What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Thor: Love and Thunder 0/10 

Utterly irredeemably awful. Comfortably the worst MCU content. 

I like Marvel (been a fan for thirty years). I like the MCU. I did not like this, because its utter wank. Awful effects, awful writing, awful plotting. Avoid at all costs. 

@UnclePsychosis ,are you sure?  I can it really be worse than Wandavision?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

I like Marvel (been a fan for thirty years). I like the MCU. I did not like this, because its utter wank. Awful effects, awful writing, awful plotting. Avoid at all costs. 

100%. I liked Wandavision. It was fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    Split Second (1992)

A strangely enjoyable trashy B-grade sci-fi horror that had me laughing out loud. 

In the opening scene, Harley Stone (Rutger Hauer) bursts into an S&M club and thrusts his badge in the face of a barking guard dog, "Police, dickhead" 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3742
    edited September 2022
    Moonfall

Absolute total crap… It is so utterly bad that you can’t peel your eyes away from seeing what will happen next in this total mess….  it is great!   

Unscorable must see garbage

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2397

QE2 funeral Bank holiday Monday and I'm on me tod. Royalist Neighbours wouldn't appreciate me cranking up the amps so,  if the weather is a bit crap, I'll likely want to watch a movie.

Make me a recommendation, please!

I Like  - Thriller, suspense, spy, drama, comedy, intrigue, mystery, chillers, sometimes horror if well done but not slash and gore.

I don't like - CGI, Marvel, Superheroes, musicals, romance 

cheers

R

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99 said:

QE2 funeral Bank holiday Monday and I'm on me tod. Royalist Neighbours wouldn't appreciate me cranking up the amps so,  if the weather is a bit crap, I'll likely want to watch a movie.

I Like  - Thriller, suspense, spy, drama, comedy, intrigue, mystery, chillers, sometimes horror if well done but not slash and gore.

cheers

R

Spy with Sasha Baron Cohen
    Argo
    Bridge Of Spies

100%. I liked Wandavision. It was fun. 
    Wow!!! That Thor film must be bad!!! 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2397
    rze99 said:

cheers

R

Spy with Sasha Baron Cohen
    Argo
    Bridge Of Spies

thanks Haven't seen Spy 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12516
    edited September 2022
    Tales That Witness Madness. 1970’s anthology “horror” movie similar to Dr Terrors House of Horrors, except it contains nothing that could be described as horror, just the odd bit of red paint. It does however have oodles of truly atrocious acting from the likes of Joan Collins and Kim Novak and the occasional glimpse of tits’n’ass. Donald Pleasence and Jack Hawkins somehow manage to keep a straight face throughout, god knows how. Worth watching if only for the kitsch 70s scenery and outfits. 9/10 for the truly awful so-bad-it’s-good Polynesian god sacrifice section, 4/10 for Joan Collins’ body double nipples (@Emp_Fab ;; ), 3/10 for the rest. 
  • Nobody on Prime . The bloke from better call Saul is in it which pulled me in.

Ridiculous film along the lines of History of Violence but nowhere near as intelligent.

Loved it .  8.5/10
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    After all these years I finally saw North by Northwest. Needless to say a classic. I really enjoyed it, Cary Grant was a wonderfully watchable star. On iPlayer if anyone is interested.

Mindhorn - an entertaining low budget film from Steve Coogan's production company. Steve has a minor role, the film is a vehicle for Julian Barrett, one half of The Mighty Bhoosh. If you like Julian's style of comedy (over confident buffoon) it's worth a look. Mindorn was an 80s TV detective, and the actor of the role (Julian) is co-opted by the police to help catch a serial killer who will only speak to the TV character. For me it was 7/10, I'm a JB fan. On Disney+

Pirates of the Caribbean - Salazaar's revenge Disney+. I loved the first PotC film, thought the second was poor, third even worse and the fourth I didn't get past the first 15 minutes. Roll on a few years - I'm not even sure why I put this one on, but straight away I liked the look of baddie Salazaar, with his hair looking like it is underwater. Strangely I found the film very entertaining! Yes, there was plenty of dire scripting (the entire safe scene), but I just 'went with the flow'. I've always liked Johnny Depp in these films, but I also think that Geoffrey Rush is great as Capt Barbosa. Kaya Scodelario was a good addition to the cast. I'm giving it 7/10, it doesn't deserve that as a film, but that was my personal enjoyment level.

I feel compelled to try film 4 again now .....
  • Nobody on Prime . The bloke from better call Saul is in it which pulled me in.

Ridiculous film along the lines of History of Violence but nowhere near as intelligent.

Loved it .  8.5/10
    And yet totally superb I agree
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23687
    The Batman
    It's three hours long and I fell asleep a couple of times - but that's standard for me and doesn't mean the film was boring.  Obviously I missed some plot points but the film is extremely stylish and well-made.  It's a strange one... there's not much character development, very little humour, a feeling that despite the lengthy running time not much has happened by the end.  I can imagine many viewers hating it.  But I still think it sort of works.  I'll watch it again.
  • Today's Saturday matinee was Pinocchio (the new one) on Disney+

Never been a big fan of the story but the new version has some amazing touches, the cuckoo clocks are awesome (I'll say no more) and the animation is amazing. It's a weird thing to say but the animation is almost too good.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    Today's Saturday matinee was Pinocchio (the new one) on Disney+

Never been a big fan of the story but the new version has some amazing touches, the cuckoo clocks are awesome (I'll say no more) and the animation is amazing. It's a weird thing to say but the animation is almost too good.
    Ahhh yes, I forgot that I watched it with one of the daughters last week. I thought it was a delightful film with much to enjoy. The cuckoo clocks were a joy to behold, I'm looking forward to someone sorting a compilation on YouTube so I can see them again but in one hit! big thumbs up!
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1959
    Leon The Professional

I'd seen this before (a long time ago) and thought it was great. I fancied it was a sure fire winner for a Friday night movie but TBH, I didn't think it had aged well. 

6/10

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    axisus said:

I feel compelled to try film 4 again now
    Ian McShane as Blackbeard. Mermaids.

It is worth seeing, although you may be disappointed if you expect to see quite as much as you think you’re going to of the mermaids :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Werewolves within. 

Fun murder mystery whodunit with werewolf. 
    It's a 15 so not too scary a comedy really but lots of twists to keep it interesting. 
    Not bad.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1966
    Mahoosive plus 1 for Nobody.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73077
    Tolkien

Unsurprisingly, about the early life of J.R.R. Tolkien and how his childhood and experiences in WWI inspired his writing. Not too bad… well filmed with some pretty good imagery in places, although the acting/dialogue/direction seems rather clichéd and predictable, and the epilogue - set about fifteen years later - comes over a bit oddly since the characters don’t seem to have aged at all.

Disclaimer: I’m not a fan, since I found The Hobbit and Lord Of The Rings more or less unreadable, and gave up on the first LOTR film as well - I wasn’t sure if this film would reveal anything which might make me inclined to give them another go.

Not really, although I possibly might…

6/10

(Disney+)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein