What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• RabsRabs Frets: 2627
    edited September 2022 tFB Trader
    1917 (2019)  Sam Mendes
    Wow what a film. Its the second time I have seen it and I was not aware of how it was shot the first time. Which is two continuous shots throughout the almost 2h film.. Meaning, no fades, cuts, changing camera angles or anything. Just one long continuous shot for an hour and then a second one. Just incredible to think how that was made. The planning must have taken an age.

The film itself is a WW1 film about two soldiers who are tasked with taking a message to the front line while going through some German held territory.. As a war film in itself its pretty good, as hard hitting as Saving Private Ryan or any of those types of films.. When you take the above in to consideration it puts the film in the amazing bracket..

9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Watched Noah on the way over to Crete
    would not recommend, overly long, drawn out and a bit depressing 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Elvis.

Baz Luhrman film about a young man in the 50’s who became a successful singer.

Actually, it’s as much about ‘Colonel’ ‘Tom Parker’ as it is about Elvis, but then you could say the same about Elvis’ career.

Enjoyed it, the guy playing Elvis did a good job (especially the later years) but it all seemed a but lacking. 
    7/10

• "Nope" 2022.

Jordan Peele's new film. 
    Neo-western with aliens involved. 

I couldn't decide within first 30mins whether I love it or dislike it...  I think I eventually "liked" it. I liked it for being different, quirky and fairly interesting, however acting and some dialogue in script were mediocre. 

I'd recommend for pure entertainment but will I come back to rewatch? 

Nope.
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2388

Rogue Agent
    2022 Netflix

True story movie of a charming man who reveals to multiple others he is an MI5 agent and recruits them to work for him "under cover" and carry out tasks to his orders in order to qualify as officers.

The movie doesn't reveal its hand and so the less you know about the facts the better to enjoy the story. Pacey at first around an IRA cell focus it shifts decades and centralises around his romance with a successful cynical litigation lawyer who falls for his charms despite her better instincts.

James Norton and Gemma Arterton star. Nicely played central performances, a touch unevenly paced, it's a good fascinating yarn. 

7/10

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    rze99 said:

Rogue Agent
    2022 Netflix

True story movie of a charming man who reveals to multiple others he is an MI5 agent and recruits them to work for him "under cover" and carry out tasks to his orders in order to qualify as officers.

The movie doesn't reveal its hand and so the less you know about the facts the better to enjoy the story. Pacey at first around an IRA cell focus it shifts decades and centralises around his romance with a successful cynical litigation lawyer who falls for his charms despite her better instincts.

James Norton and Gemma Arterton star. Nicely played central performances, a touch unevenly paced, it's a good fascinating yarn. 

7/10

Good film we enjoyed it,  not at all what we expected
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1337
    Everything everywhere all at once.

I knew it was about multiverse, and I'm a sucker for stuff like that to be honest, but that's all I knew.  It has some funny concepts and some nice VFX.  Good characters, great cast too.  This does not stop it feeling overly Kung Fu and overly lengthy.

I think 45 minutes could easily be stripped away and it would be better for it.

There isn't a great character development for the "baddy" and you do kind of feel like nothing matters all that much, there's no desperate peril.  It doesn't quite get the main concept across solidly enough to pile all of the other stuff on top, as amusing as some of it is.

There's too much fighting, it feels a bit Kung Fu Hustle, almost.  I love this stuff but felt it got in the way rather than progressing the plot.

I wouldn't bother watching again, but if you have 2hrs10mins to spare and fancy something simultaneously head-scratching and dumb, then this could be for you.

5/10
    paulnb57 said:
    rze99 said:

Rogue Agent
    2022 Netflix

7/10

Good film we enjoyed it,  not at all what we expected
    He's still wrong 'un...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/03/robert-hendy-freegard-netflix-ultimate-conman-arrested-in-belgium-while-on-the-run

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3102
    Top Gun Maverick
    Load of a old pony, but good old fashioned entertainment, with great visuals

8/10
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15864
    Rabs said:
    1917 (2019)  Sam Mendes
    Wow what a film. Its the second time I have seen it and I was not aware of how it was shot the first time. Which is two continuous shots throughout the almost 2h film.. Meaning, no fades, cuts, changing camera angles or anything. Just one long continuous shot for an hour and then a second one. Just incredible to think how that was made. The planning must have taken an age.

The film itself is a WW1 film about two soldiers who are tasked with taking a message to the front line while going through some German held territory.. As a war film in itself its pretty good, as hard hitting as Saving Private Ryan or any of those types of films.. When you take the above in to consideration it puts the film in the amazing bracket..

9/10
    excellent film, I didn't know that was how it was shot. Gives the film a real immediacy. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1337
    VimFuego said:
    Rabs said:
    1917 (2019)  Sam Mendes

9/10
    excellent film, I didn't know that was how it was shot. Gives the film a real immediacy. 
    There are a lot of hidden cuts.  I remember the number being at least 30 or so.  Brilliant nonetheless.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2627
    tFB Trader
    sinbaadi said:
    VimFuego said:
    Rabs said:
    1917 (2019)  Sam Mendes

9/10
    There are a lot of hidden cuts.  I remember the number being at least 30 or so.  Brilliant nonetheless.
    Really.. I am sure I remember reading or hearing about it.. I was watching for them so it really is well done. Theres a few times the camera pans around.. I bet its done then. As you say, still amazing though.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15864
    Event Horizon. Saw this years and years ago, probably not long after if 1st came out and I recall it not gripping me. It's a great premise, with a great cast and a decent budget, but there's something about the film I just don't like. I think maybe the reveal is too quick, it needs to be slower, more drawn out. Would possibly be better served as a series rather than a film, then they can take their time, build up the characters and the story.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Top Gun Maverick…. Not magnificent and the main mission element all went off too easily for me.  7/10.

Lawless.. Got a great cast. Tells the story of illegal moonshine and corrupt cops in rural Virginia.  8/10  
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12512
    Elvis.

Baz Luhrman film about a young man in the 50’s who became a successful singer.

Actually, it’s as much about ‘Colonel’ ‘Tom Parker’ as it is about Elvis, but then you could say the same about Elvis’ career.

Enjoyed it, the guy playing Elvis did a good job (especially the later years) but it all seemed a but lacking. 
    7/10
    Just watched this too and I agree. The lead actor is superb, even though I struggled to make out what he was saying sometimes, and Tom Hanks (almost unrecognisable) plays a great part. It’s almost too stylised in the way it’s filmed, but that’s often what you get from a Baz Luhrman film. It’s a good film and very cleverly done but I dunno, it just left me feeling a bit disappointed overall. 
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 969
    edited September 2022
    Licorice Pizza (2021) 9/10

This was a real surprise and one of the best films I've seen for quite a while. I really loved it and I can see it becoming a favourite.
    It's quite a quirky story - set in 1973, it's more a series of set pieces around the relationship between two people rather than a typical narrative/plot but the imagery is very period stylised and the film looks great throughout.
    The two lead actors (one of who is Alana Haim of the band Haim) are making their debut but both are excellent. There are some superb OTT cameo roles including a terrific sequence involving Senn Penn and Tom Waits, and another from an unhinged Bradley Cooper.

I found it hugely enjoyable and great fun. I have no idea why it's called Licorice Pizza but that fits in with the apparent randomness that's part of the charm of this film.
  • Day Shift - Netflix   -  Vampire comedy action nonsense . Fight scenes are completely over the top but enjoyable none the less . Think John Wick with Vampires. 7/10

Me Time - Netflix   - Kevin Hart and Mark Wahlberg comedy . The worst film I've seen this year and that is not a particularly high bar (see above) 1/10 . 
    edited September 2022

THE GHOST WRITER

2010 Netflix

Ghostwriter (Ewan McGregor) agrees to finish the memoirs of former Prime Minister Adam Lang (Pierce Brosnan in what is basically a Tony Blair role). He gets sent to Adam's super secure home on an island and while working there begins to uncover evidence that ensnares him in danger as he uncovers mysterious elements of Lang's past and present. Gradually builds up tension and well played by all.

Recommended

7/10

• sinbaadi said:
    Halfway through rematching "Moneyball".

There's something about US sports movies (of which there are hundreds) that certainly the UK can't get anywhere close to. 

Brad Pitt and a brilliant supporting cast in a classic underdog situation that I remember being brilliant, but it's now 11 years old and I can't remember exactly what happens, which is great!

I watched that, must scribble it in for a re watch when I get settled after moving house 
  • The Power of The Dog- rave reviews, so must be me.
    All the actors were good, but the stuff they were acting seemed like some 1970's arthouse inner torment fest.
    Complete with obligatory animal gouging scenes, to up the guignol level.
    Music by Johnny Greenwood apparently, equally awful.