What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    DOUBLE INDEMNITY - 1944

Wow - what a great film (especially good for a Sunday afternoon with a nice cuppa). Directed by Billy Wilder and scripted by Raymond Chandler, so a good combination behind it.

Classic film noir with vintage Hollywood style, and pretty smoldering for its time (Barbara Stanwyk and Fred MacMurray play a pretty hot couple)

9/10
    Great film.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    First Man, it's a dramatised account of how NASA faked the 1st moon landing. Very procedural, and I assume very accurate as to how the various steps were achieved. Gosling plays the actor Neil Armstrong and he gives a very solid performance, probably a hard role to play as Armstrong doesn't seem very personable. Digressing here, but he seems an odd person to have chosen in real life as he's not at all televisual. In fact, if you were going to chose someone to actually command the mission and land on the moon (not that the moon is real, it's all deep fake, state actor, you're being controlled etc) as he's exactly the right kind of calm, steady, make good decisions under pressure, able to take the initiative when required, personality to do that. 
    Awww I really thought it was a faked moon landing film after your description similar to Capricorn one 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Most of City Slickers on Film 4.

Fairly classic film that I’ve somehow never seen before. It’s exactly how you think it’s going to be. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • King Rocker on Sky Arts. 

Stewart Lee’s documentary about The Nightingales and a statue of King Kong. Good stuff. 
    Very interesting delve into the band’s history and Midlands from the 1970s. Great to see Ted Chippington and Fuzzbox as well.

Wonderful to see Robert Lloyd in such fine form.

However - I used to find Stewart Lee a very funny and unique voice, but (for some reason I cannot fathom), I am exhausted watching him nowadays.

So found the film a little tough going.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1870
    Couldn't find anything newish to watch so re-watched the last 4 episodes of Queens Gambit, Anya Taylor Joy is remarkable with her ability to phisically stop and let things happen around her. The sets, props and music is pretty excellent oo.
    This evening's boredom demands a choice between Where Eagles Dare and Kelly's Heroes.
  • Greed (2020) Basically Steve Coogan does his best Philip Green. Entertaining watch while shining a light on the fashion industry. It’s amazing what Green got away with while keeping his nighthood!
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4559
    Greenland on Amazon Prime. Absolutely excellent
  • ewalewal Frets: 2597
    ennspek said:
    DOUBLE INDEMNITY - 1944

Wow - what a great film (especially good for a Sunday afternoon with a nice cuppa). Directed by Billy Wilder and scripted by Raymond Chandler, so a good combination behind it.

Classic film noir with vintage Hollywood style, and pretty smoldering for its time (Barbara Stanwyk and Fred MacMurray play a pretty hot couple)

9/10
    Great film.
    The book's worth reading too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

• Greenland - Gripping disaster movie about a comet causing worldwide havoc and peril.  Really good film.
    8/10
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5667
    While You Were Sleeping

Goofy old romcom with Sandra Bullock and Bill Pullman. 

You’ve probably seen it and you know what happens. Never would/could happen in real life but pleasant and anodyne viewing all the same. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• GandalphGandalph Frets: 1592
    edited February 2021
    Midsommar

Its like the Wickerman on acid...and strong acid at that! 
    Currently streaming on Amazon Prime. 
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9712
    The Dig on Netflix. Enjoyed it but thought it was losing its way somewhat towards the end. Also, Mrs9000 comes from that part of the world so was easy to spot holes in some of the locations and geography of the film. Would nonetheless recommend it.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23010
    Gandalph said:
    Midsommar

Its like the Wickerman on acid...and strong acid at that! 
    Currently streaming on Amazon Prime. 
    I think maybe it's more like The Wicker Man on quaaludes... but it certainly comes from a similar place.
    edited February 2021
    Not a fillum but TV. The new series of The Equalizer starring Queen Latifah. Pretty average right up to the fight scenes where it heads straight to the bargain basement. Imagine Queen Latifah busting out those serious street fighting chops. 
    Can’t eh?
    Me neither and ive seen the show. It just looks very very wrong. 
    Back to Denzel for me. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23010
    Brio said:
    Not a fillum but TV. The new series of The Equalizer starring Queen Latifah. Pretty average right up to the fight scenes where it heads straight to the bargain basement. Imagine Queen Latifah busting out those serious street fighting chops. 
    Can’t eh?
    Back to Denzel for me. 
    Is it aimed at kids, or something?  It sounds ridiculous.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Ma Rainey’s Black bottom

Pretty much the whole thing is shot in just two small rooms but boy it smacks you in the gut.

9/10 
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • zepp76 said:
    Ma Rainey’s Black bottom

Pretty much the whole thing is shot in just two small rooms but boy it smacks you in the gut.

9/10 
    That was mentioned on Mark Kermode's Secret's of Cinema. Where did you find that? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Philly_Q said:
    Brio said:
    Not a fillum but TV. The new series of The Equalizer starring Queen Latifah. Pretty average right up to the fight scenes where it heads straight to the bargain basement. Imagine Queen Latifah busting out those serious street fighting chops. 
    Can’t eh?
    Back to Denzel for me. 
    Is it aimed at kids, or something?  It sounds ridiculous.
    Nope proper grown ups TV.

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    zepp76 said:
    Ma Rainey’s Black bottom

9/10 
    That was mentioned on Mark Kermode's Secret's of Cinema. Where did you find that? 
    It’s on Netflix
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5667
    Mrs Haych and I watched The Dig last night on Netflix.

Yeah, pretty decent film, we enjoyed it.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.