New (Old) Amp Day: Knackered Selmer Zodiac Twin Fifty

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    The Selmer Zodiac Twin 30 was actually the crunchy sounding amp used on The White Stripes Elephant, not the Silvertone he's more typically associated with.

Did the Twin 50 just sound like a louder version of the same kind of sound?
    It's very similar, but louder, cleaner and harder-sounding when it does break up.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3500
    Thats lovely, the glue removal can be done with a random orbital sander, it will also remove any patina in the wood though. I wouldnt bother with chemical removal, too messy and a long drawn out process.
    Its already lost its original coat so whatever you dress it in wont be original, why not dress it up in something else? It wont have the patina of the tolex that you removed either no matter what you put on it. You could go down the tolex route, you could go down the material (twill) route, or you could leave it as bare wood, you have lots of options either of which will look lovely.
    However you dress it, it will always be a lovely old amp.  
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    edited February 18
    Reading this thread makes me quite sad as I foolishly sold my late Dad’s Twin 30 (or actually swapped it for a really early Les Paul Classic) - he was still alive at the time (late 90’s)and said just get rid of the bloody thing, I don’t want it!! Still got his Gretsch fortunately!!

It was a very early one with the pre-Rola Celestions, all original, working tremelo with the knight rider on the front. It was my 1st hand me down gigging amp in a Welsh Indie band. Still remember it frightening the shit out of me as it used to pop and bang on start-up, just needed new valves and a service - I used to turn it on using a broom handle!!! Got it serviced and it sounded lovely and was bang/crackle free, seem to remember Contra Bass and High Treble being pushed in together giving the best tone on it and also being impossible to overdrive it without interfering with a space station!!

I swapped it with some guy called Glenn from down Plymouth way somewhere, I think it got shipped out to the States somewhere, dream would be to find it and buy it back……probably way outside what I could afford now….

Great Memories