What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3732
    edited August 2022
    Contagion.. seen it before but this time it was a documentary
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1935
    Seasons 2 and 3 of Slow Horses now confirmed.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2755
    Thirteen Lives on Amazon.      Ron Howard’s film about the young football team that were trapped in caves in Thailand.  
    Brilliant - really well put together and strong performances from the cast.    
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    John_P said:
    Thirteen Lives on Amazon.      Ron Howard’s film about the young football team that were trapped in caves in Thailand.  
    Brilliant - really well put together and strong performances from the cast.    
    Ahh yes, the trailer looks excellent. It's an amazing story, and the film looks so authentic. If they'd have made a film like this in the 70s it would have a cast of Americans playing Thailand kids.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3091
    Rogue Agent Netflix 2022

Nearly turned it off after about 10 mims,  Im glad we stuck with it, slow burner, worth a watch

8/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10521
    Buba - Netflix

A German black comedy that's based around a small time crook who firmly believes any good fortune to him will negatively affect his brother, who is his only surviving family member. Things heat up when they join the local fake Albanian mafia.

Great film, really offbeat and different 8/10 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1327
    Halfway through rematching "Moneyball".

There's something about US sports movies (of which there are hundreds) that certainly the UK can't get anywhere close to. 

Brad Pitt and a brilliant supporting cast in a classic underdog situation that I remember being brilliant, but it's now 11 years old and I can't remember exactly what happens, which is great!

• On the theme of Brad Pitt, I watched Bullet Train at the weekend. Absolutely fucking dreadful! Complete mess of a film, like the bastard lovechild of a poor Guy Ritchie cockerney gangsta film and a Michael Bay abomination. I think Brad Pitt's great, but not even he could have saved this.

Only ever walked out if one film at the cinema in the past, this came perilously close to being the second!
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6225
    Ethel & Earnest BBC iPlayer

The animated version of Raymond Briggs' graphic novel telling the story of how his parents met back in 1928 to their passing in the early 1970s. Briggs sadly died a couple of days ago so it was especially poignant watching this film.
    This is a just a stunning piece of animation. It does his little graphic masterpiece justice. A wonderful tribute to his parents and a real reminder of just how stoical people were back then. The family lived in Wimbledon and during WW2, Young Raymond was evacuated to Devon at the tender age of 5 while his parents stayed home and experienced the horror of the German bombing of London, which the film portrays without pulling punches. 

A powerful, funny , life-affirming and sometimes, heartbreaking, film. 
    A social document no less of a 40 year period of the 20th century.
    An absolute 10 out of 10.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    equalsql said:
    Ethel & Earnest BBC iPlayer

That looks excellent, I must remember to watch it!
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2385

A Cure for Wellness 2017

A workhaholic Wall Street guy is sent by his evil board of directors to a remote Swiss health retreat to bring another executive back to NYC so that he sign documents to enable a merger which is urgent due to and SEC investigation.

It's soon clear the wellness centre is weird as hell and that the patients are brainwashed. What's going on.... and can the visitor from NYC convince his colleague to return?  

Technically fab - the locations, art design, and quality of cinematography are wonderful - and a great sound track. The Alps look amazing. Acting is great too Jason Isaacs especially as the creepily charming and handsome Dr Heinrich Volmer omniscient and controlling like some Nazi doctor.  

Old fashioned creepy weirdness and hallucinogenic visual scares work well, but the thing is about an hour too long and the pseudo science preposterous. 

Enjoyable if you have time and like old fashioning creepy stuff.

6/10

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Brio said:
    I read another review yesterday saying it doesn't work and is at least 30 minutes too long.  I'm sure the truth is somewhere inbetween.  The plot synopsis sounds like a variation on Frozen (no, not that one).
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1935
    Darn. Now my chips are pissed on. Luckily I like vinegar. :-)
  • I just watched “ Beneath the 12 mile Reef “  starring Robert Wagner & Peter graves 
      It’s about sponge divers and was made in 1953. I remember watching a film like this with my grandad when I was small in the 70s, not sure if this was it or not. I thought the one I watched they might have been free diving .

anyway it was an excellent film , with rival families ,a Romeo and Juliet type romance and a great story  of trying to get that big haul . 

I would reccomend it to anyone and it’s free on YouTube 
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Hot seat, Mel Gibson and others, utterly unwatchable tosh. I barely made it past the first intro scene but persisted for another 5 minutes, something I bitterly regret.

dayshift with Jamie fox on Netflix, another hot mess but at least semi watchable.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Valley of the Dead
    Rubbish Spanish comedy-horror.

Office Invasion
    Rubbish South African comedy-horror.

Day Shift
    Rubbish Hollywood comedy-horror.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3146
    Marnie

James Bond stars with the incredibly beautiful Tippi Hedren in a Hitchcock masterpiece. Forget the the poor script and awful-at-times dialogue and just admire how Hitchcock builds the tension, has us guessing to the end, and has us transfixed by Tippi's (Marnie's) mystery and vulnerability. 

8/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7311
    Nope

Interesting take on the sci-fi thriller.  I won’t spoil it for anyone but it’s a bit like a deeper , more thoughtful version of Cowboys and Aliens.

Warning - the backstory scene with the monkey is absolutely terrifying in case you were thinking of taking Grandma 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
    Cemetery Junction on Netflix. Some superb laugh out moments. Snork's tattoos were pure genius. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.