What films have you watched recently?

What's Hot

Comments

• pt22pt22 Frets: 274
    Offset said:
    I now have a burning urge to re-watch Young Frankenstein.

Abbie Normal.  Brilliant!
    This is up next for me. It’s already queued up. Looking forward to it as I’ve only seen it in parts over the years. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72383
    Wicked Little Letters

Olivia Colman, Jessie Buckley, Timothy Spall and others in a black comedy about poison-pen letters in a small town just after WWI. It's very funny, *very* sweary - although not in an offensive way unless you have very sensitive ears by modern standards - but although there are darker elements, Spall's character in particular, the satire is a bit clumsy in places and it jars slightly. Colman is absolutely brilliant, Spall is as good as ever, but Buckley seems a little too modern for the time the film is supposed to be set in. There are a few other slightly out of context bits and overall it doesn't quite work as well as it probably could have done.

7/10

(Local cinema)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12376
    edited April 18
    pt22 said:
    The Producers - 1967

I'm a huge fan of Mel Brooks, but as this was his first full-length film this wasn't one of his best. Still has plenty of funny bits, off the wall "action", and some classic sardonic lines and facial expressions. It just took a while to move the plot, then seemed to skip forward in time past some events I'd like to have seen older Mel Brooks put onscreen. The payoff of the musical opening of "Springtime for Hitler" onstage was worth it though. lol 

I'm glad I watched it, as Gene Wilder is captivating with his unique style, and who can't enjoy a little silly "Benny Hill" style titillation, but all in all his later works are much better movies on the whole. 
    I like The Producers but it’s not my favourite Mel Brooks film. I find the two leads just too manic and grating. Springtime for Hitler makes up for it of course. For me Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are Brooks at his peak. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RichAC said:
    I watched a modern western last night, called Hell or High Water. Two brothers (one of them Chris Pine) robbing banks and being tracked by two Texas Rangers (one of them Jeff Bridges). 

It was really good - darkly funny and often moving. It presents a view of post credit-crunch rural America that we don’t often see.
    I watched this a few weeks' back (for the second time) and thought it was incredibly good.  Ben Foster is a really REALLY good actor.  I've not seen him be bad in anything, and his roles are often very varied (Leave No Trace is oscar worthy).  Jeff Bridges is Jeff Bridges (i.e. amazing) and Chris Pine is great too.  Honestly, one of the best films i've seen in a very long time.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Had an hour and half to kill yesterday evening so wanted to watch something short and snappy. Found this low budget French film 'Full Time' on iPlayer and really enjoyed it...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001wk90/full-time

Only 80 minutes, all spent following the increasingly desperate struggles of a single mother trying to hold down a full time job, having to commute into Paris during a transport worker's strike. Gripping in a rather uncomfortable, nervy way. Excellent performance from Laure Calamy - aka Noémie from 'Call My Agent'.

7.5/10
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22911
    The Exorcist: Believer (Amazon Prime)

Two young girls go missing and are found three days later, physically largely unharmed but with no memory of what's happened to them.  And then strange things start occurring...

The interesting idea here - at least potentially - is that there's no "The Exorcist" in the story.  Instead a group of people, men and women from different faiths, come together to try to save the two children. 

Unfortunately it doesn't work.  The acting is fine, but there are far too many characters with far too little to do.  There are no scares, no excitement and the whole thing falls utterly flat.
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7032
    tFB Trader
    Proud Mary (2018) Netflix

Mediocre action thriller featuring female assassin saving the kid whose dad she murdered. 
  • GreatapeGreatape Frets: 3557
    'Rebel Moon pt2'

A shitty Star Wars / Seven Samurai rip off. 

Terrible dialogue, acting and direction. Avoid.
  • LeiversaloneLeiversalone Frets: 344
    Late Night With The Devil

70's style with an almost documentary feel and a great performance by David Dastmalchian, this is my favourite horror of the year so far. Although it borrows from other classic films (Exorcist and Videodrome spring to mind) it really has it's own spin on things and escalates in a most entertaining (horrific) way. Highly recommended for the horror hounds here. I watched it at a friend's but I believe it's due on Shudder UK very soon.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10228
    edited April 21
    I saw Civil War last night. It's an action packed film focused on the journey of a group of photo journalists documenting the end of a civil war in modern day America. The politics of the situation are vague and unexplained aside from the President being a Trump-like figure. I expect this is intentional as most people forget what they're fighting for, and most often don't even know anyway. This is more about the realities of war than the reasons for it. 

The action scenes were good, the characters interesting but me and my friend both wished that there was a bit more about the circumstances that led to the war. 
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3468
    edited April 21
    Going to have a Convoy Sunday, showed my wee boy this and he seemed interested, so , wither or not we will get the whole movie in before he gets bored, who knows.

A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2291
    ICBM said:
    Wicked Little Letters

Olivia Colman, Jessie Buckley, Timothy Spall and others in a black comedy about poison-pen letters in a small town just after WWI. It's very funny, *very* sweary - although not in an offensive way unless you have very sensitive ears by modern standards - but although there are darker elements, Spall's character in particular, the satire is a bit clumsy in places and it jars slightly. Colman is absolutely brilliant, Spall is as good as ever, but Buckley seems a little too modern for the time the film is supposed to be set in. There are a few other slightly out of context bits and overall it doesn't quite work as well as it probably could have done.

7/10

(Local cinema)
    Seems a bit of a quirky Sunday night costume drama with a glass of wine movie.

I'll wait till it's on iPlayer.
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12376
    Hell or high water,  I read a recommendation on here and missus munckee watched it last night. It reminded me a lot of no country for old men, not quite as good but very watchable and some interesting characters. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Eight for Silver (Netflix)

Rural France, 1882... a group of greedy landowners are cursed by gypsies and find themselves under attack by a mysterious creature...  This reminded me of Brotherhood of the Wolf, minus nearly all of the scares and action.  And in fact the Beast of Gevaudan is mentioned several times.  

The film's set in a part of France where it's permanently grey and misty and most people have English or Irish names, which I found rather odd.  Boyd Holbrook (from The Predator) is the hero and talks in a strange accent which isn't British, Irish or French but - to be fair - doesn't sound American either.  The drab look - all natural light, flames or candlelight - is quite stylish and the film's bloodier than I was expecting, but the performances are all rather flat and wooden.

Chompy and the Girls (Amazon Prime)

Sam, a middle-aged man with a boring job and a failing marriage, gets a message from a 24-year-old woman named Jackson who claims to be his daughter.  The two have an awkward meeting in the park and witness something very strange... 

Amazon labelled this as a horror movie, which it most definitely isn't, although it does have elements which are very vaguely reminiscent of It Follows and Invasion of the Bodysnatchers.  No idea why they labelled it 18+, unless it's for strong language and drug references.  Essentially it's a rather amiable indie comedy about a father and daughter finding each other and bonding.  I liked it very much.
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 541
    robgilmo said:
    Going to have a Convoy Sunday, showed my wee boy this and he seemed interested, so , wither or not we will get the whole movie in before he gets bored, who knows.

I loved that movie as a kid.  Big American trucks and CB's may not hold the same fascination for kids these days.
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11763

70's style with an almost documentary feel and a great performance by David Dastmalchian, this is my favourite horror of the year so far. Although it borrows from other classic films (Exorcist and Videodrome spring to mind) it really has it's own spin on things and escalates in a most entertaining (horrific) way. Highly recommended for the horror hounds here. I watched it at a friend's but I believe it's due on Shudder UK very soon.
    It's now available on Shudder and I'll be settling down with a glass of wine tomorrow night to watch it!
    Offset said:

It's now available on Shudder and I'll be settling down with a glass of wine tomorrow night to watch it!
    Is it by George?  This is a rare case where I'll watch a film again even though I only saw it a few months ago.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11763
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

Is it by George?  This is a rare case where I'll watch a film again even though I only saw it a few months ago.
    That is recommendation indeed @Philly_Q - my anticipation has been heightened!

No pressure of course  ;)
    edited April 22
    Offset said:
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:

That is recommendation indeed @Philly_Q - my anticipation has been heightened!

No pressure of course 
    Don't blame me if you don't like it.  But it's excellent.
  • KeikoKeiko Frets: 998
    edited April 22
    rze99 said:

PSA

There are a few classic and decent on iPlayer I've seen... plus no adverts! I HATE adverts

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
    Power of the Dog
    The Two Faces of January 
    ITonya
    Apocolypse Now
    On the Waterfront
    The Mule
    Whatever Happened to Baby Jane
    Sicario
    The Keeper
    Black Box
    Whisky Galore
    Mr Jones
    My Summer of Love
    Persian Lessons
    Twelve Monkeys
    The Wonder Boys
    A Simple Plan
    Bringing Up Baby
    Citizen Kane

Watched '12 Monkeys' at the weekend. Good fillum. I saw at the pictures when it first came out, but didn't really remember much of it on re-watching. Not sure about the Brad Pitt character, I don't think he is very convincing and doesn't suit the role in my opinion. Apart from that it's worth watching.

The  week before I watched Kick Ass, and Kick Ass 2, also on iplayer. Both enjoyable if you like something a bit silly.

Moonlight is also on iplayer, oscars winner, but I gave up after about 10 mins. Not my kind of thing.