What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• HaychHaych Frets: 5773
    Picked a couple of doozies yesterday.

Well, it was pizza night so after the Dominos had been delivered it was up to the kids to pick the movie.  As you would imagine, two teenagers agreeing on a movies requires the alignment of the planets and a full solar eclipse to happen all at once!

Anyway, they both decided on Godzilla: King of Monsters

Oh. My. Actual. Goodness!

What a complete load of utter tosh!  And this went on for two hours!  Fortunately for me, they both got bored and disappeared upstairs after the first hour!

Just don't bother -10/10

Next I flicked through choices on Netflix and decided to watch Scary Movie on my todd.  I do like the Wayan brothers and vaguely recall watching it many years ago when it first came out.

Urgh!  My younger self made some seriously questionable choices!  Again, utter rubbish and not one of the Wayan's better movies.  Not funny, just puerile.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12487
    Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 (Horror Channel). I remember going to see this at the cinema as a kid and thinking it was great. It’s not, it’s utter, utter crap! Wobbly sets, terribly stilted acting, rubbish effects, nonsensical plot, loads of “WTF, seriously?” moments: it’s got the lot. (Including spoiler alert!…..Bernard Cribbins saving the world with some planks). It’s so ridiculously bad it makes an episode of Thunderbirds look like a sci fi masterpiece, but it’s not in the “so bad it’s good” department either ; it’s just…. bad. I don’t know how Peter Cushing kept a straight face while making this pile of shite. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    boogieman said:
    Daleks’ Invasion Earth 2150 (Horror Channel). I remember going to see this at the cinema as a kid and thinking it was great. It’s not, it’s utter, utter crap! Wobbly sets, terribly stilted acting, rubbish effects, nonsensical plot, loads of “WTF, seriously?” moments: it’s got the lot. (Including spoiler alert!…..Bernard Cribbins saving the world with some planks). It’s so ridiculously bad it makes an episode of Thunderbirds look like a sci fi masterpiece, but it’s not in the “so bad it’s good” department either ; it’s just…. bad. I don’t know how Peter Cushing kept a straight face while making this pile of shite. 

They also had Dr. Who and the Daleks (with Roy Castle) on just before it, saying they were "Channel Premieres" which I frankly don't believe...  They're both rubbish but I do have a soft spot for them.  I think they're both coming out in 4K, which will highlight the dodgy special effects even more than the Horror Channel's VHS-tape picture quality.

I was pleased to see that although London will be in ruins by 2150, Sugar Puffs will still be available.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Last night we watched Date Night.  A light hearted Steve Carell film about a married coupe who go on a date night.

They try to get into an exclusive restaurant but fail so wait at the bar in case a table opens up.  One of the staff calls out a name to whom nobody responds, so Steve and his Mrs decide to risk pretending to be them and take the table.

Halfway through the meal a couple of heavies visit the table looking for something the original people stole - then starts a night of Mr & Mrs ordinary trying to get themselves out of being mistaken for Mr & Mrs criminal.

Quite good fun, decent entertainment and easy to watch with a few laughs thrown in.

7/10 on Disney +, I think.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MattharrierMattharrier Frets: 455
    Having started training for a climbing wall instructor quali, I've been binging lots of climbing videos on youtube. This has led to me rewatching:

Valley Uprising (Prime) - the story of big wall climbing in Yosemite Valley.
    The search for Freedom (Prime) - a documentary about the people who started various extreme sports and where that has led
    The Dawn Wall (Netflix) - the mind boggling first free ascent of The Dawn Wall, a climbing route up El Capital in Yosemite that would be beyond impossible for most of us. Tommy Caldwell? Did it with a missing finger.
    Free Solo (I bought this on Prime) - the even more mind boggling first free solo ascent of El Capitan by Alex Honnold.

All of these are brilliant, if you like climbing and similar endeavours. Even if you don't, they are all really well made documentaries and worth a watch if that's your kind of bag. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3732
    Wind River - quite a slow paced but very well done thriller set on a snowbound US native reservation.  7/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3732
    The Game - dunno if i think it is great or a miss.    David Fincher 1997 mystery movie.  An ultrarich banker is given a ‘game’ as a birthday present. 

?/10
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 396
    22 July - Netflix
    2 hours and 24 minutes, about when Breivik slaughtered lots of innocent kids.

I would have preferred it be be with Norwegian cast and subtitles, but it was still pretty harrowing and made me cry a bit (which isn't that hard) 7/10

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Having started training for a climbing wall instructor quali, I've been binging lots of climbing videos on youtube. This has led to me rewatching:

Valley Uprising (Prime) - the story of big wall climbing in Yosemite Valley.
    The search for Freedom (Prime) - a documentary about the people who started various extreme sports and where that has led
    The Dawn Wall (Netflix) - the mind boggling first free ascent of The Dawn Wall, a climbing route up El Capital in Yosemite that would be beyond impossible for most of us. Tommy Caldwell? Did it with a missing finger.
    Free Solo (I bought this on Prime) - the even more mind boggling first free solo ascent of El Capitan by Alex Honnold.

All of these are brilliant, if you like climbing and similar endeavours. Even if you don't, they are all really well made documentaries and worth a watch if that's your kind of bag. 
    The Alpinist is pretty awesome too.

• MoominpapaMoominpapa Frets: 1649
    Tonight I rewatched Yakuza Apocalypse (2015). Utterly bonkers masterpiece by Takashi Miike. There's no way to describe it except to say that it probably won't be quite what you expect ;) .  
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    The King's Man 0/10

I quite liked the first one in the series, it was irreverent, funny, and the action scenes were slick.

This sequel (well prequel) is quite genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen. An absolute hot mess. 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4269
    The Andromeda Strain (1969)

A great and believable science-fi classic. Well paced plot and interesting 60’s edits and electronic soundtrack.  

Seen it numerous times. Still a solid watch.  Skip the remake.

8/10

Absolutely awesome film 
    VFW (Shudder)

A group of elderly military veterans protect a young woman who's on the run from a gang of drug dealers.  Basically this is Assault on Precinct 13, even the music sounds like 1970s John Carpenter...  The older cast members are familiar faces (Stephen Lang, William Sadler, Martin Kove, Fred Williamson) but it's a very low-budget effort.  It's ludicrously violent but you can't tell what's going on half the time because it's so dark, the camera's constantly shaking and the editing is pretty clumsy.

I really liked director Joe Begos's previous film, Bliss, but this was a disappointment.  It's just OK.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7311
    Maverick 

I didn’t like Top Gun even at 16 years old so when I saw the trailer for Maverick i mentally marked it as one to miss. My daughter though fancies one of the young dudes in it and asked me to take her last night.

I read some reviews ahead of it and was pleasantly surprised - it sounded less cliched and more grown up than the first one

It wasn’t , it was shite

4 out of 10,  3 marks for Jennifer Connelly and 1 for her old 911
    Wanderlust

Paul Rudd and Jennifer Anniston head up this romcom from about 2012. 

Desperate to get on the property ladder in New York they buy a tiny apartment just before both find themselves unexpectedly unemployed. They sell up and head for Atlanta where Rudd intends to work for his brother. 

On the way they have a slight accident and end up spending the night at a hippy commune in the middle of nowhere. After reaching Atlanta and hating it, they head back to the commune for good where Anniston seems to embrace the lifestyle but Rudd struggles to adjust. 

Utter rubbish, don’t bother. Unfunny and not even slightly romantic. I ended up turning it off. 

It’s so rubbish I’m not even going to say where I saw it, in case one of you is sadistic enough to attempt it. 

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12999
    Top Gun Maverick 8/10

Looks amazing, sounds amazing, hits the right nostalgia points and the emotional bits with Maverick and Rooster hit all the right notes.

If you like the original this is a must see at the cinema. 
    All the Moons (Shudder)

In 1876, a dying young girl is found in the ruins of a convent by a female vampire, who saves her and gives her eternal life.  The two are separated and the girl is taken in by a kind, widowed farmer, but the priest and villagers are suspicious of her... all the girl wants is to be like everyone else.

Although it's "horror", this is quite a gentle little film, somewhat in the vein of Let the Right One In, although it's not quite in that league, but I really enjoyed it.  Maybe the first film I've seen in the Basque language.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3146
    The Game - dunno if i think it is great or a miss.    David Fincher 1997 mystery movie.  An ultrarich banker is given a ‘game’ as a birthday present. 

?/10
    I like The Game, I saw it back in the '90's and I've seen it several times since.  But the ending just spoils it for me, just too far fetched. I mean, there's 4 sides to that building, he could jumped off any of them!  

I wonder if Sean Penn would've got his money back if MD had picked the wrong side?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6303
    Rewatched Blade Runner 2049 (Netflix). I wasn't a huge fan the first time round but it was definitely better second time around, even on a small screen. But now I'm left with the feeling that the story is really unfinished. The villain just literally wanders off, FFS!

There were some silly bits which seem even sillier than I remembered:
    * bad guy says, "I will do something really bad to you but not right now, meanwhile here's your chance to escape my clutches"
    * the resistance bit is just a red herring

Biggest disappointment: Joi is under used and then just thrown away without any significance, almost as if the writers had a great idea, but then dropped it.
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    Finally got around to watching Once Upon a Time in Hollywood today, really enjoyed it, highly recommended if you have 2 1/2 hours to kill. 8/10