What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    edited August 2022
    Moonfall. (Prime). I wish I’d read Vim’s review first before I watched it to really appreciate the sheer and utter crapness of this film. It is indeed the biggest pile of steaming poo you’re ever likely to see but you can’t take your eyes off this car crash. It’s got John Bradley (the guy who plays Sam Tarley in Game of Thrones) in a leading part, which mostly consists of him either saying “mum” or “shit!!” I honestly don’t know how he kept a straight face, there must be mountains of out takes. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuego said:
    Moonfall. It's difficult to put into words just how bad this film is. You quickly realise as you watch it that's it's gonna suck bad, you keep watching not because you think it's gonna get better, but to see just how bad it can get, and in this is does not disappoint.
    I firmly believe that future generations will expend significant resources into researching the crapness of this film, future religions will be based around it's utter direness, schisms will be made and holy wars will be fought over the minutiae of it's ineffable shiteness. 

10/10, you really have to watch this film. If only to say "I was there, the day it was unleashed upon an unsuspecting world". 
    Indeed!

i watched it just to see if it could possibly be as bad as my friend told me it was, and I wasn’t disappointed!

I enjoy watching it, but certainly not because it was any good.

• dhjdhj Frets: 21
    Prima Facie, streamed live at our local cinema from the National Theatre. Jodie Comer on her own. Extraordinary acting. Plot goes a bit ranty in places. Plot 7/10, Acting 10/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited August 2022
    Mrs Bert found two Bruce Willis "action" films for yesterday afternoony watching

the first  -    A Day to Die                     we  lasted all of 4 minutes,  complete testosterone fuelled typical US drivel with awful sound  incidental music constantly louder than the dialogue (which may have actually been a plus point)  0/10

the second,  Midnight in the Switchgrass -  was actually  OK   -  Brucey very much not the lead character, really quite watchable even with well used and re-worked cliched plot. 

7/10
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1420
    edited August 2022
    Lost City.

Let see if we can hit box office gold if we mix Romancing the Stone, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Jimanji, Lost (Tv show) and Jurassic Park with a half assed "will this do" script.

and...doubtless..there will be a sequel...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • dhj said:
    Prima Facie, streamed live at our local cinema from the National Theatre. Jodie Comer on her own. Extraordinary acting. Plot goes a bit ranty in places. Plot 7/10, Acting 10/10

Saw this a few weeks ago. It was great, absolutely compelling with a stunning performance from Comer, right up in until the final 10 mins when it went into full-on preach mode and suddenly turned into a bit if a 6th-form college lecture. Really jarred with the whole previous 90mins and spoiled it a bit.

No doubt it's a very important message to the play, but suddenly having it all explained like an infomercial in the final scene didn't feel like the right way to go about it IMO.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3697
    'New Voices in an Old Flower.'  Doc about modern Ethiopian music. Free with free trial of Filmbox via Prime. Interesting glimpse into another culture. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3697
    Yessongs has just come to Netflix. A reminder of just how good they could be at the peak of their powers. Howe, especially. 
  • Full Metal Alchemist The Revenge of Scar, really good, part of a great universe, and the second live action adaptation of the manga and anime, the first being Full Metal Alchemist.  I highly recommend watching the the two anime series first and two feature length anime movies, Full Metal Alchemist - 5 seasons, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood, Fullmetal Alchemist the Movie: Conqueror of Shamballa. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos, Full Metal Alchemist and finally Full Metal Alchemist The Revenge of Scar.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4633
    edited August 2022
    First Blood was on TV last night and I watched it with my ten year old daughter.

I hope you don't mind lots of rats : )

Wonderful film. Not dated at all. Classic scenes of man with a huge machine gun running around a small town America.

His legs were all over me!!

Ten bloods out of ten
  • DesVegas said:
    First Blood was on TV last night and I watched it with my ten year old daughter.

I hope you don't mind lots of rats : )

Wonderful film. Not dated at all. Classic scenes of man with a huge machine gun running around a small town America.

His legs were all over me!!

Ten bloods out of ten

I strongly advise you to read the book, it's brilliant, and extremely political, but from both perspectives, not just the spat on vet returned from Nam struggling to reintergrate into society and life as a civlian.
  • Started watching Indian films on Netflix (I believe these are Tollywood films, not Bollywood), and finding them very entertaining.

RRR: set in the last days of Empire, two friends seek revenge etc. 
    Bahubali: set in ancient India, a totally bonkers film, over the top fx and huge set pieces... but so entertaining. This was the most expensive Indian film ever.... only to be topped by the sequel, which I will watch next. 

Once you get used to the style, over-the-top acting, some cheesy romance, super hero strength powers and unrealistic action (and accept there will always be some musical set pieces, which I tend to skip through, though there are only a couple in these films... one dance/battle scene in RRR is incredible though), these two films are fantastically entertaining, a feast for the senses. Some of the best action set pieces I've ever seen. Such a breath of fresh air, something so different; I'd never thought of watching an Indian film before, now open to more. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    VimFuego said:
    Moonfall. It's difficult to put into words just how bad this film is. You quickly realise as you watch it that's it's gonna suck bad, you keep watching not because you think it's gonna get better, but to see just how bad it can get, and in this is does not disappoint.
    I firmly believe that future generations will expend significant resources into researching the crapness of this film, future religions will be based around it's utter direness, schisms will be made and holy wars will be fought over the minutiae of it's ineffable shiteness. 

10/10, you really have to watch this film. If only to say "I was there, the day it was unleashed upon an unsuspecting world". 
    Indeed!

i watched it just to see if it could possibly be as bad as my friend told me it was, and I wasn’t disappointed!

I enjoy watching it, but certainly not because it was any good.
    You definitely can't accuse it of being boring. Absolutely mad movie, so bad its good. I really enjoyed it to be fair!!
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3159
    This Beautiful Fantastic (iPlayer)

Like a Brit version of Amelie, so if you liked that then you'll probably like this. It's a slow burner, which I like, and I was interested in the story of the mc, but not so much the others. Well acted, but, mc aside I felt the casting could've been better. 

I actually liked it enough to watch again 8/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1949
    Black Site
    Did you see the film Interceptor that was out a few months back? You don’t need to see this then. Lucky you.
    it is the same film, plucky female officer gets the job done in an isolated location when the baddies take over.
    in this case a CIA black site in the desert, in Interceptor an offshore missile platform.
    and that really is the only important difference. 2/10 for both.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    Day of the Jackal. On TCM . Ok it’s pretty dated, the ease of which Edward Fox gets access to things like a false passport seems ludicrous now but it was probably realistic back when the book was written. He wouldn’t have got 50 yards without being spotted nowadays. It’s still a rattling good story though and stands up well. Features loads, and I mean loads! of well known British actors including Derek Jacobi who looks about 16. The only odd thing is the lack of music in the soundtrack… lots of very quiet moments. 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1949
    edited August 2022
    Avoid Jackal with Bruce Willis. Does not work at all.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    boogieman said:

The only odd thing is the lack of music in the soundtrack… lots of very quiet moments. 
    It's quite interesting to hear films with no musical soundtrack - there are more than you might expect at first - it makes the ambient sound seem to stand out in many of them, and I really like that. It really works for some, although I still like a lot of films which do have continuous soundtracks as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7122
    edited August 2022 tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:
    Buba - Netflix

A German black comedy that's based around a small time crook who firmly believes any good fortune to him will negatively affect his brother, who is his only surviving family member. Things heat up when they join the local fake Albanian mafia.

Great film, really offbeat and different 8/10 
    Gave this a go but bailed before they joined the Albanians
  • The Lockout
    Escape from New York meets Die Hard with Guy Pierce. The cgi at the beginning is hilariously shit but it’s mildly enjoyable. Joe Gilgum looks like he had a lot of fun playing the bad guy. 

Moonfall
    Didn’t make it to the end. So, so bad. 

Maverick
    Wasn’t too bothered but the missus bought it on Prime. Bloody brilliant. Captured the atmosphere of the original perfectly.