What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• VimFuego said:
    The Dig - the tale of the Sutton Hoo discovery. Fantastically well filmed (think Detectorists with even better camera work) and Fiennes pulls of a really good East Anglian accent, some odd miscasting (Carey Mulligan is way to young for the role, but she does well enough).
    A tricky subject to make a film of, it's part film and part biography/history, but it does well to get the story across. 8/10, recommended I think.
    Nicole Kidman was originally cast to play Edith Pretty but had to pull out due schedule problems I think.
    I'll get a round to buying a 'real' guitar one day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15582
    VimFuego said:
    The Dig - the tale of the Sutton Hoo discovery. Fantastically well filmed (think Detectorists with even better camera work) and Fiennes pulls of a really good East Anglian accent, some odd miscasting (Carey Mulligan is way to young for the role, but she does well enough).
    A tricky subject to make a film of, it's part film and part biography/history, but it does well to get the story across. 8/10, recommended I think.
    Nicole Kidman was originally cast to play Edith Pretty but had to pull out due schedule problems I think.
    yeah, that's what I read as well. She'd have been a more appropriate age. That said, there was nothing wrong with Mulligan, I thought she did the part well.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    Deadpool 2. On C4 yesterday so might still be on catch up somewhere. Not as good as the original but still enjoyable with some several laugh out loud moments (like the toddlers leg bit). 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    boogieman said:
    Deadpool 2. On C4 yesterday so might still be on catch up somewhere. Not as good as the original but still enjoyable with some several laugh out loud moments (like the toddlers leg bit). 
    It’s hard to think that Cable is Brand from the Goonies!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    boogieman said:
    yeah, I enjoyed it. Been a while since I saw the 1st so will have to rewatch it. Some proper LOL moments, I was slightly confused by their plan to stop the kid killing that doctor by, erm, killing about 400 people. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12390
    zepp76 said:
    boogieman said:
    It’s hard to think that Cable is Brand from the Goonies!
    Blimey, you’re right, so he is! I’d never realised. I haven’t seen The Goonies in decades. 
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7058
    tFB Trader
    Friends with Money (Netflix)

I found a list of 100 BFI recommended films and amongst all the amazing art house stuff Mrs R decided this was the one she wanted to watch. Even she agreed that not much happened and we'd have been better off watching another Vera.
  • zepp76 said:
    VimFuego said:
    I enjoyed it but I do wish they had shown the true extent of the finds especially the extraordinary helmet. I have a keen interest in these things, especially metal detecting when I used to go out (it’s my dream to find something of that period, Viking even more so). Still enjoyable though, thank you for the suggestion.
    We just watched it - thought it was excellent, and quite a lovely Suffolk summer diversion from grey winter London. Honestly though, the treatment of Basil Brown: at least it is being highlighted.

And yes, Fiennes’ accent was spot on.

9/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012

I heard the other day that he was actually born in Ipswich, although I'd hazard a guess that he didn't grow up with a local accent.
    It's gonna sound sad, but it was the accent that made me want to watch the film. So often the country accent is portrayed as some sort of bastardised bristol type, so it was refreshing to see it properly done.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I just watched Cocoon for the first time in at least 20 years. I had forgotten that it is such a charming and delightful film.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Oh yes, I also watched the Dig last weekend. Lovely film, exactly my sort of thing.

The pompous archaeologist (Ken Stott) was bloody annoying, but the film was a beautiful recreation of the times. Carey Mulligan was very good in her role, I can't see why some people complain that she was too young, it's just a film re-creation of events, not some kind of factual documentation. 

Some very touching moments. 
  • Philly_Q said:

I heard the other day that he was actually born in Ipswich, although I'd hazard a guess that he didn't grow up with a local accent.
    Saw him in Southwold last year - perhaps they were filming at the time.

It does seem like any country based drama south of the midlands goes straight for the identikit Thomas Hardy accent. That’s one of the things I liked about Detectorists - that the accents and Suffolk locations were suitably subtle.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6712
    We watched "Tokyo Story".
    Genius film-making would be an understatement. Ozu kills it. 
  • Watched Greenland last night, after a recommendation from Mark Kermode.

Very good film, if a little bleak. Well worth a watch.

R.
  • merlin said:
    We watched "Tokyo Story".
    Genius film-making would be an understatement. Ozu kills it. 

Yes that's a fantastic movie.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3596
    'High and Low', Kurosawa. Might be my favourite of Mifune's performances. 
  • King Rocker on Sky Arts. 

Stewart Lee’s documentary about The Nightingales and a statue of King Kong. Good stuff. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • DOUBLE INDEMNITY - 1944

Wow - what a great film (especially good for a Sunday afternoon with a nice cuppa). Directed by Billy Wilder and scripted by Raymond Chandler, so a good combination behind it.

Classic film noir with vintage Hollywood style, and pretty smoldering for its time (Barbara Stanwyk and Fred MacMurray play a pretty hot couple)

9/10
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1870
    Watched The Dig and Promising Young Woman both with same leading lady. Very different films but I think The Dig wins overall. Weirdly earlier this week I got round to seeing Yesteday the ‘Beatles parallel universe’ thing and Lily James was in that and in The Dig.