What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• slackerslacker Frets: 2330
    Grey man just don't think while watching and it's enjoyable

Everything everywhere all nonsense or something like that. Don't think .. watch the Kung Fu and pretty costumes

Adam project child friendly ish Ryan Reynolds vehicle. Very good seen it twice now.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Adam project child friendly ish Ryan Reynolds vehicle. Very good seen it twice now.

Forgotten that! Will add it to my Time Travel themed movie phase I'm going through.
    Deja Vu is next for this evening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2087
    The Banshees of Inisherin

Beautiful to look at, brilliant acting performances from all and (I presume) an allegory for the Irish Civil War which forms a backdrop on the mainland.

Highly recommended. Colin Farrell and Brendan Gleason are the new Robert Redford / Paul Newman* - Farrell in particular is one of my favourite actors in these kind of roles. 

*not really, but they are a great screen couple. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7343
    tFB Trader
    aftersun (2022)

11 yo Sophie is on holiday in Turkey with her 30 yo dad who is separated from Sophie's mum. She's intelligent and beginning to come to terms with what being grown up is all about. Her Dad is suffering depression due to failed relationships and being skint.

Somehow, it's simultaneously endearing and quite sad.
  • PjonPjon Frets: 335
    Cisco Pike, a 1971 Kris Kristofferson/Gene Hackman film. 

I've been curious about why Kris K became so famous for a while now, and listened to one of his live albums a short while ago which I found fairly boring. (The only film I remember watching him in was Convoy, which I thoroughly enjoyed as a child.)

I'm still a little puzzled about his fame. His acting in this film was ok. His singing in this film was ok. The film wasn't particularly good, but at least it was short. :D 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 445
    Thanks to all on here who recommended The Bank Of Dave. We watched it last night and it's an easy 9/10 for both of us, maybe higher.

Not often I shout 'YES' while watching anything other than boxing or perhaps football.
    tFB Trader
    Jfingers said:
    Thanks to all on here who recommended The Bank Of Dave. We watched it last night and it's an easy 9/10 for both of us, maybe higher.

Not often I shout 'YES' while watching anything other than boxing or perhaps football.
    That's tonight's viewing sorted then
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    aftersun (2022)

11 yo Sophie is on holiday in Turkey with her 30 yo dad who is separated from Sophie's mum. She's intelligent and beginning to come to terms with what being grown up is all about. Her Dad is suffering depression due to failed relationships and being skint.

But not so skint as he can't afford a holiday in Turkey.

Jfingers said:

Yup. Watched it last week, and absolutely loved it. 9/10 on the Chilli rating!

tFB Trader
    Fun fact: both aftersun and Bank of Dave feature the exact same karaoke song. 
  • M3GAN - at cinema with unlimited pass.

Predictable, fun film that perhaps should have been more explicit than it was. Apparently it's PG-13 in USA, 15 here but it was a bit lacking in the gore department. Is it horror? No, but it's a fun film. 6/10
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14012
    M3GAN - at cinema with unlimited pass.
    For a moment I thought I'd accidental clicked on the number plate thread...
    "Honest Thief" 

Liam Neeson playing a bank robber who wants to turn himself in for love, spending almost the entire time getting battered, shot at, and shooting other people while he's doing it.

So, pretty much like any other Liam Neeson film, then.

5/10

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3828
    edited February 2023
    39 Steps… (1935)

Still a classy one…. ‘Are you sure it wasn’t… this one!’  

8/10
  • M3GAN - at cinema with unlimited pass.

Predictable, fun film that perhaps should have been more explicit than it was. Apparently it's PG-13 in USA, 15 here but it was a bit lacking in the gore department. Is it horror? No, but it's a fun film. 6/10
    We started watching that by my misssus couldn't cope. I need to revisit sometime soon as I'm intrigued how pear-shaped it went in the end ;)
    First 30mins had a very B-class feel to it.
  • BrioBrio Frets: 2269
    Deja Vu
    A time travel(ish) detective action romp where Denzel aided by Val Kilmer has to stop a terrorist attack that has already happened. A solid 9/10 from me.

How to murder your wife.

Jack Lemon and Terry-Thomas in a a rom com where a happy bachelor gets drunk and married to a stunning blonde that will turn his life and his butler's apart.
    Old school monochrome comedy classic. A worthy 7/10
    Ghosts Of War (2020) 

I watched this for the second time a couple of nights ago out of curiosity.  It confirmed my original recollection.  It starts out fairly promisingly - during WW2 a group five of US soldiers are sent to guard a chateau in occupied France.  Weird shit starts happening and the first 60-70% or so of the film is moderately intriguing with some suspense and scares along the way.  But then we get to the 'twist' of the film which I obviously can't reveal, and it is so utterly and palpably unbelievable the whole thing just disintegrates.  There is no explanation for certain key events and this causes your suspension of disbelief to become completely, well, un-suspended.

Pre-twist - 6/10
    Post-twist - 1/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25098
    ^ @Offset I'm surprised I haven't seen that, but looking at the cast list I don't think so.  I've certainly seen numerous other films with very similar storylines!
    Philly_Q said:
    ^ @Offset I'm surprised I haven't seen that, but looking at the cast list I don't think so.  I've certainly seen numerous other films with very similar storylines!
    Must admit I thought it would be one you'd watched.  If you have 90 minutes to kill, give it a shot - if only to revel in the ludicrousness of the ultimate premise!
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3828
    edited February 2023
    Cast a Dark Shadow..  1957

Not seen it before. A Hitchcock like noir thriller with Dirk Bogarde playing a psychotic parasite preying on older women.  The twist and end was not unexpected but still a satisfying watch.

A worthy 84mins with a surprisingly dark theme.

6.5/10 but maybe more for fans of old cinema.