What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22933
    edited May 2022
    boogieman said:
    Blood on Satan’s Claw (on Talking Pictures’ Cellar Club). Odd little early 70s folk horror film with more than a whiff of The Wicker Man about it. It’s too long, the effects are very “ketchup for blood” and the plot pacing isn’t great but it’s still quite intriguing… apparently Mark Gattis rates it, if that counts for anything. 

Fun fact: the young lady who plays Angel Blake (the lead baddy) was Robin Askwith’s girlfriend and starred in several of the “Confessions” sex comedies with him. 
    Another fun fact: the director Piers Haggard is the father of actress Daisy Haggard, who was on Inside No.9 this week.

Blood on Satan’s Claw and The Wicker Man are often lumped into the "folk horror" category.  I got this box set a few months ago, which doesn't include either of them, but is mighty cool.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2641
    I went to see Everything Everywhere All At Once this afternoon. I thought it was completely wonderful, and I can't imagine seeing anything likely to usurp it as my favourite film of the year - it would have to be a hell of a year for that to happen. It's as frenetic as it seems from the trailer, but every detail, however ridiculous-seeming, makes sense. The only point of comparison I have is something like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, but it's simultaneously more over the top and more grounded than that. I want to go and see it again, immediately. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    ^ Sounds like something I should see. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24349
    goldtop said:
    The Hunt (Amazon Prime). Jeebus - it starts dark and just gets darker and darker. Mads Mikkelsen is brilliant - as is the rest of the cast. All understated Swedish acting, scenery and filming. 7/10

Danish! Not Swedish.
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    (ahem) To be fair, I only learned my Swedish from the chef on The Muppets.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    Blood on Satan’s Claw (on Talking Pictures’ Cellar Club). Odd little early 70s folk horror film with more than a whiff of The Wicker Man about it. It’s too long, the effects are very “ketchup for blood” and the plot pacing isn’t great but it’s still quite intriguing… apparently Mark Gattis rates it, if that counts for anything. 

Fun fact: the young lady who plays Angel Blake (the lead baddy) was Robin Askwith’s girlfriend and starred in several of the “Confessions” sex comedies with him. 
    Another fun fact: the director Piers Haggard is the father of actress Daisy Haggard, who was on Inside No.9 this week.

Blood on Satan’s Claw and The Wicker Man are often lumped into the "folk horror" category.  I got this box set a few months ago, which doesn't include either of them, but is mighty cool.

Ooh, want ! 
    boogieman said:
    Ooh, want ! 
    It wasn't cheap!  But it was a must-buy.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    edited May 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:
    Ooh, want ! 
    It wasn't cheap!  But it was a must-buy.
    I’ll have to ask Father Xmas then. :)

@Philly_Q have you seen Midsommar? Very much in the style of Wicker Man. It’s very good. 
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11801
    Philly_Q said:
    boogieman said:

@Philly_Q , this is right up my passage.  However... I had a squizz on Amazon, and one review said that there was no UK release pending and that Blu Ray discs  11 & 12 are region A only...
    boogieman said: 
    @Philly_Q have you seen Midsommar? Very much in the style of Wicker Man. It’s very good. 
    I have.  Only the director's cut, which is about half an hour longer and I gather that's all just fleshing out parts of the story.  It's a long slow build-up anyway so I'd imagine the longer version just adds to the tension.  It's not going to displace The Wicker Man in my affections but it's very good.
    Offset said:
    @Philly_Q , this is right up my passage.  However... I had a squizz on Amazon, and one review said that there was no UK release pending and that Blu Ray discs  11 & 12 are region A only...
    Yeah, I should think a UK release is very unlikely.  Severin's an indie label and all those films will have different UK distributors, if they have UK distribution at all  - some of them are on BFI, Celia's on Second Sight I think.  I didn't know about the region A discs, but I have a multi-region player.

Some of these films are on Shudder, if you subscribe to that - including the Woodlands Dark and Days Bewitched documentary.
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Love and Honour (2006) the last film in Yoji Yamada's Samurai Trilogy. A superb exploration of what it means to love someone. Compared to the combat insanity of Takashi Miike's 13 Assassins (also a great film in its own, different way), there is almost no swordplay in this - but what there is is intensely pitched. A wonderful film, especially for anyone interested in Edo period samurai culture.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15515
    oooh, that folk horror thing sounds right up my snickleway, I do like that sort of thing.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• BluesLoverBluesLover Frets: 670
    Midsommar is available now on Netflix 
  • guitartangoguitartango Frets: 1025
    Midsommar is available now on Netflix 
    Weird but good film
    “Ken sent me.”
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2609
    edited May 2022 tFB Trader
    I went to see Everything Everywhere All At Once this afternoon. I thought it was completely wonderful, and I can't imagine seeing anything likely to usurp it as my favourite film of the year - it would have to be a hell of a year for that to happen. It's as frenetic as it seems from the trailer, but every detail, however ridiculous-seeming, makes sense. The only point of comparison I have is something like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, but it's simultaneously more over the top and more grounded than that. I want to go and see it again, immediately. 
    I saw that too recently...  Absolutely brilliant film..  Creative and fun and totally bat shit crazy....  Very highly recommended. Just dont expect to understand anything thats going on for like the first 20 or 30mins.  9/10

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    The Good Liar
    What a great film
    I had it sussed after 5 mins, except I didnt
    Helen Mirren and Sir Ian McKellen doing what they do best
    9/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• HaychHaych Frets: 5644
    The Marksman

Goodness, I do watch some rubbish!

A straight to streaming Liam Neeson action/drama thing.  

What can I say, too long, shallow plot, no depth to the characters, hardly any action, not even a mild twist and an obvious but undramatic ending.

I'll be kind and give it 4/10 - on Prime if you have too much life left and need to shorten it by a couple of hours.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReggaebassReggaebass Frets: 63
    Watched the original 1986 Top Gun last night, don’t think I’ve seen it since it came out, really good watching it again, good flight scenes for it’s day 
    Riddim up
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Everything Everywhere All at Once I agree with @Rabs & @Grangousier above that this is a wonderful film, well worth seeing. The cast were all good so it seems unfair to single people out but it has to be said that Michelle Yeoh is superb  and Jamie Lee Curtis is just wonderful - the scenes between them are hilarious.
     I also have to mention the wonderful callbacks & homages to famous films or types of film. One of them is very obvious, but the ones that pleased me most were the homages to late 1970s Jackie `Chan films. In those early films in his career Chan did lots of intricate prop fighting with things like traditional Chinese wooden inn stools, clay pipes, etc - whatever happened to be lying around in the scene where the fight was taking place. Michelle Yeoh of course knows all that stull and they incorporate it hilariously into the fight scenes, along with numerous kung-fu tropes from the classic Shaw Brothers period. It's very funny stuff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12907
    That sounds right up my street. Need to go see it.