Loopers advice - school me

What's Hot
littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5073
I love a good bit of ambient-y type messing around so a looper is likely my next purchase.

Answers on a postcard, or better still, in a post below.
littlegreenman < My tunes here...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Just bought myself a TC Electronic Ditto. 

Tries to make a virtue of simplicity, so might not be to everyone's taste. 

As a result it's got very basic features, is very simple to use, and I'm really enjoying it so far. £79 I paid. 

Small too. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2014
    The single pedal ditto is great to get started with. I've also got the X2 which adds a backwards function and half speed, so fun for ambient stuff. At the other end of the market there's the Boomerang and that Pigtronic Infinity looper which look fantastic, but you'd need to be into it seriously (or have a decent disposable income ;-)

• What's the loop time on a Ditto? And how many lops can you add before it starts to degrade the sound quality?
    5 mins loop time, but unlimited overdubs. It'll get crowded rather than loose quality.
  • 5 mins loop time, but unlimited overdubs. It'll get crowded rather than loose quality.
    Hmmm, interesting.

And I finish work at 3 tomorrow, only 10 minutes away from Dawsons who stock such a thing usually.

Expect a NPD tomorrow! :D
    There's a limited edition gold one out as well ;-)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    The Ditto loopers are great but you need to perfect your timing .. the Boss RC range are worth looking at. My Boss RC XL20 automatically starts recording when it hears audio and having two switches makes it easier to use. My Ditto X2 is less forgiving. If you're new to looping then don't discount Boss.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    edited August 2014
    I picked up a Hotone Wally for £65 from Thomann, 15min loop time, volume adjust, pitch shifting and infniite overdub. So it has quite a few features for the price.

It's tiny, it's cheap (er) than most, it draws only 35mA (Ditto draws 100mA), Ditto x2 draws 150mA.

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065

• NPD :) With a row of little stubby's for scale.

https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10592763_10203043252574470_1586188359950297517_n.jpg

Does exactly what it says on the tin, very pleased. @Fretwired, I hear you about the timing thing but I see having to keep better time as a bonus to the pedal, you have fun and improve your playing at the same time. win/win.

I'll post some loopy  noodlings once I've got more used to it.

btw, does the USB port do anything besides update firmware does anyone know?
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    @fretwired makes a good point about timing.

So far I've found I'm far better at getting things in sync with the ditto than my previous loop pedal. That was the Digitech Digidelay which could only be activated by stepping on and off the clunky footswitch. The Ditto feels far more natural and forgiving.

Anyway happy NPD!

With every looper you have to get the timing practiced, that's essential. On the Boss RC-20xl I actually preferred not to use the auto start, I was more comfortable timing my end of loop stomp if I'd stomped the first one. I did like the option to have a fade out ending, while still being able to play over it (so the backing would fade out rather than just an abrupt stop).
    The USB on the Ditto is just for future firmware updates. On the x2 you can add from or copy to your PC via USB which is pretty cool.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    Welcome to the looper fraternity @littlegreenman.

It does take a bit of practice to get your timing and co-ordination sorted with a looper pedal. I gave some tips on what I've learned about it on another thread here. Hope it's of some help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    @littlegreenman ... glad you got a Ditto looper .. for the money they are by far the best and you're spot on about improving your timing. Enjoy.

• The USB on the Ditto is just for future firmware updates.
    Have a wiz. :)
    On the x2 you can add from or copy to your PC via USB which is pretty cool.
    I was tempted by the X2 (had more knobs, oo-er), but decided to save the extra £50 and see if a looper was something I'd actually use so went for the cheaper option. If I get on with it I'll probably flip the mini and get the X2 in a few months. PC compatabilty sounds pretty darn useful.
    edited August 2014
    Good advice for looping is to play the pattern that'll be your first recorded loop without recording. Then on the second pass start recording. That'll make the end/start transition neater rather than going straight in and recording the first pass from rest. I hope that makes sense!
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Boss RC3 is good
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3377
    edited August 2014
    I've got a Ditto on my board for demoing parts, harmonies, and stuff at rehearsals. Once you're used to it, the main annoyance is clearing a stopped loop: it bleeds a couple of seconds of audio until it realises what you want to do.

I've got a Boomerang for anything more serious ;)
    Loopers are also good at gigs as you can play something at the soundcheck and then go and stand where the audience will be and get a sense of the mix/levels etc.