Replica Les Paul rebuild

What's Hot

Comments

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    edited August 2021
    Dumb question, can you give the bleaching a second pass or is it a one-time activity?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    You can do a second pass, but I don't think it would do much more here
    I was spraying a few other bits today so decided to do a test burst to see how well this will be hidden.   Wouldn't normally do finishing before the neck is on, but I needed to know how successful this fill has been.

gone for a nice honeyburst for this, a little bit of red analine that will fade out a bit.   

good angle - no parts, inside

bad angle - no parts - inside

Good angle, with parts - outside

Bad angle - parts - outside

pretty darn close 

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1336
    edited August 2021
    With the pickguard on, the hole doesn't really stand out that much. It would be a shame to darken the burst to try and hide it when it's not prominent. I think the grain marks also look fine, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so depends what the owner thinks!

I love the colour and well applied burst!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    So skillful! Always worth a look at your threads. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2021
    davros  said:
    With the pickguard on, the hole doesn't really stand out that much. It would be a shame to darken the burst to try and hide it when it's not prominent. I think the grain marks also look fine, but I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so depends what the owner thinks!

I love the colour and well applied burst!

I'm very happy with how it looks.  I think its comparable with those who do this kind of thing on proper Gibson husks and conversions. The aim is rarely to get it invisible with repairs like this, just get it close enough so it blends in.... most don't show you the unfavourable angles side by side like this

I may still reshoot the burst if this one doesn't survive the rest of the process intact, but now I know we are in a good place to continue.

• normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    Cracking job Wez
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    Genius at work.

Brilliant imagination, skills and technique Wez - as we're used to.  Thanks for sharing it all here.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • To my mind, entirely uneducated in the ways of woodworking and luthiery, hiding a hole like that to any real degree seems impossible, but that looks incredible. The attention to detail in matching the grain is impressive.

Would it not be possible, either instead of or in addition to the bleaching, to darken the plug to match the original wood more closely? Or is that just going to result in making the plug stand out even more?
    To my mind, entirely uneducated in the ways of woodworking and luthiery, hiding a hole like that to any real degree seems impossible, but that looks incredible. The attention to detail in matching the grain is impressive.

Would it not be possible, either instead of or in addition to the bleaching, to darken the plug to match the original wood more closely? Or is that just going to result in making the plug stand out even more?
    It's possible, but yes, risky.

Also possible to do some wood graining in the finish.   The problem with that is you can get it looking great, but can't guarantee it will age at the same rate as the rest.... a good wood match is always safest in the long run
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    Hi Wez, I think it looks brilliant and the plug really isn't an issue.  Have you ever seen the PRS Howard Leese guitar where the top was from an old cabinet, so they had to plug the knob hole in it.
    See the source image

Yours is much more hidden that that.
    Yes, I had forgotten about that one.

The aim is to get the eye to pass over the repair, which I have definitely achieved.   Obviously in a thread like this the repair is the subject matter, so we all know exactly where it is and see it straight away.

• tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    edited August 2021
    It's true that we all now know the shape and position so are going to be drawn to it. 
    When you think this is on a flame top the chances of matching grain, flame and flame-depth - it takes a high degree of craftsmanship to know which battles to pick and a high level of artistry to make the winnable battles work. 

If spotted at all, it looks like an artefact in the wood 1 

• GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2351
    tFB Trader
    Been there done that, drill coming out of the body where you don't want it too.

Apart from those little cock ups, it would've been a lovely guitar, it now sits in the corner of the workshop in disgrace.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1336
    I've been extremely lucky so far, this one was an incredibly near miss.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @GSPBASSES ... I'm sure many would take it as a B stock project.

@davros my recent TV yellow DC guitar wasn't far off that in the cavity.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    [Shrug] It’s a ((largely) hand made/finished object made from natural materials, and, in this case (like the Howard Leese PRS a bit further up the thread) there’s a back story.

Obviously you don’t want these things leaping right out at you but I’m very much inclined to put this in the category of things to be enjoyed for what they are rather than stressed over for what they’re not and a well executed but inconspicuously visible fix like this adds a little bit of charm to the package…
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    @WezV I do admire your level headed workings. Honestly, it's one of the main pulls of this forum.  The way you can find the time and rationalize stuff, put your hands together and just do, despite all the family and adverse commitments you must have, without ever asking or implying that anyone wipe your arse for you or ever needing to escape into the never world because it all becomes too much.  I really do feel you should teach.  Have you looked at a career change of late?
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    I left teaching 10 years ago, so that's out :D 

I do feel a career change coming, but it probably won't be guitar related.   I do this to keep me sane 
  • HottubesHottubes Frets: 394
    Good work there Wez, who had it before the butcher of Baghdad !!