What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22929
    munckee said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness

Now on Disney+... I was looking forward to this, seeing as it's directed by Sam Raimi.  But a few horror-movie elements, some interesting guest appearances and a Bruce Campbell cameo are simply not enough.  The story is simply not very good.
    I watched this yesterday, very underwhelmed. 
    I was surprised, because I really like most of the MCU films and I'm definitely a Sam Raimi fan... but it just doesn't work.  I was wondering if it was because I watched it on TV, sitting there on my own, but I'm sure I haven't watched all the other Marvel films in the cinema.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 371
    Shrews said:
    Mommy (2014) Film 4 I think, last night

I was just about to go to bed and caught the first 5 mins of this film and got sucked in. I ended up going to bed at 4am. Best film I've seen this year. 

Canadian drama about a widowed mother who has a son with ADHD and behavioural issues that she struggles to control. An ending I didn't see coming after quite an emotional sequence featuring the mum's hopes and imaginations for her son's future.

All three of the main characters were acted brilliantly.

9/10 

We watched that after seeing your glowing review, it was indeed a very good film. Cheers. My other half lived in Canada for several years, so that added an extra dimension of interest.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7200
    Elvis,

Im a fan but not a huge one so didn’t know what to expect . Turned to my wife after half an hour and said this may be the best film I’ve seen for years.  By the end it had slightly outstayed it’s welcome but still an 8.5 out of 10.. Even after 2.5 hours they had to miss chunks of his life out but luckily a lot of the film concentrated on his early years which suited me . A really entertaining film , a great soundtrack and Hanks and the good looking fella were great 
    Revealer (Shudder)

A stripper and a moral crusader get trapped together in a peep show club... on the Day of Judgement.  Is there any way they can escape?  This starts as a comedy horror but turns into a rather touching little lesson in friendship and not judging others.  Not bad.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3576
    munckee said:
    Philly_Q said:

Now on Disney+... I was looking forward to this, seeing as it's directed by Sam Raimi.  But a few horror-movie elements, some interesting guest appearances and a Bruce Campbell cameo are simply not enough.  The story is simply not very good.
    Agreed. I thought the one-eyed creature fx was good - almost like claymation - but the story was woeful 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5641
    Man vs Bee

OK, it's not a film strictly speaking but I've included it since it feels like it was made as a film and then chopped up into nine 10-15 minute pieces.  Don't ask me why, it's weird.

Anyway, Rowan Atkinson back doing his thing with some light hearted slapstick, cartoon-esq comedy.  If you like Mr Bean you'll probably enjoy this, it seems heavily borrowed from his former character.

There's nothing offensive at all and would be good for all the family to enjoy.

It's not rip-roaringly funny but it's pretty decent entertainment with a couple of significant moments (won't spoil anything).

The premise for the story is one inept human male gets job as a house-sitter for a wealthy and entitled couple in their lavish home while they sun themselves on warmer shores.  Enter one bumble-bee and chaos ensues.

If you binge watch, as we did, it runs to about 90 minutes or so, a bit like a film.

On Netflix.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4181
    Philly_Q said:
    All the Moons (Shudder)

In 1876, a dying young girl is found in the ruins of a convent by a female vampire, who saves her and gives her eternal life.  The two are separated and the girl is taken in by a kind, widowed farmer, but the priest and villagers are suspicious of her... all the girl wants is to be like everyone else.

Although it's "horror", this is quite a gentle little film, somewhat in the vein of Let the Right One In, although it's not quite in that league, but I really enjoyed it.  Maybe the first film I've seen in the Basque language.
    Sounds cool
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11791
    edited June 2022
    Haych said:
    Man vs Bee

OK, it's not a film strictly speaking but I've included it since it feels like it was made as a film and then chopped up into nine 10-15 minute pieces.  Don't ask me why, it's weird.

Anyway, Rowan Atkinson back doing his thing with some light hearted slapstick, cartoon-esq comedy.  If you like Mr Bean you'll probably enjoy this, it seems heavily borrowed from his former character.

There's nothing offensive at all and would be good for all the family to enjoy.

It's not rip-roaringly funny but it's pretty decent entertainment with a couple of significant moments (won't spoil anything).

The premise for the story is one inept human male gets job as a house-sitter for a wealthy and entitled couple in their lavish home while they sun themselves on warmer shores.  Enter one bumble-bee and chaos ensues.

If you binge watch, as we did, it runs to about 90 minutes or so, a bit like a film.

On Netflix.
    I'm guessing it's in a similar vein to Mousehunt, which is a work of genius.  Mini-O and I used to watch it every Christmas and I just might reinstate the tradition.  Early :-)

* EDIT: Thanks @Haych - will check it out!
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4181
    Philly_Q said:
    Initiation (Amazon Prime)

I thought this was going to be a dumb slasher movie set in an American college.  And it is exactly that... but it's also far too serious in tone, extremely boring and has a resolution which really doesn't make much sense even by horror movie standards.

The Empty Man (Disney+)

An ex-cop investigates the disappearance of a teenage neighbour, leading him first to a legend of a mysterious figure known as The Empty Man and then to a cultish society called the Pontifex Institute... I thought this was going to be a Candyman-style horror but it goes in completely different directions.  There are familiar plot elements here, but the slow build-up is very effective and there are a couple of genuine WTF moments.  I'm surprised I'd never heard of this film before.
    Saw the trailer ,looks good 
  • stufisherstufisher Frets: 845
     Another shout-out and thumbs-up for  The Courier (Benny Cucumberpatch) on Prime.

Hadn't heard of this true story before but I shall read more about it in the wake of the film.

Not overacted or melodramatic, the key characters are on-point and their inter-relationships are brought into play in bringing the human story to the fore.

The tensions of the Cold War are the backdrop to the story and film sets are spot-on for their authentic feel (buildings, vehicles, clothes, behaviours, lighting / tone).

The fundamentals of the storyline are well documented elsewhere and I don't wanna spoil anything here ... suffice it to say it's a good watch that gradually pulls you in as it develops tensions and recognisable challenges. If you want a couple of hours with a well acted, good story and no CGI then go for it.

8.5/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5641
    Love Sarah

Not sure how to describe what sort of film this is really.  Tells a quite a nice story which starts with the tragedy of the death of Sarah, who was due to open a bakery with her business partner.

Her business partner (Shelley Conn) was about to throw in the towel when she was confronted by Sarah's estranged daughter (Shannon Tarbet) who convinces her to keep the idea going.  Add in Sarah's estranged mother (Celia Imrie) and a chap (Rupert Penry-Jones) who thinks he may be the father of Sarah's daughter and also who happens to be a Michelin star chef and you have the dynamic for quite a touching story about mending struggling relationships and a struggling fledgling business in London.

I liked it.  Think it's on Netflix.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6079
    Chinatown. Revered as a cinema classic, I'd not sat down and watched it for some years. It's a beautiful looking film - many frames could be printed as art works (Nicholson's expression in close up as the sheep are driven into the courtroom is a favourite) and the overall colour palette using slight sepia tinted 70's film stock with a touch of grain is sumptuous. Nicholson has never been better, his more recent performances are cartoonish compared to the acting chops he brings to bear as Jake Gittes. I'd always viewed it as the story of the destruction of Evelyn Cross (Dunaway) due to parental abuse but viewing it again it's more about Jake's misreading of the case and the eventual realisation of his error as Noah Cross leads the hysterical child away at the end. Polanski, for all his flaws, has made some beautifully realised films.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    His House (Netflix)

A refugee couple from South Sudan are housed in a dilapidated house in a bleak, run-down estate in an unnamed British town.  Within days they start experiencing strange sights and sounds, and the husband becomes convinced there are malign forces living in the walls of the house, including the spirit of their young daughter who died on the journey.

This had been on my watchlist for ages but I never got round to it... it's an unusual setup for a horror movie, the performances are pretty good and I was surprised to see Matt Smith as a council worker who's more sympathetic than he initially appears.  The psychological disturbances brought on by grief, loss and guilt are interesting ideas, but the film falls apart a bit when it strays into more typical horror territory.  Not bad though.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11791
    Philly_Q said:
    His House (Netflix)

A refugee couple from South Sudan are housed in a dilapidated house in a bleak, run-down estate in an unnamed British town.  Within days they start experiencing strange sights and sounds, and the husband becomes convinced there are malign forces living in the walls of the house, including the spirit of their young daughter who died on the journey.

This had been on my watchlist for ages but I never got round to it... it's an unusual setup for a horror movie, the performances are pretty good and I was surprised to see Matt Smith as a council worker who's more sympathetic than he initially appears.  The psychological disturbances brought on by grief, loss and guilt are interesting ideas, but the film falls apart a bit when it strays into more typical horror territory.  Not bad though.
    I liked it too, but was ultimately disappointed in the end.  I'd have given it 5/10.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3012
    The Dreamers
    Forgot I had this on DVD and although I've watched it before it was a long time ago. A lot of arty nonsense really but strangely compelling and not just because of Eva Green looking her loveliest. This time around I enjoyed the soundtrack to the film which I didn't notice first time. It helped the film tick along and whilst 'arty nonsense' might not be to everyone's taste this film is decent entertainment and memorable 8/10

The Neighbour
    Caught this late last night on Horror/Legend and it kept me watching at a time when I really should've been going to sleep. The whole thing is a bit 'bitty' and can't say I enjoyed the ending but there was some decent performances especially the lead. Worth a watch 6/10

The Cleaning Lady
    Watched this late the other night. Think it was on Horror/Legend? Perfect looking woman involved in an affair with a married man makes friends with a burns victim cleaning lady, who seems to have serious social skills issues and the whole friendship is extremely unlikely from the off IMO. The inevitable happens of course. In it's favour there's some good performances, the suspense level is high and it's well done for a low budget movie.6/10

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12906
    The Bad Guys 7/10

Dreamworks latest animated offering, it's basically Ocean's Eleven meets Tarantino but aimed at nine year olds. Great animation, brilliant soundtrack and I laughed out loud several times. Highly recommended to anyone with kids. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24337
    munckee said:
    Philly_Q said:

Agreed.

Such a shame. I really liked the first Dr Strange film.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    The Old Guard. Netflix. 

Charlize Theron, plus others I’ve never heard of, as leader of a gang of immortal, self-healing mercenaries with a well meaning agenda for humanity. It’s total nonsense but it’s quite entertaining and has some good fight scenes. I puzzled over who the baddie was until I realised it was the boyfriend from Queens Gambit, the one who’s eyes are too close together and looks like a strange rat/man hybrid. 
  • BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 283
    Most Dangerous Game. Picked from the top 10 list on Prime. Falls into the 'so bad it's good' category. It is truly absurd and I kept wondering how Christoph Waltz managed to get mixed up with such a load of bollocks.
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    Another Top gun Maverick watch here. Haven’t been to the pictures in years (Saturday morning matinee!) and enjoyed the feel, however the film wasn’t great. 5/10 and I’m being generous only because I loved the original so I’m biased (still listen to the soundtrack today). It’s not 1986 anymore and although a nice thought it didn’t do it for me. Certainly not what it’s being made out to be by a lot of people out there, my friends included. Think I’m just a miserable git nowadays.