Loopers advice - school me

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited August 2014
    I've got a Ditto on my board for demoing parts, harmonies, and stuff at rehearsals. Once you're used to it, the main annoyance is clearing a stopped loop: it bleeds a couple of seconds of audio until it realises what you want to do.

I've got a Boomerang for anything more serious ;)

Stomp once, then quickly stomp a second time but (this is the important bit) hold that second stomp down. That avoids the audio coming back for those couple of seconds (but it will erase the loop so you can't bring it back).
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Stomp once, then quickly stomp a second time but (this is the important bit) hold that second stomp down. That avoids the audio coming back for those couple of seconds (but it will erase the loop so you can't bring it back).
    Yep...I've got that down...but if you've already stopped the loop, you can't clear it without a little audio blip, right?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73235
    Akai Headrush E2 for quality and ease of use, ZVex Lo-Fi Loop Junky for creativity and, er… lo-fi-ness :).

I had both but couldn't really justify two, so I sold…

… the Headrush.

I just find the ZVex more inspiring somehow. It's probably an acquired taste and isn't cheap though.

The Headrush is quite big too - although that's an advantage in some ways because it's easier to hit the buttons when you're not looking straight at it. It does straight delay for when you get bored with looping, and it will run on a standard 9V supply. And KT Tunstall uses one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Stomp once, then quickly stomp a second time but (this is the important bit) hold that second stomp down. That avoids the audio coming back for those couple of seconds (but it will erase the loop so you can't bring it back).
    Yep...I've got that down...but if you've already stopped the loop, you can't clear it without a little audio blip, right?

If you've already stopped it then yeah, that's unavoidable. TC say it's the only way a single button looper can work, I've not tried any other single button one but it makes sense. it's a trade off between the tiny footprint and that one drawback.
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1276
    The Digitech JamMan Solo XT does the same thing. The only way around it is to bend down and turn the loop volume to zero before erasing and then back up to normal once you're done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Good plan...yeah, you can't have everything ;)
  • OK, had my first proper session with the Ditto. I seem to be managing the whole "stomp on the one" thing, which is nice.

There's definitely a teeny bit of tonal difference when it's on compared to the TB tone, but I'm not bothered by that.

It does get swamped if you do "lots" of overdubs, just like delays do, but again I can live with that.

Very happy with the purchase so far, just managed a one man band version of Watermelon in Easter Hay (quick unplug/plug to add the Bass part). :D
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5073
    edited August 2014
    I also like the Paul Gilbert "mod"!!! :p

littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I picked up a Hotone Wally for £65 from Thomann, 15min loop time, volume adjust, pitch shifting and infniite overdub. So it has quite a few features for the price.

It's tiny, it's cheap (er) than most, it draws only 35mA (Ditto draws 100mA), Ditto x2 draws 150mA.

I'm looking to get my first looper pedal and I think its going to be between the Ditto and the Wally. Have you compared the two?
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Wally looks great, but my shoes are too big :(

Good job my Fiancee doesn't mind ;D
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12065
    I picked up a Hotone Wally for £65 from Thomann, 15min loop time, volume adjust, pitch shifting and infniite overdub. So it has quite a few features for the price.

It's tiny, it's cheap (er) than most, it draws only 35mA (Ditto draws 100mA), Ditto x2 draws 150mA.

I'm looking to get my first looper pedal and I think its going to be between the Ditto and the Wally. Have you compared the two?
    I have not compared them, but I don't gig so just want a simple looper that loops and this is also cheaper.