What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2504
    Haych said:
    Your Place Or Mine

Netflix RomCom with Ashton Kutcher and Reese Witherspoon.

Reese (Debbie) and Ashton (Peter) had a brief fling 20 years ago and while their relationship went no further they remain best friends, call each other daily and apparently tell each other everything.

Fast forward to present day and Peter lives in New York while Debbie still lives in LA, where they met.  

Debbie needs to visit New York to take some classes for her degree and is let down at the last minute by her friend who was meant to look after her 13 year old son while she was away.  

Peter steps in and they effectively swap homes for a week, Peter flying to LA to look after Debbie's son, and Debbie flies to New York and stays in Peter's apartment while she studies for her degree.

While swapping homes for the week things happen and they learn that they don't quite tell each other everything.

It's very predictable, of course, and if I'm honest it's not very funny for a romcom, and given past works of both Ashton and Reese not at all what I expected.  But, I really enjoyed it.  It's sweet, entertaining and while not laugh out loud funny there are some amusing moments, but in a grown up kind of way.

If they filled it with laughs it would have detracted from what is actually quite a good story and it would just have felt cheap and probably have been less funny.

I wasn't expecting to like it but I really did.  Ashton Kutcher and Reese Witherspoon are both perfect in their roles and are great to watch.  They have both aged incredibly well, too!

I can't help it but I have to give it 8/10 for just being a really sweet, entertaining feel good boy-meets-girl kinda movie.
    Daughter (23) watched this at ours last night with a pal. She said it was "a bit crap, really". Hard to please....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25099
    Plane

I now rate films based on the type of film they are, and for this type of film it's 10/10
    What's the type of film?  The "utter shite with Gerard Butler playing an airline pilot" type?

(I haven't seen it. ;) )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PSA very rare re run of the original Edge of Darkness - 80s conspiracy thriller series - is on now BBC Four / IPlayer. One of the best things the BBC ever made. And featuring Eric Clapton on soundtrack. 

Thank me later. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Nope. I'll thank you now.
    Thanks.
    Watched the Mel Gibson version a month back. Good to compare.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bugger only one episode up. Will they be dropping one a week?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14017
    Brio said:
    Thanks.
    Yes, I did too and I'm going to watch the Bob Peck/Joanne Whalley version yet again.  I already know which I prefer, but the Gibson version was unexpectedly good.
    SPOILER ALERT!!!!
    You can't mention Joanne Whalley without warning me to have a bath of ice waiting!
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Brio said:
    SPOILER ALERT!!!!
    You can't mention Joanne Whalley without warning me to have a bath of ice waiting!
    wasn't she lovely....?
    Offset said:
    Brio said:
    Thanks.
    Yes, I did too and I'm going to watch the Bob Peck/Joanne Whalley version yet again.  I already know which I prefer, but the Gibson version was unexpectedly good.
    Bob Peck is magnificent in it.
    Brio said:
    Bugger only one episode up. Will they be dropping one a week?
    dunno I just set it to record 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 335
    rze99 said:
    PSA very rare re run of the original Edge of Darkness - 80s conspiracy thriller series - is on now BBC Four / IPlayer. One of the best things the BBC ever made. And featuring Eric Clapton on soundtrack. 

Thank me later. 
    I re-watched it a few years ago, having remembered how brilliant it was when first on. I thought it was rather silly by modern standards, and finished it feeling rather disappointed.
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    'Star Trek: Into Darkness'. 

Saw the plot twist coming a mile off, and Cumberbatch chews the scenery, but it was diverting enough. Shit ending but decent cgi. 
    All The Old Knives

Prime. 

Henry Pelham (Chris Pine) is a CIA officer haunted by a disastrous event eight years earlier, when he was at the Vienna station: a plane hijacking ended in a hundred deaths because the terrorists were somehow able to anticipate the authorities’ counter-attack. And he is still heartbroken because his CIA colleague Celia Harrison (Thandiwe Newton), with whom he was and is deeply in love, broke up with him just afterwards, abandoned the service and is now a placidly contented wife and mother in Carmel, California.

Pretty well acted and Thandiwe is excellent and of course very lovely… to these eyes anyway. 

Convoluted and rather too slow. There’s almost no action. I’m not one for cgi and big explosions anyway but online a bit more movement and dynamism. It’s essentially a love story between spies with a complicated plot back drop. Unfortunately I didn’t find the plot credible once I realised what was going on and I nearly fell asleep a couple of times. My wife enjoyed it more than I did. 

5/10 me but my wife probably would give it a 7. 
  • Philly_Q said:
    Plane

I now rate films based on the type of film they are, and for this type of film it's 10/10
    What's the type of film?  The "utter shite with Gerard Butler playing an airline pilot" type?

(I haven't seen it. ;) )
    Action! Whilst it does have some typical "that wouldn't happen" bits, it does seem a damn sight more realistic than the rest of the Oridinary Man Rambo movies. Honestly, it was great!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    The Batman - really liked it. 8/10
    Godzilla v Kong - fantastic silliness. Deserves an oscar. 10/10
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6290
    edited February 2023
    rze99 said:

Thank me later. 
    Watched this twice. Still a bit rattled by the inexplicable vibrator sniffing/kissing. Just weird.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28397
    I finally got around to seeing Hugo. What a beautiful film! Visually fabulous in many places, and a most touching and heartwarming story. I knew nothing about it beforehand, it was a lovely watch. 9.5/10 for me.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2716
    edited February 2023
    Road to Perdition. This seems to have enough of the right ingredients to be a great film but somehow misses. It looks fantastic, the star wattage is high (Newman, Hanks, Daniel Craig, Jude Law) and the performances are excellent. It’s an inventive twist on the gangster film focusing on father/son relationships. 

Its problem, I think, is that Sam Mendes is a little too fastidious in his good taste. The photography and soundtrack are beautiful but sombre. It steers clear of the easy excitements of the genre - there’s almost no sex, sentimentality is largely avoided (though the film is moving in places) and fantasies of power and revenge are undercut by continual reminders of the human misery caused by violence. 

These should all be good things, but the cumulative effect of all that emotional austerity is to hold the viewer at a distance, almost never fully engaged.  I feel there's the potential for a 9/10 film, here but in the end I'd score it at 7.5.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    Morning Glory

Comedy with Rachel McAdams and some heavy hitters in the leads roles, Harrison Ford, Geoff Goldblum (or is it Jeff?), Diane Keaton and one or two lesser know, but still familiar faces. 

McAdams is fired from her job as a producer on a major breakfast TV show but soon lands a job as executive producer on a third rate competing show. 

It’s complete chaos but she makes changes and tries to befriend the lead anchor (Diane Keaton) and ropes in Harrison Ford, a veteran news anchor who hates everything about his new job, to be co-host. 

Despite the good cast and a decent story, by the time it was halfway through it still didn’t seem to have got off the runway. I was sticking with it because Mrs Haych seemed to be enjoying it, but when she voiced a similar opinion we pressed the big red button and went to bed. 

It’s on Netflix, your thoughts may differ. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

• OffsetOffset Frets: 14017
    axisus said:
    I finally got around to seeing Hugo. What a beautiful film! Visually fabulous in many places, and a most touching and heartwarming story. I knew nothing about it beforehand, it was a lovely watch. 9.5/10 for me.
    Fantastic isn't it.  Absolutely adore it.