NAD: Friedman Brown Eye

What's Hot
firks91firks91 Frets: 104
So.... GAS took a hold of me and i ended up doing buy now pay later on a brown eye! 
i actually got it yesterday but ive only had chance to try it at a low volume thus far. seems to sound pretty great at very low volume volume but its nothing mind blowing. im sure though when i crank it at tonights gig i will be suitably impressed.....well i hope anyway! LOL. 

the craftsmanship is excellent as you would expect from an amp of this value. looks stunning.

to past and present BE owners, what speakers have you/do you run with the amp? 
im using v30's in a fatboy cab at the moment, but ive had thoughts about v30/creamback mix prior to getting this amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• leerockerleerocker Frets: 610
    creambacks sound great with them , running stock v30s at the moment in my friedman cab but will be getting some creambacks in the near future

Congrats on the amp , im sure you will like it , love mine!
  • firks91firks91 Frets: 104
    cheers man! 

yeah i want to try a creamback or 2. im fancying a little change from the v30. dont know how well a creamback and v30 would work with each other though.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    i run my Taco with Creambacks, V30s and 75s and to be honest they all sound good...

The Green/Creamback mix with a V30 seems to be a fave with the Friedman crowd though

• Scumback M75. Total match. Other than that what Rik said.
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    edited August 2014
    Using a Pair of V30s myself.. but thinking of a cab change so might with the V30/Greenback combo Dave recommends.

Make sure you give us an update tomorrow after the gig. 
    Hmmm interesting, cheers guys. the greenback/v30 mix has my slightly confused about how they are set up because i thought there would be an issue with the greenbacks being so much less powerful than the v30, therefore creating an even balance of tone between them? 

yes i shall do Si! 
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    I love V30's and have used them with all my amps for years, but didn't like my smallbox50 with them.
    I tried the greenback / V30 mix in a Mills Acoustics Mach 212B and found that the V30 somewhat dominated the greenback - not necessarily louder but much more prominent.
    So I put another greenback in there and it sounds fantastic with the smallbox.
    A little looser and really brings the plexi channel to life. :-)
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5902
    That's a NAD and a half, nice choice!
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    The problem with 2 Greenbacks in a 2x12 is lack of power, even 4 in a 4x12 is barely 100W power handling, too little really for a 100w head which is why people usually mix them with v30s
  • slateslate Frets: 89
    edited August 2014
    Si_;322122" said:
    The problem with 2 Greenbacks in a 2x12 is lack of power, even 4 in a 4x12 is barely 100W power handling, too little really for a 100w head which is why people usually mix them with v30s
    good point, but i read on celestions website that the total power handling when mixing speakers is calculated by the multiplying the rating of the lowest rated speaker by the total number of speakers in the cab?
    Not sure if that's correct, but that would make a 412 with 2 V30's and 2 greenbacks still only 100w rating wouldn't it?
    @ICBM will know :)
  • karltonekarltone Frets: 62
    edited August 2014
    It is 4 x the lowest rated speaker, so it would be a 100 watt rating  which would be fine with a 100 watt amp. Obviously the greenbacks would be working harder and distorting quicker.
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    But, don't most amps peak well above their rated value, I know a 100w amp will peak a LOT more than 100w, wouldn't that blow the speakers? (Assuming you actually turned it up that loud)
  • karltonekarltone Frets: 62
    Yeah but the rating is a conservative rating. Take for instance the EVH 5150 100 Limted Edition amp & cab it only has 4 EVH (greenies) speakers in.
    www.karltone.co.uk    Dealer in Valves and bits and bobs   www.facebook.com/karltonevalves
    That's a NAD and a half, nice choice!
    cheers! :)
    well i used it last night. venue's sound wasnt great so i cant be too analytical but from what i could hear it has real balls! plenty of low end but its nice and tight. the overdrive is pretty much just what im after, proper ballsy crunch. theres a shite load of gain on tap too. if anything, its a tad hard not to have an aggressive gainy tone haha. its awesome though.

the clean seems very nice too although i think i have a bit of experimentation ahead of me. i liked the sound of the bright switch in the middle and took out bass and treble. sounded great but got a bit lost in the mix. perhaps i'll be better suited with the bright switch elsewhere. 

didnt try the other switches much. i prefer the voice switch and sat switch off for the BE channel. c45 needs more experimentation. 

im still thinking about a creamback/v30 mix or a pair of creambacks though.
    cant wait to experiment with it more at tomorrows gig! (dont get chance any other time!)
    firks91 said:
    well i used it last night. venue's sound wasnt great so i cant be too analytical but from what i could hear it has real balls! plenty of low end but its nice and tight. the overdrive is pretty much just what im after, proper ballsy crunch. theres a shite load of gain on tap too. if anything, its a tad hard not to have an aggressive gainy tone haha. its awesome though.

the clean seems very nice too although i think i have a bit of experimentation ahead of me. i liked the sound of the bright switch in the middle and took out bass and treble. sounded great but got a bit lost in the mix. perhaps i'll be better suited with the bright switch elsewhere. 

didnt try the other switches much. i prefer the voice switch and sat switch off for the BE channel. c45 needs more experimentation. 

im still thinking about a creamback/v30 mix or a pair of creambacks though.
    If your using humbuckers, bright switch on to the right, mine never gets lost in the mix 
    yeah had a quick go of the 3 positions. the middle was the most pleasing to my ear as it had the fullest, warmest sound. when i found it wasnt quite cutting it was too late then to change and eq to suite the bright switch. i shall have to give the right selection a good go tomorrow!
    firks91 said:
    yeah had a quick go of the 3 positions. the middle was the most pleasing to my ear as it had the fullest, warmest sound. when i found it wasnt quite cutting it was too late then to change and eq to suite the bright switch. i shall have to give the right selection a good go tomorrow!
    Mine cuts fine, its the only amp ive had that sits in the mix perfect on all channels, and the small box too is fantastic