What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot
1639640641642643645»

Comments

• DontgiveupyourdayjobDontgiveupyourdayjob Frets: 3967
    edited June 23
    The Dead Don't Hurt

A Western written by, directed by and starring Viggo Mortenson. He even wrote the music, the talented git!

Lovely, soulful film. Really enjoyed it. Westerns can often be overly macho, violent action filled, grizzly affairs, and title of the film kinda led me to think this would be a bit like that. Title didn't really suit the film though as it's actually a really thoughtful, heartbreaking and elegiac sort of movie. Mortenson was good of course, but the star performance was actually Vicky Krieps IMO.

8.5/10

The Bikeriders 

Seems to have been generally well reviewed, and there's a good cast so I had high hopes. Sadly it all just fell a bit flat for me. Didn't feel there was enough depth to the two main characters, not enough narrative drive to it, and actually didn't think the acting was all that great.

Comer's accent was grating (which is odd, as she's normally fantastic) and Tom Hardy just did his usual 'grunting and mumbling with a silly voice from the back of his throat, frowning, and staring vacantly into the distance' performance that he seems to do every time these days.

On the plus side, the soundtrack was great!

5/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    edited June 24 tFB Trader
    Barbie (2023) Amazon Prime

Amusing throughout 7/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23596
    The King's Man (Disney+)

I saw a bit of the first Kingsman film the other day, which reminded me that I'd never watched the prequel. 

It's a bit of a strange one, this.  It's got the same flashy, OTT, action-packed style as the previous two films, but lacks most of the humour... in fact it gets downright grim at times.  Overall, a bit of a mess but with lots of very good bits.  It's certainly better than the second film... a complete lack of Elton John helps.
  • Ozzie744Ozzie744 Frets: 59
    edited June 24
    I watched Disney's Jungle Cruise this weekend. It came off to me as a combination of the "Pirates" movies, the "Jumanji" movies, the "Raiders of the Lost Ark" franchise & The African Queen all trying to be rolled up into one.
    I thought Emily Blunt was good, but the story just seemed bogged down and at least 60 minutes longer than it needed to be.
    A few funny lines and puns and some decent adventure type action, but on a whole I'd just go 5/10.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7125
    tFB Trader
    The End We Start From (2023)  Netflix

Pretty true to the book (which I read just after it was published) in that it's equally as dull and miserable 

3/10

• TimcitoTimcito Frets: 905
    edited June 26
    Flavia the Heretic. Hoo boy ... This was something of a cult 'nunsploitation' film that I found in my wife's collection. I'd heard of it - the story of a feminist nun around the year 1400 in Italy who rebels against the violence and injustice of Christian patriarchy and becomes the mistress of one of the invading Turkish warriors, only to be recaptured by the Christians and tortured to death.

Although much of the film was not violent, there were one or two scenes that were, the last of which leaves a particularly unpleasant taste. At the end of the film, Flavia, the rebel nun, is tied up against a tree for her sins, and we see the first moments of her being flayed alive. Little was shown, and what actually appalled me was not the scene so much as the thought that this dreadful punishment was performed throughout the ancient world and in medieval Christian Europe. It defies all sense of decency and humanity to think that anyone could inflict such an execrable act on any living thing. Utterly staggering that these people thought they were beloved by their prickly god and would be rewarded by him n some sugar-candy-mountain heaven when they died. Unbelievable. I feel vaguely ashamed even to belong to the same species ... 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8124
    Sporky said:
    Venom.

Bad, even for Marvel. Nothing for the first hour and a half, then it gets worse. 

1.1 out of 4.7
    I’d give it 7/10. 
    It’s fun, Tom Hardy is great, good cast, decent Marvel origin story. 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3737
    Timcito said:
    Flavia the Heretic. Hoo boy ... This was something of a cult 'nunsploitation' film that I found in my wife's collection. I'd heard of it - the story of a feminist nun around the year 1400 in Italy who rebels against the violence and injustice of Christian patriarchy and becomes the mistress of one of the invading Turkish warriors, only to be recaptured by the Christians and tortured to death.

Although much of the film was not violent, there were one or two scenes that were, the last of which leaves a particularly unpleasant taste. At the end of the film, Flavia, the rebel nun, is tied up against a tree for her sins, and we see the first moments of her being flayed alive. Little was shown, and what actually appalled me was not the scene so much as the thought that this dreadful punishment was performed throughout the ancient world and in medieval Christian Europe. It defies all sense of decency and humanity to think that anyone could inflict such an execrable act on any living thing. Utterly staggering that these people thought they were beloved by their prickly god and would be rewarded by him n some sugar-candy-mountain heaven when they died. Unbelievable. I feel vaguely ashamed even to belong to the same species ... 
    on the watchlist…. 
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 905
    Timcito said:

on the watchlist…. 
    I'll be interested to see your reaction. It was made in 1974. I was around 15 at the time, and I remember the film was reviewed in pictures in the foreign section (it's an Italian-French production) of a magazine I used to get called Films and Filming. The film seemed wildly extreme, with full frontal nudity, and scary, with a shot of Flavia as she was being led to the tree at the end.
  • cenobitehellcenobitehell Frets: 1
    edited June 26
    Philly_Q said:
    @Offset the weird thing is, I didn't find it boring.  I get very bored watching bad horror movies where it's five twentysomethings in a van in the mountains/wilderness/desert with no cellphone reception, because I've seen that 500 times. 

In this one, for the first 20 minutes it looked like they were sort-of trying to make a familiar post-apocalyptic film with a military/scientific compound, a zombie outbreak etc... but then after that it went so completely random that I was quite fascinated.  Did you get as far as...
    ...the puppet show, the clown in the woods, the musical guy, the spaceship and the guy building a DIY shed to hide from the zombies?  And the closing credits, where they list all the sound-effects samples they used for farts, barking dogs, "arm being ripped off", etc.  Even the subtitles made me laugh a couple of times, I think they must have done their own.
    Philly_Q said:
    Attack Of The Flatulating Dead (Amazon Prime)

It's certainly not "so bad it's good".  It's so bad it's.... oddly fascinating.  Most of the film is two blokes, (separately) wandering around scavenging for food and water.  This is supposedly in the wake of a zombie outbreak caused by a meteorite which fell to Earth during World War 2.  Are there actually any zombies, you ask?  Well yes, maybe half a dozen in total, who are seen wandering around occasionally.  None of them really do anything, other than farting.
    haha thank you ! im the guy who threw this film together, im glad you enjoyed the subtitle farts the most, to be fair, they were the most enjoyable part to make, the rest was realy just cobbled together using bits of abandoned older projects (as you could probably tell from watching it).. even if people dislike the film, i am just grateful they took time to try to watch it . it means a lot. and thanks to everyone for discussing it! don't worry, my other work is much much better haha

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cenobitehellcenobitehell Frets: 1
    edited June 26

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23596
    @cenobitehell crikey, welcome to the forum!  Are you into guitars and all the other shite we discuss on here, or were you led by the mentions of Attack of the Flatulating Dead?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12513
    Philly_Q said:
    @Offset the weird thing is, I didn't find it boring.  I get very bored watching bad horror movies where it's five twentysomethings in a van in the mountains/wilderness/desert with no cellphone reception, because I've seen that 500 times. 

In this one, for the first 20 minutes it looked like they were sort-of trying to make a familiar post-apocalyptic film with a military/scientific compound, a zombie outbreak etc... but then after that it went so completely random that I was quite fascinated.  Did you get as far as...
    ...the puppet show, the clown in the woods, the musical guy, the spaceship and the guy building a DIY shed to hide from the zombies?  And the closing credits, where they list all the sound-effects samples they used for farts, barking dogs, "arm being ripped off", etc.  Even the subtitles made me laugh a couple of times, I think they must have done their own.
    Philly_Q said:
    Attack Of The Flatulating Dead (Amazon Prime)

It's certainly not "so bad it's good".  It's so bad it's.... oddly fascinating.  Most of the film is two blokes, (separately) wandering around scavenging for food and water.  This is supposedly in the wake of a zombie outbreak caused by a meteorite which fell to Earth during World War 2.  Are there actually any zombies, you ask?  Well yes, maybe half a dozen in total, who are seen wandering around occasionally.  None of them really do anything, other than farting.
    haha thank you ! im the guy who threw this film together, im glad you enjoyed the subtitle farts the most, to be fair, they were the most enjoyable part to make, the rest was realy just cobbled together using bits of abandoned older projects (as you could probably tell from watching it).. even if people dislike the film, i am just grateful they took time to try to watch it . it means a lot. and thanks to everyone for discussing it! don't worry, my other work is much much better haha

Well having given your film minus a gazillion out of ten, I will now award your courage in fessing up to your creation 10/10 :-)

I feel we need pointing in the direction of your other work, O Pinheaded One.