Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Can we spot future classics???

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    I've said it before and I'll say it again 2015 Gibson Les Pauls. 

The funny logo and the hologram will be desired in years to come. Ones which have the original robot tuners still there along with the gold case will command the most.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    In the other corner.

I think we will see recently made far eastern made 'copies' of some things start to fetch high prices.

For example Vintage (brand) Explorers that were made before they (supposedly) had a cease and desist from Gibson are going for decent money.

I've a Harley Benton SG Custom (white 3 pickup jobbie) which is before they changed the shape of them (supposedly another cease and desist) I've had people give me some silly offers on that. 

I'm predicting that we will have another round of "these Chinese guitars made in the 2010's were Gibson/Fender killers"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    gubble said:

The funny logo and the hologram will be desired in years to come. Ones which have the original robot tuners still there along with the gold case will command the most.
    Personally I think they’ll be about as desirable as 1983-84 Fender USA Standard Strats, for the same reasons… weird neck profiles that only a few people like, hardware which often breaks and spare parts are almost impossible to find for, and they just don’t look right.

Aside from collectors who must have rare examples no matter how awful they are, I don’t think anyone will be interested in them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Aside from collectors who must have rare examples no matter how awful they are, I don’t think anyone will be interested in them.
    The way the guitar market is nowadays - a combination of the majority of guitars being decent musical instruments and the fact most players now have several guitars I think a lot of the future classics will be based on their collectable value/status rather than anything else.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    gubble said:

Personally I think they’ll be about as desirable as 1983-84 Fender USA Standard Strats, for the same reasons… weird neck profiles that only a few people like, hardware which often breaks and spare parts are almost impossible to find for, and they just don’t look right.

Weirdly, I’ve just got one. A friend was selling a few (all different models/years) - it was the only one I liked, and I have only played about 3 LPs I liked the feel of anyway, never thought I’d own one, but it’s a great guitar. Luckily the tuners have been replaced with standard ones….and yes, the hologram is crap
  • ICBM said:
    gubble said:

Weirdly, I’ve just got one. A friend was selling a few (all different models/years) - it was the only one I liked, and I have only played about 3 LPs I liked the feel of anyway, never thought I’d own one, but it’s a great guitar. Luckily the tuners have been replaced with standard ones….and yes, the hologram is crap
    Hmm, cut half my reply! I thought the hologram was a sticker!!
  • Giving up-keeps losing my text on the phone. Anyway, it’s a great guitar!
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1504
    edited December 2021
    gubble said:
    The way the guitar market is nowadays - a combination of the majority of guitars being decent musical instruments and the fact most players now have several guitars I think a lot of the future classics will be based on their collectable value/status rather than anything else.
    Couldn’t agree more. Last year I got a Samick/Greg Bennett LP clone as a birthday present - first new guitar in 30 years - and I was astonished at the quality/price ratio. Solid mahogany body, maple top, set in neck, decent tuners and pickups… made in Indonesia. 

I think that kind of money would have bought me an unplayable chunk of lacquered chipboard with strings 30 years ago!

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Interesting discussion ... it prompted me to pose the question on the web,  'what makes a future classic?' ... and these popped out:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/is4ictkgu10o3dq/AAA1p8tDk_2xJ88eVdr9lu_fa?dl=0

https://word-power.co.uk/is-this-the-future-of-the-guitar/

https://reverb.com/news/what-will-be-the-collectable-guitars-of-the-future

A million opinions ... all valid I guess ... but the bottom line is that there's nowt as queer as folk, so it's a complete lottery!

Stu
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72360
    Vibetronic said:

Luckily the tuners have been replaced with standard ones….and yes, the hologram is crap
    I either don't care about the hologram or actually like it, I can't decide which... it's the Leo Baulioo squiggle which would need to go before I would own one. Although I wouldn't, because I detest the wide neck anyway.

If you actually like the neck width then I can see an argument for fitting new tuners, a normal nut, and refinishing the headstock with a Les Paul Model decal, but I can't believe they'll ever be more desirable than a standard model.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein