What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    The Predator. Film 4. Allegedly an update on the original…. except it’s not. The original had some tension, originality and took a while to get to the reveal of the alien. This version is just nonsensical, pointlessly sweary and goes for the gross out with lots of graphic violence. 5/10. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1422
    Edge of Tomorrow: Live Die Repeat

Seen this one before not long after it was released and again time travel stuff, so I'm hooked in.  I couldn't remember the details so it was like a fresh watch.

I was surprised by how many plot holes there are.  Convenient nonsense that seems to make it more entertaining but doesn't if you think about it for a single second.

The beach scene completely takes any kind of randomness out of the equation and things unfold EXACTLY as before every time.  As though the only influence he can have is to work out what his optimal path is through the scene.  Timings of things are all exactly the same no matter what he does.  It would have been way more interesting to have entirely different paths that sprout from the smallest changes and he realises that tiny actions can have huge consequences.

And then once they realise it's purely a case of survival whilst everyone else dies so they can go to Germany, why do they even go to the beach?!

5/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1118
    Top Gun Maverick - 6.5/10

The plot is nonsense, and it's too cheesy in places.  First ten minutes or so completely wasted on scenes irrelevant to the main story in my opinion. That time could have been spent making us care a bit more about the new young characters, and if they live or die or not. Unfortunately you only end up caring about Goose's son. Quite a few things bugged me about it to be honest starting with the opening titles. The elite flying school is known as 'top gun'. Not as 'top gun ... maverick'. That just doesn't make sense. Opening titles not as good as it could have been, and music was disappointing. Not as good as the original in my opinion, but it's been a long time since I watched that. It was alright I suppose overall. A bit star wars at the end. :s 

• Thor: Love and Thunder 0/10 

Utterly irredeemably awful. Comfortably the worst MCU content. 

I like Marvel (been a fan for thirty years). I like the MCU. I did not like this, because its utter wank. Awful effects, awful writing, awful plotting. Avoid at all costs. 

• ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Thor: Love and Thunder 0/10 

I like Marvel (been a fan for thirty years). I like the MCU. I did not like this, because its utter wank. Awful effects, awful writing, awful plotting. Avoid at all costs. 

Other than that, was it ok?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Shrews said:
    Thor: Love and Thunder 0/10 

Other than that, was it ok?
    No.

Not even for a joke. It was that bad. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7576
    edited September 2022
    Jaws (the original one) , remastered and in 3D st my local cinema 

10/10 - it was already one of my favourite films but watching it again in a cinema with lots of younger people who I’m guessing hadn’t seen it before was great. I can’t think of many films with so many great performances , Robert Shaw of course steals it but even the smaller roles like the town mayor and Alex Kintners mum are superb.

i wonder how many of the younger viewers will think twice before sea swimming out of their depth like I still do 40 years after first watching it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Starter for Ten.

iplayer

British romcom vaguely about University Challenge. I have watched it before and like it in parts, although more as an aide mémoire for my time as a student in the 80s as much as anything else. James Corden is in it which is something I hadn’t remembered although, thankfully, very small part. 

The Girl in the Spiders Web

Film 4

I didn’t know this existed. Unsuccessful follow up to the English language remake of Dragon Tattoo. It’s a bit too Bourne maybe as the complexities of the earlier stories are pushed aside. If you like a moody thriller with a bit of clunky CGI this’ll be your thing. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Thor: Love and Thunder 0/10 

I also tried to watch this, however I gave up half way through as sleep was a much better use of my time.

The latest batch of Marvel's have been so hit and miss. Arguably the TV shows have been more entertaining than the films, Spiderman aside.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6160
    Haven’t watched a movie in ages, then saw two yesterday. 

Spider-Man Into the Spider-Verse - animated Spider-Man adventure, the lass put it on and I was quite pulled in by it. Really enjoyed it, didn’t think I would but it was very good, probably the best Spider-Man movie I’ve seen - knocks spots off recent releases for sure. 

Think it’s on Disney +

Lightyear - don’t think it needs an introduction. Wasn’t amazing but wasn’t awful. Decent story with some subtle nods back to the Toy Story films but typically Disney in its execution. 

Not as funny as I thought it would be which was a shame, but that said I don’t think they were trying to make it funny. 

Felt like it went on a bit too long as well. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• @haych totally agree on Spider-Verse.

I would genuinely make an argument that it's the best Marvel cinematic. I'm so pleased I saw it in the cinema, the animation style looked so good on a big screen. 
  • Thos: Love & Thunder.

A very odd film. Not as bad as Thor 2, but also not good. Very disjointed like a dozen scripts had been thrown in a blender. Quite disappointing after the fun of Ragnarok.

There were a couple of excellent scenes that really stood out, but it just confirmed the rest was a mess. Christian Bale was great, and even the basic premise was good, but the script itself was awful.

3/10.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• goldtop said:
    Rewatched A Girl Walks Alone at Night - Iranian vampire movie. Tiny cast, low budget, and just plain weird. Brilliant - nothing like it. 9/10
    Always excellent recommendations @goldtop ;

• Crimes of the Future - as an ex surgeon and Cronenberg fan i loved it ! Organ extraction as performance art

See how they Run. Quite good but I like anything with Sam Rockwell and Saoirse Ronan is good.   
  • BtrcuBtrcu Frets: 99
    edited September 2022
    Delete - quoted wrong post
    Philly_Q said:
    Bungle1 said:
    For most of my life, horror was my favourite genre, but in the last few years I find some horror movies to have a very unsettling tone to them. I hardly watch any horror movies now for this reason.

Maybe its just age and changing taste and I know an 'unsettling tone' is sort of the point of a horror movie, but I mean at a deeper level, even outside of specific scenes, some of these horror movies nowadays just have a bad vibe to them. 

Anyone else found this?
    I would say that an unsettling tone is a good thing in a horror movie.  In fact one of the biggest problems with modern horror movies is that they're sorely lacking in creepy, disturbing - unsettling - atmosphere.  Most are just made to a standard formula so you sit there just ticking off the cliches.  If they're scary at all, it's usually just a cheap jump scare that you can't help reacting to.

I love the horror genre and I'll watch any old rubbish - they're usually not boring, even when they're bad - but it's been a very long time since I've seen a really good new horror movie.

But I may be missing your point, I'd be interested if you could give any examples.  There can be things in films which strike a nerve for one viewer but leave another completely unmoved.
    There are three proper horror/psychological films (not just over the top stuff like Saw) that have stayed with me since I watched them:

* Bone Tomahawk - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2494362/

and each has a good story overall and particularly memorable scenes.
    The Trial - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057427/ (Pretty good stab at one of Kafka's classics) 
    Triangle - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1187064/ (Enjoyed this more than I thought I would. Decent storyline)
    Free Fire - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158096/ (Have watched this a few times, just love the absurdity of it all, and is very funny).
    The Platform - https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8228288/ (Spanish Sci-Fi/Horror). Shades of Cube about it but nicely done and effective in its own right.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12882
    Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I remember seeing this when it came out and thinking it was incredible. Sadly it’s very dated looking nowadays. The FX are pretty crap and there’s an awful lot of annoying shouting when Dreyfus is going nuts at home. The ending is very schmaltzy too. It was an ok film for a Sunday afternoon with nothing better to do. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2502

I Came By
    Netflix movie 2022

A graffiti artist targets the homes of the wealthy elite but there are appalling shocks in store as he targets a wealthy judge, when he discovers a horrifying secret that puts him and his close ones if danger. Hugh Bonneville is remarkably good as the mysterious and pathological judge.  It clearly wants to be a Hitchcockian tense shocker, but it's not up there. I watched it will my wife. It's a bit disjointed at times,  and it is a a tad clunky with it's efforts to portray disaffected youth, but a skinny and tanned (yes) Hugh really pulls it out of the bag as a charming, damaged psycho. Well played by him. Ok from everyone else.
    Worth a watch if you like a thriller.

6/10  

• Tango & Cash (on now). 

Classic American mullet, good cop, bad cop drama. Quite cheesy but that's the 80's for ya. 

Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom