What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    Keiko said:
    . Although Mark Rylance grates on me the more films I see him in, because he's basically the same in every film.
    yeah,   BFG every time 
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    The Dark and the Wicked (Shudder)

A brother and sister return to the family farm in Texas, where their elderly mother is looking after their bedbound, near-comatose father.  The mother tells them to leave, that some kind of evil presence is in the house (and indeed the whole vicinity), just waiting for the old man to die.  And then bad stuff starts happening...

I don't know quite what to make of this film.  It's not easy to get into - there are no tidy back-stories or explanations, none of the characters are likeable, it's all very bleak and serious.  I'm not sure the underlying story makes much sense.  The scary parts are all quite predictable, absolutely nothing I haven't seen before.  But nevertheless, it kind of works.  I think I'd appreciate it more on a second viewing.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13572
    just finished watching the 2021 Dune................took about 5 or 6 attempts, cos I kept giving up - and TBH wish I had

The story (for me) took some getting me head around, and I really cant stand when characters normal speaking voice, is a whisper I find it very difficult to make out what they're saying........... when the back-ground music/sound effects are 100 times louder.

Not sure I'll be rushing to see the sequel
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2612
    edited July 2022
    Emma (2020).  This was a bit odd, deliberately quirky and not terribly good but I did stick with it to the end, which I wouldn’t have if I hadn’t found it reasonably entertaining.

It was good looking in a slightly oddball way and faithful to the plot but took liberties with the characters and some of the casting seemed almost wilfully off, especially Johnny Flynn as Mr Knightley.  Still a moderately entertaining 6/10 if Austen adaptations are your thing.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12430
    edited July 2022
    Watched The Black Phone with my wife an daughter, was good, quite Stephen Kingy ( based on a story by his son Joe Hill) what is it with the King's and offing kids? Anyhoo we all enjoyed it 7/10.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Latest Spider-man film - my opinion remains, this latest incarnation has ruined Spidey for me. Poor. High School musical with webs. Actually it's worse than poor, it's crap.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bobs Burgers Movie

Watched on Saturday night due to standard issue attempt to find something that the teenagers AND parents could tolerate. I'm a fan of BB, but mostly the early stuff. Expected nothing from the movie, but actually it's very fun! Good songs, funny, quite decent plot. 

7/10
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2442
    Uncharted - 2/10

We actually had to give up after about 30 mins as it was so bad.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1756
    swiller said:

Top boy is absolutely superb.
    Definitely agree with you there swiller, it’s one if not the best series I’ve seen, the characters play such true to life parts, it was even more interesting to me as it was filmed on my stomping ground, look forward to the next series 
    What is it on? 

I've seen Netflix but all series?
    Ah unless there is a film called top boy? , I may have mistakenly thought it was the series being referred to 
    No, what I meant to ask is whether all of the series is available on Netflix. Thanks, I'll give it a go as it's been recommended to me few times before as well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    Uncharted - 2/10

We actually had to give up after about 30 mins as it was so bad.

Watched it at the weekend, brilliant film for what it is (tomb raider, national treasure esque) and I'm glad they have set it up for sequel.. Holland and Wahlberg bounce off each other well.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited August 2022
    Danny1969 said:

Mine - Netflix

Soldier steps on a mine but hears it and doesn't step off, leaving him safe but in a perilous situation in the desert with all kinds of problems facing him. 
    Pretty decent film 7/10 

This reminds me of a film I'd being trying to find. I think I missed the start and don't know what it's called. One of those late night ones you start watching a bit and end up getting right in to. 
    From what I remember...
    It was about a Serbian (?) and a Bosnian (?)(Balkans conflict), one gets badly injured in a battle and can't move and the other stands on a land mine and can't move. Everyone else is killed. So they end up stuck together, two people that really hate each other but are forced to cooperate. 
    I remember it being rather good, but it was a long time ago. It was mainly in subtitles but at the end nato arrive and some of them were well known actors from other nationalities and some English speaking. Can't remember who though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    bertie said:
    just finished watching the 2021 Dune................took about 5 or 6 attempts, cos I kept giving up - and TBH wish I had

The story (for me) took some getting me head around, and I really cant stand when characters normal speaking voice, is a whisper I find it very difficult to make out what they're saying........... when the back-ground music/sound effects are 100 times louder.

Not sure I'll be rushing to see the sequel
    I'm certain it's a film which is much better when you've read the book - since I have I can't be sure what it would be like if you haven't! But for me it was brilliant, because it very closely matched what I had in my head anyway, even though it's forty years since I read it - to the point I would almost say don't bother if you haven't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10465
    The Man from Toronto  -  Netflix - so bad and cliched I had to turn it off after 15 mins 

Against the sun  -  Netflix - a fighter plane in WW2 has to ditch in the Pacific Ocean after failing to find their carrier after a mission. This leaves the 3 men crew  in a small inflatable lifeboat with no water, no food and no means of navigation. Based on a true story and quite a good watch for a Sunday afternoon or similar. 
    6/10

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24662
    The Grey Man.

Ryan Gosling.

2/10.

It’s not that it’s a bad script, there doesn’t seem to be one at all.
    Absolute tosh.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23154
    Danny1969 said:

Mine - Netflix

Soldier steps on a mine but hears it and doesn't step off, leaving him safe but in a perilous situation in the desert with all kinds of problems facing him. 
    Pretty decent film 7/10 

This reminds me of a film I'd being trying to find. I think I missed the start and don't know what it's called. One of those late night ones you start watching a bit and end up getting right in to. 
    From what I remember...
    It was about a Serbian (?) and a Bosnian (?)(Balkans conflict), one gets badly injured in a battle and can't move and the other stands on a land mine and can't move. Everyone else is killed. So they end up stuck together, two people that really hate each other but are forced to cooperate. 
    I remember it being rather good, but it was a long time ago. It was mainly in subtitles but at the end nato arrive and some of them were well known actors from other nationalities and some English speaking. Can't remember who though.
    There's also a horror/thriller called Landmine Goes Click, about some American students on a hiking trip somewhere in Eastern Europe.  Kid steps on a mine and can't step off, some passing locals offer to help but then take advantage of them.  It's OK.
    Danny1969 said:

Mine - Netflix

Pretty decent film 7/10 

From what I remember...
    No Man's Land 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    Danny1969 said:

Mine - Netflix

Pretty decent film 7/10 

From what I remember...
    No Man's Land 

Excellent @BigBearKris , many thanks  :)

Worried it's not as good as I remember now, but will check it out. 
    Danny1969 said:

Mine - Netflix

Pretty decent film 7/10 

From what I remember...
    No Man's Land 

Excellent @BigBearKris , many thanks  :)

Worried it's not as good as I remember now, but will check it out. 
    I remember seeing this year's ago and it was quite strong and really good. Not sure how it's aged - good luck.
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7239
    Constantine on Amazon Prime last night.

3rd viewing and still packs a punch Keanu Reeves (spelling ?) plays a supernatural investigator/ exorcist investigating the suicide of the twin of a rather attractive cop (Rachel Weisz)

Cue interventions by angels (good and bad), a run in with Lucifer and lots more…..
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4327
    swiller said:

Top boy is absolutely superb.
    Definitely agree with you there swiller, it’s one if not the best series I’ve seen, the characters play such true to life parts, it was even more interesting to me as it was filmed on my stomping ground, look forward to the next series 
    What is it on? 

I've seen Netflix but all series?
    Ah unless there is a film called top boy? , I may have mistakenly thought it was the series being referred to 
    No, what I meant to ask is whether all of the series is available on Netflix. Thanks, I'll give it a go as it's been recommended to me few times before as well.
    @BigBearKris ;

Yes buddy. They’re all on there. 

Original two series listed as Top Boy Summerhouse. 

Series three and four just Top Boy. 

They are quite different. First two are darker. Very gritty. 

Second two series (once Drake bought the production rights) are easier going. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to