What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• Sporky said:
    The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent 

Exquisite. Flawless. Straight into my top 5. Nicholas Cage as Nick Cage, in probably the most Nicolas Cage film of all time.

3,622/10
    Have you seen Mandy? 
    Imo he Nick Cages harder than Nick Cage has ever Nick Caged in that one and he doesn't even play Nick Cage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    Sporky said:

Exquisite. Flawless. Straight into my top 5. Nicholas Cage as Nick Cage, in probably the most Nicolas Cage film of all time.

3,622/10
    Have you seen Mandy? 
    Imo he Nick Cages harder than Nick Cage has ever Nick Caged in that one and he doesn't even play Nick Cage.
    Even harder than Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans?
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14013
    I watched Men last night @SteveRobinson - I thought it was absolutely dreadful.  Just complete rubbish - and I like weirdness/folk horror as much as anyone.  I watched it through to the end to see if it could get any worse than the preceding 1:30, and I wasn't disappointed.  I kind of got the ending, but understanding it didn't make it any better.

Utter tripe - 2/10, and it was saved from null points by the excellent Rory Kinnear.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Dr Strangelove.
    Just getting in the mood for what the future possibly holds.  8/10.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_Q said:
    Sporky said:

3,622/10
    Have you seen Mandy? 
    He cages pretty hard!
    MANDY - Official Trailer - YouTube
  • My bruv was visiting from Canada during the last fortnight so we've been watching Band Of Brothers (the HBO boxset).

Clearly, not a movie but who cares ... it's just compelling from start to finish and I'd encourage everyone to watch it.

10/10
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:
    Sporky said:

3,622/10
    Have you seen Mandy? 
    He cages pretty hard!
    MANDY - Official Trailer - YouTube
    I have seen Mandy, a couple of times.  I like it, but with all the hype I was expecting it to be even more gonzo at the end than it actually is.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Empire Of Light

Sam Mendes film with Olivia Colman, Colin Firth, Toby Jones and others in an emotional drama about a woman with mental health issues working in a cinema in 1980 Margate. It's billed as something of a 'celebration of cinema', but it really isn't - the story is all about Colman's character and the cinema aspect of it is only touched on - it's a backdrop to everything, but there's no real sense of wonder at the magic of it apart from a couple of very brief scenes with Jones. As you'd expect from Mendes it's extremely well-directed and shot, but the plot is somewhat predictable and most of the characters a bit clichéd. However, if you have any doubt that Colman is probably the best actor of her generation then this should probably remove it... she's absolutely brilliant. If only the film was quite as good.

7/10

(Local cinema)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    edited February 2023
    Men (Amazon Prime)

Folk horror tale of guilt and the Green Man.

Great acting from Jessie Buckley, lots of peril and a weird ending that I didn't quite get.

8/10

Yeah.  I had no real idea what was going on but quite enjoyed it all the same. 

The only issue for me was the huge plot hole…..

Why the hell didn’t she bugger off back to London at the first sign of trouble?

edited February 2023
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever (Disney+)

I don't really know what to say... it's better than the last couple of Marvel films but it's left me unmoved.  It's the best part of three hours long but after all that time not much seems to have happened.  And it never really kicks into fifth gear.
    RobDavies said:
    Men (Amazon Prime)

Folk horror tale of guilt and the Green Man.

Great acting from Jessie Buckley, lots of peril and a weird ending that I didn't quite get.

8/10

Yeah.  I had no real idea what was going on but quite enjoyed it all the same. 

The only issue for me was the huge plot hole…..

Why the hell didn’t she bugger off back to London at the first sign of trouble?

Offset said:
    I watched Men last night @SteveRobinson - I thought it was absolutely dreadful.  Just complete rubbish - and I like weirdness/folk horror as much as anyone.  I watched it through to the end to see if it could get any worse than the preceding 1:30, and I wasn't disappointed.  I kind of got the ending, but understanding it didn't make it any better.

Utter tripe - 2/10, and it was saved from null points by the excellent Rory Kinnear.
    I watched it a few weeks ago and didn't care for it much, although I think the early scenes where she wanders around in the countryside and finds the railway tunnel are atmospheric and beautifully shot.  And Buckley's first meeting and conversation with Kinnear's landlord character is well played.  After that it quickly becomes a bit of a shambles.

However, I did find it quite thought-provoking... I've normally forgotten all about a film 24 hours later but this one did stay in my head.  I think I understood the underlying concept fairly early on - or at least I formed my own idea of what the underlying concept is!  But I don't think certain details make sense, and I really don't know how or why the folk-horror elements are supposed to connect with it all.  And....
    ...as regards the theme that "all men are essentially the same - self-absorbed, misogynist predators and potential rapists".... I'm not sure if that's supposed to be very much the perspective of the damaged woman at the centre of the story, or if we're supposed to just take it as an established fact.

• MrTeeMrTee Frets: 568
    stufisher said:
    My bruv was visiting from Canada during the last fortnight so we've been watching Band Of Brothers (the HBO boxset).

Clearly, not a movie but who cares ... it's just compelling from start to finish and I'd encourage everyone to watch it.

10/10
    Best show of all time in my opinion 
    The Menu (Disney+)

A group of foodies visit an extremely exclusive restaurant to experience the tasting menu.  The evening does not turn out as expected.  I really enjoyed this, it's quite unusual to see a film with some genuine surprises.  And it's got Anya Taylor-Joy in it.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12901
    Infinite. C4. Scifi action toss with Mark Wahlberg finding out he’s a member of a group of people who can come back as a different person each time they die, only with all their previous life experiences and knowledge. It could’ve been good except it gets bogged down with car chases, martial arts shennanigans and then slowly descends into a sort of X Men goodies vs baddies type thing. It’s an ok if you turn your brain off  type thing. 5/10. 
  • LeisceoirLeisceoir Frets: 168
    edited February 2023
    Everything Everywhere All At Once

I don't think I have language to describe this film. It was so visually extreme, so incredibly SILLY and so much fun. Great acting and great kung fu stunts too. I haven't laughed this much watching a film in a long time. Felt like I was watching Monty Python or League of Gentlemen for the first time- you know when you're trying to figure out the internal logic, then you realise it's all just ridiculous?
    My trading feedback thread
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    Yeah, but have you seen his pig?
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    Philly_Q said:
    The Menu (Disney+)

A group of foodies visit an extremely exclusive restaurant to experience the tasting menu.  The evening does not turn out as expected.  I really enjoyed this, it's quite unusual to see a film with some genuine surprises.  And it's got Anya Taylor-Joy in it.
    I quite liked it but didn't think that Roof Fiends was correctly cast. The role needed someone much darker in spirit. 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 765

I've now tried twice to watch this and lose patience and understanding when I get to the tax office scene. I do find more & more that I ditch a movie part way
    through. YMMV but this is as inexplicable as something like Tenet.

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    I came to the conclusion it was like Matrix Resurrections. Pretty but insubstantial. Enjoy the ride but don't expect much of the destination.
    SRich said:

I've now tried twice to watch this and lose patience and understanding when I get to the tax office scene. I do find more & more that I ditch a movie part way
    through. YMMV but this is as inexplicable as something like Tenet.
    Just hang on to the end and by then they've basically chucked out all the complex, inexplicable stuff and reduced it down to the most basic idea imaginable.