What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Crimson Tide

I love submarine movies and this is one of my faves ... hadn't seen it for three years or so so had to watch it last night on TV.

If you want to take away the bitter taste of Black Sea (based upon @chillidoggy 's review) then I commend this to you.

Hackman and Denzel really bring out all of the polarisations in war ...  people, processes, politics ... dynamic tension from start (almost) to finish.

I can't believe it is 25+ years old because it still holds up now ... deffo worth a 9/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    stufisher said:
    Crimson Tide

I love submarine movies and this is one of my faves ... hadn't seen it for three years or so so had to watch it last night on TV.

If you want to take away the bitter taste of Black Sea (based upon @chillidoggy 's review) then I commend this to you.

Hackman and Denzel really bring out all of the polarisations in war ...  people, processes, politics ... dynamic tension from start (almost) to finish.

I can't believe it is 25+ years old because it still holds up now ... deffo worth a 9/10

There are a few decent sub movies, ‘Das Boot’ is the obvious choice, along with its second series, but I also like ‘On the Beach’ (1959), and The Enemy Below (1957).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    @Haych coincidentally I watched National Treasure 2 last night. Just as stupid as the first one. Brilliant.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25560
    Brio said:
    @Haych coincidentally I watched National Treasure 2 last night. Just as stupid as the first one. Brilliant.
    I love both of those. Very silly and all the better for it.

The TV series that started this year manages to miss everything that made the films fun.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25101
    More Nic Cage - after watching The Unbearable (etc) last night, I noticed Willy's Wonderland is now also on Prime.  I might watch it tonight if I have time and/or don't fall asleep.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    Ant Man Quantumania. Good fun and certainly much better than the critics suggest. 

Not hurt by having an entire ~200-seat screen to ourselves. Though I'm guessing that's not a great sign on opening weekend...  

Actually, if you look very closely, there is an ant on every seat. I hope you didn’t squash a customer …
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Willy's Wonderland is awesome
    Saw it last year. Maximum Cage!!!
    Philly_Q said:
    More Nic Cage - after watching The Unbearable (etc) last night, I noticed Willy's Wonderland is now also on Prime.  I might watch it tonight if I have time and/or don't fall asleep.
    Well, I started watching it... and fell asleep.  I'll try again today or tomorrow.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 20593
    If it's Nicholas Cage you're after, it has to be the Coen brothers 'Raising Arizona'. Even his hair deserved an acting award...
    Tonights planned viewing should answer the age old question. 
    Which is better/worse Zombie Strippers or Zombies vs Strippers.

The things I do for science.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74484
    If it's Nicholas Cage you're after, it has to be the Coen brothers 'Raising Arizona'. Even his hair deserved an acting award...
    It's the only one I can stand. He plays a moron... quite well :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus said:
    Ant Man Quantumania. Good fun and certainly much better than the critics suggest. 

Not hurt by having an entire ~200-seat screen to ourselves. Though I'm guessing that's not a great sign on opening weekend...  

Actually, if you look very closely, there is an ant on every seat. I hope you didn’t squash a customer …
    I felt quite bad for the cleaning guys. There were more of them (3) than us (2) and the poor buggers had to wait for 2 post-credits scenes...

We didn't leave any mess, which I hope made up for it!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Which is better/worse Zombie Strippers or Zombies vs Strippers.

How bad is a film with  zombies and strippers if you just fast forward through it. Both score 1/19.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14024
    Independence Day: Resurgence (2016)

Somehow I seem to have missed this previously.  The original movie was irritating but I half-enjoyed it despite myself (it was still only a 4/10).

This is the most appalling drivel however.  Excruciatingly bad with every shite cliche that mainstream big-budget American cinema has to offer.  It was embarrassing to watch.  

Emmerich has made some real shite but this is down there with his worst, and boy that's saying something.  I should know better.

A very generous 2/10.
  • ShrewsShrews Frets: 3237
    Theatre Of Blood - Talking Pictures NOW

...just started. But I can tell you before the end that it's a 10/10, probably 11 if you hate poodles.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14024
    Shrews said:
    Theatre Of Blood - Talking Pictures NOW

...just started. But I can tell you before the end that it's a 10/10, probably 11 if you hate poodles.
    I'm watching it.  The cast is bloody wonderful!
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Social Network

One that I've almost avoided watching ever since it came out.  I couldn't fathom how they could possibly make a film out of Facebook!

Looks like I was quite wrong in assuming it would be a bit dull; it's actually quite good, and tells the story of the beginnings of Facebook along with the legal problems that came with it for Zuckerberg.

Jesse Eisenberg does a really wonderful job of portraying Mark Zuckerberg as a brilliant but ultimately loathsome individual.  Justin Timberlake wades in part way through and starts playing the big I-am as Sean Parker, creator of Napster, and who ends up being just as much an asshole as MZ.

On the whole it was a really good film.

7.5/10. Netflix

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Viking Wolf (Netflix)

The title's a little misleading, this is a modern werewolf tale which has very little to do with Vikings.  However, it is set in rural Norway so there's some nice scenery. 

It's not bad at all, but it's all a bit predictable and finishes in a way which is meant to be ambiguous but just feels like there are a lot of loose ends...
  • Cocaine Bear - ridiculous, pretty funny and very gory. A proper B movie and a solid 7 out of 10
    +1 for Cocaine Bear