Office Invasion
    Rubbish South African comedy-horror.

Day Shift
    Rubbish Hollywood comedy-horror.
    At least they sound consistent.  :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13575
    edited August 2022
    watched that vampire thing with Snoop Dog and Jamie Foxx (Day Shift) -  it was "fun"  and nice easy watch - which is what I want from films

7/10
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23477
    boogieman said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Valley of the Dead
    Rubbish Spanish comedy-horror.

Office Invasion
    Rubbish South African comedy-horror.

Day Shift
    Rubbish Hollywood comedy-horror.
    At least they sound consistent.  :)
    Consistency is my watchword.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31045
    Elvis

I was really looking forward to this and to understanding his impact. We often take Elvis for granted as he was simply so influential.

However, Baz Lurhman's 'house' style just ruined the feel and emotion of the film- too fantasyland for me and too stylised. 

Given the strength of the subject material, I didn't feel the emotional engagement of BoRap or Rocketman, and just felt that the timeline sequence was far too lumpy too. Things that annoyed me was the complete ignoring of DJ Fontana's and Scotty Moore's back story and influence and no real things about the songwriter deals nor Lieber/Stoller.

Nice parts- well I'm old enough to remember that live satellite show and how people queued up to watch it.

Really superficial, far too artistically 'all about Baz' and a little too long - an opportunity missed to really unpack a story.

6/10

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12448
    Elvis

I'd echo some of the above comments by Gas, a spectacle indeed but being Baz Lurhman it was very fantasy like, yeah a bit shit how his original boys were not acknowledged other than in passing, still probably the best Elvis movie yet, I'm not even a fan of the King. 7/10
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 632
    Freedom uncut - 9/10

Brilliant really enjoyed it, nothing that wasn't already known but simply his story, you forget what an amazing songwriter, performer, singer and personality George Michael was.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:
    just finished watching the 2021 Dune................took about 5 or 6 attempts, cos I kept giving up - and TBH wish I had

The story (for me) took some getting me head around, and I really cant stand when characters normal speaking voice, is a whisper I find it very difficult to make out what they're saying........... when the back-ground music/sound effects are 100 times louder.

Not sure I'll be rushing to see the sequel
    I'm certain it's a film which is much better when you've read the book - since I have I can't be sure what it would be like if you haven't! But for me it was brilliant, because it very closely matched what I had in my head anyway, even though it's forty years since I read it - to the point I would almost say don't bother if you haven't.
    Agreed. I also think it's a proper cinema film - the scale of the cinematography and sound really works in a big screen environment. Liked it a lot.
    edited August 2022
    @icbm @Snap ; ;    -   only just seen your comments,  -  Id agree,  it would have been much better having "some grasp" of what the fook was going on, prior to watching it - where we had to go back/forward about 10 times just to "re cap" and get the framework of it down.  

having said that - not sure Id watch it again 
  • Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 133
    Everything Everywhere All At Once.

Absolutely bananas. Some poignant moments, some laugh out loud moments, and some action scenes that have to be seen to be believed. 

As a 'multiverse' movie it puts Dr Strange 2 to shame but it's definitely not a movie to have on in the background. There's a lot happening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5428
    @bertie Not guilty guv, I've never done the Dune thing. I think you were shooting for @Snap ?
  • SimonhSimonh Frets: 1360
    Bungle1 said:

Absolutely bananas. Some poignant moments, some laugh out loud moments, and some action scenes that have to be seen to be believed. 

As a 'multiverse' movie it puts Dr Strange 2 to shame but it's definitely not a movie to have on in the background. There's a lot happening.
    watched this last night and i think you have nailed it.
    Snags said:
    @bertie Not guilty guv, I've never done the Dune thing. I think you were shooting for @Snap ?
    LOL yes mate -  pressed "enter"  without checking the ; name  

guilty as charged
  • Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 133
    Simonh said:
    Bungle1 said:

watched this last night and i think you have nailed it.
    The addition of having to do something very random to sync up with the other multiverse was inspired.

As soon as I saw the 'awards' on Jamie Lee Curtis desk I thought they looked suspicious (trying not to spoil for anyone reading). The action scene where they came 'into play' was just off the charts insanity. I've never seen anything like 'that'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72876
    bertie said:
    @icbm @Snap ; ;    -   only just seen your comments,  -  Id agree,  it would have been much better having "some grasp" of what the fook was going on, prior to watching it - where we had to go back/forward about 10 times just to "re cap" and get the framework of it down.  

If you're a 'book person', definitely read the book, especially before trying again. It won't spoil the book having seen the film now, because there's much more detail and nuance in the book. The film only covers the first half of the first book too. 

I really must re-read the whole lot, actually - I haven't since I was a teenager, and only got as far as the end of the fourth book. (There are six, or were last time I checked!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6130
    Vaterland starring Rutger Hauer and a young Miranda Richardson. I don’t usually go for ‘what if’ movies but this caught me up in its tale very quickly. Won’t say anything about it ‘cos that might spoil the story. It’s on YouTube and it’s free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_beXCAy6rk&t=1s
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23477
    edited August 2022
    ICBM said:
    bertie said:
    @icbm @Snap ;; ;    -   only just seen your comments,  -  Id agree,  it would have been much better having "some grasp" of what the fook was going on, prior to watching it - where we had to go back/forward about 10 times just to "re cap" and get the framework of it down.  

If you're a 'book person', definitely read the book, especially before trying again. It won't spoil the book having seen the film now, because there's much more detail and nuance in the book. The film only covers the first half of the first book too. 

I really must re-read the whole lot, actually - I haven't since I was a teenager, and only got as far as the end of the fourth book. (There are six, or were last time I checked!)
    Me too, I read them in my teens but only got as far as the fourth book, God Emperor of Dune.  As I recall, each book was less good than the last and I didn't want to read the other two.  Frank Herbert's son Brian wrote some additional prequels/sequels but I haven't read any of them either.

A few years back I bought the first four books again in paperback - in the 1970s New English Library editions, which was crucial because that's how I remember them.  I'll read them again sometime.

Just completed my collection of New English Library edition Dune books   rdune
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2233
    Killing Fields. 

Truly amazing film. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72876
    edited August 2022
    Philly_Q said:

Me too, I read them in my teens but only got as far as the fourth book, God Emperor of Dune.  As I recall, each book was less good than the last and I didn't want to read the other two.  Frank Herbert's son Brian wrote some additional prequels/sequels but I haven't read any of them either.

A few years back I bought the first four books again in paperback - in the 1970s editions, which was crucial because that's how I remember them.  I'll read them again sometime.
    Ha! Likewise .

I actually thought Children Of Dune was good, God Emperor wasn't too bad but seemed to almost close the story, so I left it there. I'd quite like to get them again in the same 70s paperbacks too - it has to be the same ones (I can see the pic now - yes, those ones!), there are some truly shockingly awful editions. There's also a modern box set of the six with decent covers, but it's expensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4349
    Hustle

Adam Sandler as a veteran basketball scout, given his dream job as an assistant coach. Then asked to go out on the road one last time to find ‘the one’. 

Recommended by a mate. It was entertaining, and Adam Sandler is good in it, but it’s really cheesy. 

It gets over 9/10 on Rotten Tomatoes, which is normally quite critical, so maybe it’s just me. 

6/10

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24747
    JezWynd said:
    Vaterland starring Rutger Hauer and a young Miranda Richardson. I don’t usually go for ‘what if’ movies but this caught me up in its tale very quickly. Won’t say anything about it ‘cos that might spoil the story. It’s on YouTube and it’s free!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_beXCAy6rk&t=1s
    I saw that when it came out.

Very good, and plausible!