My OCD...

What's Hot
Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
No, not the pedal.

My OCD is that I cannot stand to look at sideways pedals. It looks guff and drives me batty!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10061
    How do you know that landscape orientation pedals are sideways? Maybe the portrait orientation is actually sideways. I don't suppose anybody has ever asked them what they prefer
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I know what you mean Drew, the Distortron throws me, cos the LED is in the wrong place.

Love the pedal's sounds, but the LED placement is annoying me.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7362
    ...never seen any Sideways pedals... where they made?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I can't even have half settings on my amp.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    i have OCD with settings...all my dials on pedals and amps have to be in 1 or 4 spots only...if i find a setting i like thats between, then I either round it up or down to the next quarter. There has seriously been times when a pedal has not worked that way...and i've sold it!

the only exception to the rule is setting at 1 o'clock...i can handle that...
    samzadgan said:
    i have OCD with settings...all my dials on pedals and amps have to be in 1 or 4 spots only...if i find a setting i like thats between, then I either round it up or down to the next quarter. There has seriously been times when a pedal has not worked that way...and i've sold it!

I'm so glad that I'm not the only one!
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

samzadgan said:

ha! I'm like that with mixer levels. They have to be a 1dB increments, none of this floating point shit!!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    mike_l said:

I know what you mean Drew, the Distortron throws me, cos the LED is in the wrong place.

Zvex pedals do my head in

I like how they sound, but the physical design is just daft. 

I'd probably have a Distortron on my board now if it wasn't for the stupid sideways case.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mike_l said:

I'd probably have a Distortron on my board now if it wasn't for the stupid sideways case.

Exactly the same reason I got rid of my amp11. One of the best compact drives on the market but i hated the sideways thing!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:

I don't see it as "sideways" as the wording is (as good as) parrallel to the bottom of the pedal. So when you look at the pedal it's readable. If it was unreadable, then I get really agitated with them.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73235
    Not only do they have to be the right way round, on mine I've changed the LEDs to match the pedal colour (or at least close) and linked them with coloured patch cables which more or less match one of the pedals they're between :).

The LED thing at least has some practical value because you can tell what they are on a very dark stage, but I have to admit that's a bit of an excuse I had to think up ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    Not only do they have to be the right way round, on mine I've changed the LEDs to match the pedal colour (or at least close) and linked them with coloured patch cables which more or less match one of the pedals they're between :).

The LED thing at least has some practical value because you can tell what they are on a very dark stage, but I have to admit that's a bit of an excuse I had to think up ;).
    OCDBM ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    Mmmm. I've started running my Spark booster sideways because I can adjust both the volume and the treble with my foot when it's like that. I would prefer the look of my pedalboard with it vertical, but I'm going with function over looks.
  • My Moore Hustle Drive is mounted diagonally atm as I can't fit it any other way.

:((

Hopefully that'll be fixed come next board reshuffle. Got a Fuzz Factory incoming.

:))
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1209
    I love my ZVex Super Duper. It pretty much needs to be 'sideways,' as the two switches would be too close in vertical/portrait layout. I only tend to use one or two pedals, when i do, anyway.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8505
    Drew_fx;317204" said:
    ha! I'm like that with mixer levels. They have to be a 1dB increments, none of this floating point shit!!
    You should only work in 6db increments then - IIRC a 6db increase just moves every bit value one digit along. Then you can avoid the horrible inaccuracy of a modern DAW's typically 64 bit internal engine that's a mere 18,446,744,073,709,551,615 descrete amplitude values - you can hear the steps!  :))
  • kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156

Input / output jacks the wrong way round REALLY gets my goat.  My main current drive is a Zinky True Grit which sounds absolutely perfect but the input is on the left and output is on the right, which is really starting to become a deal breaker.

I have a couple of vertically oriented "always on" pedals that I mount sideways so they fit better though.  Sorry

• Drew_fx said:
    No, not the pedal.

My OCD is that I cannot stand to look at sideways pedals. It looks guff and drives me batty!

But it can be useful at times.

I have my ISP Decimator sideways.  When it was orientated 'correctly' I had a really quite unlucky experience where my cable brushed past it as I was moving around, knocking the threshold to a setting that cut off my guitar completely.  Turned sideways I've never had the issue again, plus it is an 'always on' pedal anyway.

urggghhh... desire to turn it around is strong... must resssiiissttt...