What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    boogieman said:
    The Titan. Sam Worthington as a soldier being transformed into some sort of hybrid that can survive on a distant moon to ensure the future of the human race. But it’s all being done by an uncaring and ethically corrupt baddy scientist, oh noes!!! Worthington becomes mute once he’s transformed, which is probably for the best and why they chose him for the part in the first place as he’s got the acting skills of a cabbage. 

Utter wank. 
    Sam Worthington seems to be one of the most forgettable leading men I've come across in cinema.
    Yup, he even makes Ryan Gosling look good. :)  And yet he still gets parts in megabudget films like Avatar and Terminator. No idea how.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    DrJazzTap said:
    The Sound of Metal

I would say this is required viewing, I watched it with some decent headphones on and the sound design is really powerful. Really affected me. 

Think I'll give this a go next. Ta.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 953
    Watched 'I Tonya' last night
    Don't like skating, didn't fancy it at all, thought it would be usual US girly sentimental chick-flick with shit music..
    Really enjoyed it ,Its funny ,gritty and more or less true and its got a great soundtrack too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    After much badgering from Mrs equalsql I reluctantly sat down to watch Barbara Streisand in Funny Girl  (1968) on Netflix last night.. and it was great. Very funny and a really wonderful musical. I have to admit that Streisand is a much better comic actress than I would have given her credit for, her timing was superb. It was a reminder of just how good musicals were back in those days, as opposed to the modern versions like La La Land which are cringeworthy. 
    It's  a brilliant, feel good Sunday matinee for a rainy weekend.
    10/10
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    Streisand is a very good actor full stop. Watch Yentl if you haven’t already seen it, she’s excellent in it. 
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12887
    The Trial of the Chicago Seven on Netflix, thought I knew the story but I didn't really, didn't fancy this film and a couple of people said it was good, I really enjoyed it.  Lots of good performances I thought - particularly Eddie Redmayne, Ali G and John Carroll Lynch.

Missus munckee thought it dragged on though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SPECTRUM001SPECTRUM001 Frets: 1663
    munckee said:
    The Trial of the Chicago Seven on Netflix, thought I knew the story but I didn't really, didn't fancy this film and a couple of people said it was good, I really enjoyed it.  Lots of good performances I thought - particularly Eddie Redmayne, Ali G and John Carroll Lynch.

Missus munckee thought it dragged on though.
    Yep, that pretty much sums it up.

Poor old Sacha - I heard him interviewed on Front Row last week, and I still think of him as Ali G (which must be twenty plus years ago).
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    @ICBM I watched Rose Island in Italian on Netflix. Not suggesting you watch it again, but go into audio and subtitles next time you watch a Foreign Lang film.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    AlexC said:
    @ICBM I watched Rose Island in Italian on Netflix. Not suggesting you watch it again, but go into audio and subtitles next time you watch a Foreign Lang film.
    That's great, thanks. Live and learn :). You're right, it wasn't good enough (or actually bad enough, with the dubbing) to be worth watching again in Italian, but I'll look for it next time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SRichSRich Frets: 765
    edited April 2021

Promising Young Woman             8/10  Sky Movies / NowTV

I wandered into this having heard the gush of reviews in the last few days, but I have to confess to liking  Carey Mulligan’s latest offerings. ‘The Dig’ was a terrific movie but she had Ralph Fiennes to bounce off and I have a great interest in all things archeology.

This really wrong-footed me as it wasn’t what I expected in a good way – great to watch too, much is made of the colour palate in play throughout.

Much darker in feel than expected and Mulligan is maturing into a VERY watchable actress.    

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    My daughters are big fans of Dylan O'Brien (who you say?), so we watched his new Netflix film Love and Monsters with our Friday night takeaway. Despite having many plot holes big enough to drive a double decker bus through, it was an entertaining family romp. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    edited April 2021
    In the interests of my educating of my other half on the cinemagraphic classics...

North by NorthWest

Cary Grant and Eve St Marie...do I need to say more?

10/10.

One of the greatest films ever made and then some. Just incredible, innovative, genius...

A masterpiece.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1510
    Sound Of Metal

Hardly any ‘metal’ in this (or music full stop), but that’s irrelevant. It’s a fascinating tale of a drummer who loses his hearing and how his life changes as a result. He has trouble convincing himself that he will never drum in a band again but it’s a tough ask. It’s quite scary how it can happen to anybody if you don’t take the correct precautions when going to regular loud live shows (like yours truly, although luckily my hearing is pitch perfect). Pretty sure this was originally based on the band Jucifer, maybe unintentionally. Still, a stirring watch.

8.5/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25114
    axisus said:
    My daughters are big fans of Dylan O'Brien (who you say?), so we watched his new Netflix film Love and Monsters with our Friday night takeaway. Despite having many plot holes big enough to drive a double decker bus through, it was an entertaining family romp. 
    Who?  I did say.

Then I realised I've seen him in American Assassin.  I don't really remember it at all, not even whether it was any good or not.  All I do recall was that it seemed strange having this self-taught Jason Bourne type character played by someone who looks about sixteen.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2270
    Nobody (with Bob Odenkirk)
    Imagine John Wick meets Denzel Washington's Equalizer with a bunch of humour.
    Excellent film. Yes it is brainless. Yes there are plotholes and totally un-explained characters turning up but there are guns and knives and explosions so that will do for me.

Rental via Apple at the moment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Nobody.

Absolutely loved it. Complete popcorn film, leave your brain at the title - there's no deep message going on here.

8/10
  • SpringywheelSpringywheel Frets: 954
    edited April 2021
    You guys have to watch the Sun Ra documentary on Prime (‘A Joyful Noise’). About the ‘Afrofuturist’ jazz musician Sun Ra, a bit (!) of a wack job who believed he was an extra terrestrial from Saturn sent to planet earth to preach messages of peace. Wonderfully eccentric character who happened to be a genius pianist.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    Run on Netlfix. Poor.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3592
    Gassage said:
    In the interests of my educating of my other half on the cinemagraphic classics...

North by NorthWest

Cary Grant and Eve St Marie...do I need to say more?

10/10.

One of the greatest films ever made and then some. Just incredible, innovative, genius...

A masterpiece.
    There are great directors and there is Hitchcock.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2270
    You guys have to watch the Sun Ra documentary on Prime (‘A Joyful Noise’). About the ‘Afrofuturist’ jazz musician Sun Ra, a bit (!) of a wack job who believed he was an extra terrestrial from Saturn sent to planet earth to preach messages of peace. Wonderfully eccentric character who happened to be a genius pianist.

I shall. Thanks.