• GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3891
    Don't judge me, but.....

'Mortal Kombat.' The recent one.

Just. Don't. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Offset said:
    Ghosts Of War (2020) 

I watched this for the second time a couple of nights ago out of curiosity.  It confirmed my original recollection.  It starts out fairly promisingly - during WW2 a group five of US soldiers are sent to guard a chateau in occupied France.  Weird shit starts happening and the first 60-70% or so of the film is moderately intriguing with some suspense and scares along the way.  But then we get to the 'twist' of the film which I obviously can't reveal, and it is so utterly and palpably unbelievable the whole thing just disintegrates.  There is no explanation for certain key events and this causes your suspension of disbelief to become completely, well, un-suspended.

Pre-twist - 6/10
    Post-twist - 1/10
    That sounds remarkably like ‘The Keep’, which is similarly great for about the first half or so then turns to utter shite.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    It also sounds a lot like a Korean film called R-Point, and any number of films set in abandoned military outposts, bunkers or warships!
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14013
    ICBM said:
    Offset said:
    Ghosts Of War (2020) 

I watched this for the second time a couple of nights ago out of curiosity.  It confirmed my original recollection.  It starts out fairly promisingly - during WW2 a group five of US soldiers are sent to guard a chateau in occupied France.  Weird shit starts happening and the first 60-70% or so of the film is moderately intriguing with some suspense and scares along the way.  But then we get to the 'twist' of the film which I obviously can't reveal, and it is so utterly and palpably unbelievable the whole thing just disintegrates.  There is no explanation for certain key events and this causes your suspension of disbelief to become completely, well, un-suspended.

Pre-twist - 6/10
    Post-twist - 1/10
    That sounds remarkably like ‘The Keep’, which is similarly great for about the first half or so then turns to utter shite.
    Ha ha!  I remember it - yeah utter shite.  The denouement in GoW is possibly even more shite however.

There is another film which GoW borrows from very heavily indeed - it was a film I thoroughly enjoyed and I can't tell you what it is or you'd guess the ending!

If you and @Philly_Q watch it, see if you can guess the film I'm thinking of.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2843
    The Fabelmans

The main enjoyment was a rare trip to cinema. The film was ok, although strange to think someone would choose to romanticise their life in this way.

6/10
  • Did I mention Another Round? Mads and co on top form. 

https://youtube.com/watch?v=bj8Jmz_srDg&feature=shares
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 1121
    edited February 2023
    Green Book is on iplayer. Won best picture at the oscars 2018. Worth a watch. I actually enjoyed this, and didn't feel like I had just wasted 2 hours of my life, like I do with most films. I would give it 8/10.
    Keiko said:
    Green Book is on iplayer. Won best picture at the oscars 2018. Worth a watch. I actually enjoyed this, and didn't feel like I had just wasted 2 hours of my life, like I do with most films. I would give it 8/10.
    I watched it a couple of weeks ago.  I remember when it won the Oscar then immediately got mired in controversy for a variety of reasons... but taking the film on face value, it's got a strong story, a couple of superb lead performances and I really enjoyed it.
    Offset said:
    ICBM said:
    Offset said:
    Ghosts Of War (2020) 

Pre-twist - 6/10
    Post-twist - 1/10
    Ha ha!  I remember it - yeah utter shite.  The denouement in GoW is possibly even more shite however.

There is another film which GoW borrows from very heavily indeed - it was a film I thoroughly enjoyed and I can't tell you what it is or you'd guess the ending!

If you and @Philly_Q watch it, see if you can guess the film I'm thinking of.
    Well, I had to watch Ghosts of War.  What a weird mess... it looks pretty good, decent cast, but the "horror" elements are such cliched nonsense.  It's like the director has only ever seen about three horror movies in his life.  And the ending...

@Offset I'm not sure I do know the film you're thinking of, although there are elements which made me think of many other films. 
  • The Imitation Game

BBC4

I had seen it before, the combination of my cold and knowing what happens seemed to make it even more miserable. Some of what happens seems quite contrived and so I don’t always know what is biographical detail and what’s just a plot contrivance (my brother is on that ship: massive coincidence or for dramatic effect?). But it’s a well paced bit of drama. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • PjonPjon Frets: 335
    ewal said:
    The Fabelmans

The main enjoyment was a rare trip to cinema. The film was ok, although strange to think someone would choose to romanticise their life in this way.

6/10
    One review said that it's the best Spielberg film to date. I'm not sure that I'm interested enough in him to spend any time watching a film about him though.

It's also noticeable how many films are being made at the moment about films, or the film making process. Cinema is eating itself.
    Pjon said:
    Cinema is eating itself.
    It'll be Pop next.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    The Imitation Game

BBC4

I had seen it before, the combination of my cold and knowing what happens seemed to make it even more miserable. Some of what happens seems quite contrived and so I don’t always know what is biographical detail and what’s just a plot contrivance (my brother is on that ship: massive coincidence or for dramatic effect?). But it’s a well paced bit of drama. 
    The film is almost entirely fiction. Check the ‘historical inaccuracies’ section in the Wikipedia listing…

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Imitation_Game

Still a good film though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gerald’s Game

Netflix

Stephen King story, apparently includes various references to other bits of his work although mostly passes me by. 
    Cheerless and certainly not for date night. Indeed, if someone gets upset by themes of child abuse probably avoid altogether. But otherwise gripping film with strong performances. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HaychHaych Frets: 6171
    The Raven

John Cusack is Edgar Allen Poe in a mid 1800s grizzly murder mystery.  A cat and mouse game begins as a killer starts offing people using Poe's stories as inspiration for his bloody murders. 

Apart from the beginning when it seemed Cusack was massively overacting the part it was really good.

Netflix

8/10

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

Everything Everywhere All At Once

Unique.

8/10
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30208
    The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent 

Exquisite. Flawless. Straight into my top 5. Nicholas Cage as Nick Cage, in probably the most Nicolas Cage film of all time.

3,622/10
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    ewal said:
    Everything Everywhere All At Once

Unique.

8/10
    Watched this last night, it's just amazing. 
    Just incredible - easily the most imaginative film I've seen.

On Prime if anyone interested.
  • Another huge thumbs up for Bank Of Dave :+1: 

Does anyone else immediately think of Roy Kinnear when they see Rory Kinnear? It's automatic for me now ... doesn't matter if it's a Bond movie or a comedy or an interview ... I always think of Rory's dad :smiley: 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom