” Jovovich. Still the mos5 dependable action heroine in my book. 
  • Roman J Israel Esq. 

Film 4 . 

I guess it’s a legal thriller although it drifts along rather than being a thrill ride. Denzel Washington is in nearly every frame and does a fine job as the ( mildly autistic?) title character, Colin Farrell fine in his supporting role as well, nice soundtrack too. 

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    Late to the party on this, but Lost In Translation on Prime.  

A stunning film, directed by Sofia Coppola which really resonated with me (but that’s another story), to the point that I was almost in tears at the end.  What a big Jessie, eh?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    edited February 2021
    Following on from watching Letters from Iwo Jima (Aug 2020 earlier in this thread tonight I watched the companion film Flags of Our Fathers. I thought it was pretty good, and overall I think Clint Eastwood managed to walk the tightrope between reductive cynicism & sentimental glorification of war very well. It was a smart move to focus Flags of Our Fathers not on the battle for Iwo Jima itself but on the harrowing post-battle experience of the soldiers who were thrust into the limelight by the famous image of the flag raising. I thoroughly recommend this - it is not your average booyah marines! war movie by any means.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5630
    Expedition Amelia

2019 National Geographic documentary about the life and disappearance of Amelia Earhart and an expedition to Nikumaroro Island by Robert Ballard in South Pacific in search of her plane.

Quite a lot of circumstantial evidence suggests Amelia landed on Nikumaroro after being unable to find Howland Island where she was due to land.  Robert Ballard, who found the Titanic, set out to find her Lockheed Electra convinced she landed there.

Very, very interesting and the evidence that she landed there is in some ways very strong but if she did land there then it seems unexplainable that there is no single piece of her plane there.

If you enjoy documentary films then it's well worth watching, I enjoyed it a lot and it was interesting and informative even without the discovery the expedition team were hoping for.

Available on Disney +, the wife has a six month trial thrown in with a phone contract.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.