SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Fender International Colours?

What's Hot
19831983 Frets: 29
Hey!

Just a feeler in case anyone out there got any early 80s strats/teles in international colours for sale? 

Sahara Toupe would be cool, but keen to hear what’s out there. 

Thanks!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12741
    Saw an 80 sahara taupe strat in a shop in portsmouth a couple of weeks ago, was pricy at £2k and was heavy - good condition though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73920
    StefB said:
    Looks like the Strat has a much thicker clear coat and/or has been exposed to light a lot more. The clear coat goes yellow and makes the blue look much more green.

The Tele is far closer to the original colour, which is visible where there's been a sticker on the body covering a chip.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 19831983 Frets: 29
    StefB said:
    Thanks!

yes, I've seen these, but they were unsure the tele had the original finish and the Strat was a little too heavy! 

munckee said:
    Saw an 80 sahara taupe strat in a shop in portsmouth a couple of weeks ago, was pricy at £2k and was heavy - good condition though.
    oooh! do you remember the name of the shop?
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 171
    The Tele's colour looks too light to me. I used to sell these brand new, and have owned one. They were always great guitars, if usually on the heavy side. X-1 bridge p/up in a Strat and excellent playability. Fender were starting to get it right, but were in a tailspin, it seems. The Strat on the link looks about the right colour for 40 years of age, just my opinion. FYI Sahara Taupe was a hard sell, we couldn't shift them back then!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    The shop is called The Guitar Centre in Southsea, I take all my guitars there for any work that needs doing it's a nice old fashioned guitar shop.  The guitar was a 79 thinking about it.  Has been there a while so might be worth an offer.
    ICBM said:
    StefB said:
    Looks like the Strat has a much thicker clear coat and/or has been exposed to light a lot more. The clear coat goes yellow and makes the blue look much more green.

The Tele is far closer to the original colour, which is visible where there's been a sticker on the body covering a chip.
    gotcha! so perhaps that shade of blue isn't a refin?
    Maui Blue goes very greeny/aqua - lovely colour.
    munckee said:
    The shop is called The Guitar Centre in Southsea, I take all my guitars there for any work that needs doing it's a nice old fashioned guitar shop.  The guitar was a 79 thinking about it.  Has been there a while so might be worth an offer.
    Thanks man! I'll try them and see what they say! 

Zoonyboy said:
    The Tele's colour looks too light to me. I used to sell these brand new, and have owned one. They were always great guitars, if usually on the heavy side. X-1 bridge p/up in a Strat and excellent playability. Fender were starting to get it right, but were in a tailspin, it seems. The Strat on the link looks about the right colour for 40 years of age, just my opinion. FYI Sahara Taupe was a hard sell, we couldn't shift them back then!
    Amazing! Yes they seem to be heavier from what I can tell!
  • SparksSparks Frets: 30
    That Strat badly needs some aged white pickup covers and knobs, in my humble opinion
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 15019
    1983 said:
    Sahara Toupee
    Flagged for blatantly plugging hair extension products. :grin:
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I think there may be a black hardtail in Some Neck Guitars in Dublin, they are advertising as changed plate and it being a 78.  But from the pix it looks like an Int Colours.  Looking £1300 for it, almost tempted myself lol
    Be careful out there.....
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24933
    If my memory serves me correctly, the International Colours were introduced in 1981. I owned a sunburst 1980 Strat which had an S9 serial number - so you can’t rely on that as an accurate indicator of age.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • They can be found with 78/79 serials, they were just using up the old parts/decals.   
    Be careful out there.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2464
    I had one with 79 parts. It was the Olympic White one with the black plastics a la Richie Blackmore but with maple neck. It was a goodie. Pickups were very Strat and with good output but not hot. I don’t remember it being very heavy. 
    If my memory serves me correctly, the International Colours were introduced in 1981. I owned a sunburst 1980 Strat which had an S9 serial number - so you can’t rely on that as an accurate indicator of age.
    That’s a good bit of info. I’ve read that they were introduced in 81, but a lot of the ones for sale have been advertised as anything from 78-81. Thanks for the tip!
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24933
    edited August 2021
    1983 said:
    That’s a good bit of info. I’ve read that they were introduced in 81, but a lot of the ones for sale have been advertised as anything from 78-81. Thanks for the tip!
    I think it’s either a lack of knowledge or being able to say ‘70s’ adding extra desirability. It’s quite likely that they were produced to shift the remaining badly contoured bodies and large headstock necks, before the ‘Dan Smith’ Strat was introduced (which were the final Fullerton ‘non-reissue’ guitars before the ‘two knob’ Strat was unleashed on the world). In that sense, some of the parts may be late 70s - but as far as I can recall, the finished instruments left the factory in ‘81.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Any of these around? Still looking. Thanks 
  • ZoonyboyZoonyboy Frets: 171
    Check out the Fender catalogues of the time. The pearl then silver 25th anniversary Strat was the first sign of some sense from Fender regarding anything to do with vintage being preferable. There was the International series, which I used to sell new at the time, in response to customer demand for white pick guards and coloured bodies. Mostly they were heavy, but well made, with X-1 bridge pickups. Straight necks! Then The Strat in blue or red metallic, and the Walnut Strat and gold Strat, smaller but wrong headstock shapes, even heavier, and then the better Dan Smith models. By then it was a tailspin and too little too late. Those serial numbers on the decals are very unreliable in dating the year. There was a run of "new" standard colours in the 80s on regular Fenders, just before it all went Dan Smith and pear shaped. Three different variation sunbursts, plus trans wine red, etc. You can see these advertised as 78/79 but they are not. Every time the rep came in there was a new range. They almost got it right, but I must say that some of the last ones made in Fullerton were pretty good, especially the 57 and 62 re-issues. I would say take them at face value and enjoy!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom