What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• swillerswiller Frets: 1305
    edited August 2022

No, what I meant to ask is whether all of the series is available on Netflix. Thanks, I'll give it a go as it's been recommended to me few times before as well.
    they are yes mate, think earlier one is called top boy summerhouse. well worth a binge through all of them
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    CHRISB50 said:
    swiller said:

Top boy is absolutely superb.
    Definitely agree with you there swiller, it’s one if not the best series I’ve seen, the characters play such true to life parts, it was even more interesting to me as it was filmed on my stomping ground, look forward to the next series 
    What is it on? 

I've seen Netflix but all series?
    Ah unless there is a film called top boy? , I may have mistakenly thought it was the series being referred to 
    No, what I meant to ask is whether all of the series is available on Netflix. Thanks, I'll give it a go as it's been recommended to me few times before as well.
    @BigBearKris ;

Yes buddy. They’re all on there. 

Original two series listed as Top Boy Summerhouse. 

Series three and four just Top Boy. 

They are quite different. First two are darker. Very gritty. 

Second two series (once Drake bought the production rights) are easier going. 
    Great! Darker and grittier the better.
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2613
    tFB Trader
    CHRISB50 said:
    swiller said:

Top boy is absolutely superb.
    Definitely agree with you there swiller, it’s one if not the best series I’ve seen, the characters play such true to life parts, it was even more interesting to me as it was filmed on my stomping ground, look forward to the next series 
    What is it on? 

I've seen Netflix but all series?
    Ah unless there is a film called top boy? , I may have mistakenly thought it was the series being referred to 
    @BigBearKris ;

Yes buddy. They’re all on there. 

Original two series listed as Top Boy Summerhouse. 

Series three and four just Top Boy. 

They are quite different. First two are darker. Very gritty. 

Second two series (once Drake bought the production rights) are easier going. 
    Great! Darker and grittier the better.
    I have seen these too and can also highly recommend it. Especially the first two seasons are almost more like a real life documentary in parts..  Really well made.
  • Thanks guys, didn’t mean to confuse the thread  =) , it’s definitely worth a watch 
    Riddim up
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 937
    edited August 2022
    What We Do In The Shadows - 8/10

Stumbled on this on Amazon Prime and was surprised I'd not heard of it before.
    It's a 2014 mockumentary made and set in present day New Zealand about vampires sharing a flat.
    It's very silly but great fun and has some very wry and funny moments. I laughed out loud a few times.
    Lot's of references to other vampire film and TV moments.
    Highly recommended if you're in a stupid kind of mood.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1880
    edited August 2022
    Its awesome, just don't watch the TV series of the same name, it stretches the material too far. IMO obviously.
    It's worth it just for "we're werewolves not swearwolves".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 383
    I think someone on here recommended White Tiger on Netflix. It was really good, especially having been to most of the places in it.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18979
    Just for a change I thought I'd mention a film that you might never get to see.
    Batgirl.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-62406098

$70 million, completed & scrapped. Weird...
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23084
    Prey (Disney+)

The seventh(!) film in the Predator series must technically be a prequel, because it's set in North America in 1719.  Naru, a young Comanche woman determined to prove herself as a hunter, encounters... a Predator.

The plot is pretty much a rehash of all the other Predator plots, except this time the protagonist is a Mulan/Brave type of character.  The historical setting seems like a great idea but it's largely irrelevant, except the Predator's equipment is ever-so-slightly cyberpunkish.  There's some really nice scenery which I hope isn't CGI; the more obvious CGI elements are a bit ropey.  The characters speak modern English with a bit of Comanche thrown in for authenticity(?).

Despite its flaws, this is almost pretty good.  If they'd been a bit more gung-ho with the action scenes it would've been that much better.  As it is, most of the blood and guts is just off-screen and the whole thing lacks impact.  Worth a watch though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72619
    Ventoux

Dutch film about a group of middle-aged men reliving a formative experience cycling in France thirty years earlier, and confronting a few ghosts from the past. Fairly well-made, somewhat predictable, and the central event isn't completely believable - not least because you wouldn't just go and casually repeat the experience which involved it, I don't think - but not bad.

Slightly disappointed by the lack of 80s props and detail from the flashback parts - set in 1982 - but maybe the 80s were less "80s" in Europe than they were here...

6/10

(Netflix)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3073
    edited August 2022
    The Gray (sic) Man Netflix

Prisoner serving life recruited by the CIA as an “asset” in a group of assassins

Boss goes rogue using them for his own ends

Plot sound familiar? It should as its been done to death   SWIDT?

Absolute formula stuff, but the fight scene choreography wasnt bad, plenty of shoot em ups, car chases explosions etc

You know when you want something not too deep or meaningful? Well this is it, in spades, however it entertained us…..

Plot 1/10, entertainment 7/10

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

Elvis

Brilliant.

10/10

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    Elvis

Brilliant.

10/10
    Its in my queue but I've heard horrible reviews (work colleagues who opinions in relation to music and films are likely to differ to mine's).

Glad to hear you enjoyed it (greatly apparently) - I'll give it a go this weekend.
    BigBearKris said:

Its in my queue but I've heard horrible reviews (work colleagues who opinions in relation to music and films are likely to differ to mine's).

Glad to hear you enjoyed it (greatly apparently) - I'll give it a go this weekend.
    To be fair, I could have pasted in my longer reply from the Elvis Movie thread, in which I did admit that if you don't like Baz Luhrmann's visual style - and I know a lot of people don't, although I'm a fan anyway - then it's probably not for you.

But yes, I thought it was outstanding.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11991
    Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 (Netflix).  Documentary on the disastrous Woodstock reboot.  This is an eye-popping film: profiteering, poor organisation, rioting, destruction, arson, violence, sexual assault - and defiant denial and an unwillingness on the part of the two main organisers, John Scher and Michael Lang, to acknowledge the sheer depth of disaster and their part in it.

Recommended, but it isn't easy viewing.
    Offset said:
    Trainwreck: Woodstock '99 (Netflix).  Documentary on the disastrous Woodstock reboot.  This is an eye-popping film: profiteering, poor organisation, rioting, destruction, arson, violence, sexual assault - and defiant denial and an unwillingness on the part of the two main organisers, John Scher and Michael Lang, to acknowledge the sheer depth of disaster and their part in it.

I'm yet to watch it but if you're interested in the subject I can recommend HBO's "Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage".
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11991
    Offset said:

I'm yet to watch it but if you're interested in the subject I can recommend HBO's "Woodstock 99: Peace, Love, and Rage".
    Ta Kris - it's on my watchlist :-)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    AlbertC said:
    What We Do In The Shadows - 8/10

Stumbled on this on Amazon Prime and was surprised I'd not heard of it before.
    It's a 2014 mockumentary made and set in present day New Zealand about vampires sharing a flat.
    It's very silly but great fun and has some very wry and funny moments. I laughed out loud a few times.
    Lot's of references to other vampire film and TV moments.
    Highly recommended if you're in a stupid kind of mood.
    Love that film! Seen it many times. 

Brio said:
    Its awesome, just don't watch the TV series of the same name, it stretches the material too far. IMO obviously.
    It's worth it just for "we're werewolves not swearwolves".
    I tried it and I just wasn't feeling it, but I persevered and got it in the end. I didn't like the bald guy at first, but got used to him. The series does contain a moment that gave me my biggest laugh out moment for years - the vampire vs werewolf fight on a rooftop. No spoilers but boy was that funny!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    Lightyear

Watched with daughter number 2. Once again, you just have to marvel at the quality of the animation these days. If I'd have seen this as a child/teen my head would have literally exploded at the amazingness. I come from an era where we were all amazed by the Money for nothing video, and that is unbelievably poor actually!

Well first off, they did something at the start that I HATED! It doesn't really spoil anything to say this, but they put a message up saying something like "This is the film that inspired Andy to get a Buzz Lightyear toy" and I thought Nooooooooooooo!  Ok, so when I watch an animated film - Moana, Tangled, whatever, it's a story but it feels like it's like a real thing happening - like any fairy tale you read as a kid, you believe it as a thing, you believe in the characters in their . To announce it as a 'film' in that way kills off all the magic. I'm not explaining this well, but I know what I mean!

So, the story gets going and about 20 mins in I guess I'm thinking 'this is not the best story they could have written'. I didn't like where it was going. But, as the film went on I enjoyed it more and got into the swing of it, and by the end I would say that I liked it. Not a classic, but I'm giving it a slightly generous 7/10
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2308

Slow Horses

TV Series on Apple TV

Just finished watching. A very starry cast excels in the impressive adaptation of Mick Herron’s misfit British spy saga about MI5 rejects seeking redemption. Blackly comic nicely if studiedly grungy, well acted and scripted and really absorbing. My wife read the books and loved them. 

Highly recommended.

9/10

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom