What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Lucky

A film about a cantankerous 90 year old fella and his philosophy on life, or maybe death?

No violence, blood, gore or sexual scenes.

If you liked The Straight story, you’ll love this.

10/10

crikey I’ve seen some cracking films today.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9741
    zepp76 said:
    Lucky

A film about a cantankerous 90 year old fella and his philosophy on life, or maybe death?

10/10

More than one film with that title - I’m guessing this is the Harry Dean Stanton one?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    HAL9000 said:
    zepp76 said:
    Lucky

10/10

More than one film with that title - I’m guessing this is the Harry Dean Stanton one?
    Yes, directed by John Caroll Lynch.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Let it Be. The Beatles, cinematic version. Fascinating, the footage of the rooftop hig is great.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5691
    Spider Man Far From Home

I don’t really do superhero films, I just find them dull and disinteresting. 

But, in an attempt to spend some time with my kids, who these days only seem to come out of their rooms for food, I bribed them with a movie night and Domino’s pizza. This is what they chose. 

It was ok actually. Not awful, still ridiculous and plain daft but dare I say it, Tom Holland did a decent job of playing a reluctant teen superhero. 

6/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I think the Marvel films are much maligned. Even if it's not your thing they are well made, well scripted and well acted.

They are a new consistent benchmark for blockbusters, like it or not.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23132
    Skyfire

An ambitious businessman builds a resort and theme park on the site of an active volcano.  A team of scientists are on hand to monitor volcanic activity, but.... well, you can guess what happens.

I heard about this big-budget Chinese disaster movie on the Kermode and Mayo film show - their mate Jason Isaacs plays the aforementioned businessman.  It's basically tosh, there's nothing we haven't seen before in Jurassic Park or Dante's Peak.... but the CGI is impressive, the cast are attractive, it moves at a good pace and it's all thoroughly entertaining if you go in with modest expectations.

On Amazon Prime (I had to pay to rent it, but only 99p).
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6744
    Despite it having all the critics in its pocket, despite everyone going on about it in glowing terms.... I ignored it for 30 years. Watched it tonight with my Mrs and we both loved it.

The Commitments. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5691
    ennspek said:
    I think the Marvel films are much maligned. Even if it's not your thing they are well made, well scripted and well acted.

They are a new consistent benchmark for blockbusters, like it or not.

I didn’t see them all but I didn’t mind the Tobey Maguire Spider-Man films at all. They were much more relatable and self contained. 

Since then it’s all become too complicated and convoluted to be interesting. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    Babyteeth on Netflix. Story of a terminally ill teenage girl who befriends a local drug nutter. Her parents obviously hate him but move him in anyway, because he’s the only thing that makes her happy. A decent story, quite funny at times but also painfully sad, as you can imagine.

A Patch of Fog on Prime. Steven Graham plays a security guard who becomes obsessed with a famous author after he spies him shoplifting. Not bad... decent performances from the lead actors but dragged a bit. 
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15635
    The Dig - the tale of the Sutton Hoo discovery. Fantastically well filmed (think Detectorists with even better camera work) and Fiennes pulls of a really good East Anglian accent, some odd miscasting (Carey Mulligan is way to young for the role, but she does well enough).
    A tricky subject to make a film of, it's part film and part biography/history, but it does well to get the story across. 8/10, recommended I think.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

VimFuego said:
    The Dig - the tale of the Sutton Hoo discovery. Fantastically well filmed (think Detectorists with even better camera work) and Fiennes pulls of a really good East Anglian accent, some odd miscasting (Carey Mulligan is way to young for the role, but she does well enough).
    A tricky subject to make a film of, it's part film and part biography/history, but it does well to get the story across. 8/10, recommended I think.
    @VimFuego  which platform is it on please?
  • It's in my queue.  Any good?
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15635
    zepp76 said:
    VimFuego said:
    netflix. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• It's in my queue.  Any good?
    We thought so, predictable but well acted, Ryder Allen is awesome. 
    VimFuego said:
    zepp76 said:
    VimFuego said:
    netflix. 
    Thank you kind sir.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10341

The Vanished on Netflix. 

About a couple searching for their daughter who goes missing while on a camping trip. 

Not much going for it other than some truly horrific acting, to the point where I was thinking they were trying to be ironic and doing it on purpose. Anne Heshe is awful but entertaining to a point as she's so bad. I found myself laughing at times though I wasn't sure I was supposed to be. 

My wife sussed the 'twist' ending with an hour still to go. I'd lost interest by then. 

Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    edited January 2021
    VimFuego said:
    I enjoyed it but I do wish they had shown the true extent of the finds especially the extraordinary helmet. I have a keen interest in these things, especially metal detecting when I used to go out (it’s my dream to find something of that period, Viking even more so). Still enjoyable though, thank you for the suggestion.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1880
    The Little Things.
    A pretty stock hunt for a serial killer made into a pretty gripping film by having Denzel Washington and Remi Malik as the good guys and Jared Leto as the bad guy. Works well with some nice twists on the way and great pacing.
    Thoroughly enjoyed it. Probably only a 7/10 though.