Replica Les Paul rebuild

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16742
    Thanks @SteveRobinson, I will message you 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Thanks to Steve we have some binding which is much closer to the right colour.

I also need some torty side dots, so have punched a load from some plectrums

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 7060
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    I also need some torty side dots, so have punched a load from some plectrums
    Are you going to paint the back of each dot white to brighten them up as Damien Probett does? I thought about doing that on my current build but decided it would be just too fiddly.
    I probably would if I was drilling through to rosewood, but since the binding is thicker than the plectrums I will just keep the holes shallow.

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    WezV said:
    Tenon is cut, just some final fitting around the heel to do.

That looks fabulous!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That shows off the really nice carve.
    Back to this now, neck has been on and fretted for a couple of months.

I mixed up a really nice 2:1 tobacco/red analine mix for the back of this, but it left the top burst i had done previously looking a bit anemic in comparison, so I shot a little extra there too. The plan is to fade it out a bit if I have time.

Onto clear.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1486
    It's looking great Wez.  I always liked the chevron flame on this top.  I think it is Sycamore, not maple, but it really comes out well in this shade.  Originally it was a faded cherry finish, more of a tan really.  With the back taken off to lighten it, the tobacco burst was an effort to hide the rear joint.
    Yeah  I've kept a certain amount of tobacco to make sure the mahogany is a consistent colour all over, but not necessarily hide joins, or wood flaws on the edge of the top.  Not hidden, but doesn't jump out either.

it is looking good, not too obvious, unless you know it is there.  I hadn't realised that there is a bit of flame in the back!
    Exactly.  Just like the burst on top, the dark finish was hiding a lot of good stuff.
    this has now had most of its clear coats and it cured enough to handle. It will cure for a week for most of the sinking in to happen, then get levelled before received a final few light coats.  Then another few weeks curing before its finally buffed out.

I decided to put parts on as it cures to help with colour fade, ended up putting them all on and stringing it up

Start point

Now

0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • davrosdavros Frets: 1351
    That's a lovely burst!
    That's looking amazing Wez.  The flame really comes out in the new finish.  The darker fingerboard also sets it off nicely.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7788
    edited May 2022
    Finish faded fast. Specific non-colourfast dyes?
    Yeah,  red analine.   I've not even put it in direct sunlight
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    PhilKing said:
    It's looking great Wez.  I always liked the chevron flame on this top.  I think it is Sycamore, not maple, but it really comes out well in this shade.  Originally it was a faded cherry finish, more of a tan really.  With the back taken off to lighten it, the tobacco burst was an effort to hide the rear joint.

I always thought sycamore was maple?
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30932
    PhilKing said:

Sycamore and Maple are both part of the Soapberry family of trees. Sycamore is a fair bit softer than maple.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3824
    Gassage said:
    PhilKing said:

Sycamore and Maple are both part of the Soapberry family of trees. Sycamore is a fair bit softer than maple.

Ah, thanks. There doesn't seem to be a lot of logic in how they name these things.
    edited May 2022
    The confusion comes because sycamore in America is not any relation to maple. 

In the US sycamore is a plane tree.  They call the tree we call sycamore European Maple, which is exactly the wood used on all those old classical instruments that Gibson copied when using flamed maple on their instruments.

Its a little softer than rock maple, but not that soft really.  Pretty comparable to quilted/big leaf maple.