Chili's fans - Specifically Blood Sugar album

What's Hot

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10603

For anyone who wants to hear the isolated stems download the Rock Band \ Guitar Hero Mogg files and open them in the free DAW Audacity. You can then solo what bits you want - very enlightening and invaluable to people like us who often need to work out guitar parts with a high degree of accuracy. Most tracks are :

overheads
    kicks 
    Snare
    Bass
    Guitars
    Vox
    Incidental bits like harmonies \ solos \ effects
    2 x tracks of fake crowd noise 

I have a huge collection I have DL'ed whenever they have appeared
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2385
    RHCP without JF is just... not the same. Y'know when a personality departs a band, even though their replacement may sound the same you still have that "but it's not John Frusciante" in the back of the mind. JF is the man I always associate to the guitarring of RHCP even when Navarro was in the band... 
    Agree with that, but for me it also wasn't the same after he left and came back. Californication was 'OK', but then he got totally up his own arse, I remember reading an interview with him about how he purposely then tried to play really complex parts so people couldn't work out exactly how he was playing things, very weird.

I gave up on the new material, I listened to a few tracks on Stadium Arcadium and didn't want to hear any more, it felt like they were trying their hardest to be funky again, terrible. 

I quite liked the Navarro stint, I liked his take on the BSSM tracks too, the Reading 1994 live bootleg is fantastic (warped aside!) :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MazzaGMazzaG Frets: 82
    PVO_Dave said:
    RHCP without JF is just... not the same. Y'know when a personality departs a band, even though their replacement may sound the same you still have that "but it's not John Frusciante" in the back of the mind. JF is the man I always associate to the guitarring of RHCP even when Navarro was in the band... 
    Agree with that, but for me it also wasn't the same after he left and came back. Californication was 'OK', but then he got totally up his own arse, I remember reading an interview with him about how he purposely then tried to play really complex parts so people couldn't work out exactly how he was playing things, very weird.

I gave up on the new material, I listened to a few tracks on Stadium Arcadium and didn't want to hear any more, it felt like they were trying their hardest to be funky again, terrible. 

I quite liked the Navarro stint, I liked his take on the BSSM tracks too, the Reading 1994 live bootleg is fantastic (warped aside!) :)
    I think OHM is one of their best albums, very dark and probably Anthony Kiedis best vocal performance.

I think a LOT of credit needs to be given to Slovak though, listening to Mother's Milk you can hear just how much he influenced Frusciante.
    MazzaG said:

I think OHM is one of their best albums, very dark and probably Anthony Kiedis best vocal performance.

I think a LOT of credit needs to be given to Slovak though, listening to Mother's Milk you can hear just how much he influenced Frusciante.
    Agreed on both points :)
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3967
    It's a shame they don't play any OHM songs. Deep kick and coffee shop are some of my faves. That's very much an AK decision. Dave was a great addition in my opinion. If a little (essentially) non-funky.
    I also agree regarding Josh Klinghoffer. He's a fantastic musician and was advantageous in being previously mentored and having recorded with JF.
    You're right though. It isnt the same.
    In '99 I was over the moon when JF returned, if a little shocked at his appearance and slurred speech. To record only water for ten days was a great return for him and I still listen to it regularly.
    Actually I do prefer some of his solo work to a lot of RHCP. There are some real gems amongst the general far out recordings he's put out.
  • One of my favourite albums ever, and he's surely the most inspirational guitarist to me.  

His tones, isolated, often seem harsh, bright, brash, nasty... But it's all about the mix - no smooth boutique OD pedals here! Maybe even some distortion from the desk, too.

Funky Monks is probably one of my favourite funk tracks of all time - I quite often practice super simple riffs like that which, isolated, do nothing but drive my parents absolutely mad, but if you have a bassline going in your head, it really fills out and get a good beat, and you've got funk!

Man, I know what I'm doing tomorrow :)
    edited August 2014
    AK was the inspiration for Funky Monks after noodling (badly) and JF did something with it. I can sit and play it all day and not get bored, along with readymade it's one of my warm up songs.
    Deadman said:
    AK was the inspiration for Funky Monks after noodling (badly) and JF did something with it. I can sit and play it all day and not get bored, along with readymade it's one of my warm up songs.
    Here's that interview in question, it's quite funny seeing JFs reaction to the interviewer not liking Funky Monks

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1351
    I so desperately miss John being in the band...
  • Been listening to RHCP exclusively since this thread was born. Now playing: Knock Me Down. :bz

Need to listen to JF solo stuff, never have. Where do I start?

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • SimonCSimonC Frets: 1399
    edited August 2014

^ There's some very very good JF solo stuff, and some is abit of an acquired taste.

"The Empyrean" is as gooda starting point as any. - worth it for the song "Central" alone - just sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guv6rjjJeiQ

edited August 2014
    Knock Me Down guitar track (yes that is a young Frusciante playing an Ibanez in the video!)

• Been listening to RHCP exclusively since this thread was born. Now playing: Knock Me Down. :bz

Need to listen to JF solo stuff, never have. Where do I start?

Curtains, or Shadows Collide with People.  

Carvel (from Shadows COllide with People) is a great track.  All his albums are pretty different, though.  

Anne is an excellent song, and the dual guitar solo is genius.
  • Cheers for the recommendations dudes! I'm goin' in!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • What chorus pedal did JFK use on BSSM?
    What chorus pedal did JFK use on BSSM?
      For the most part he used a Boss boss CE-1:

Then it broke so he purchased a DOD FX65

FX65-Front
  • MazzaG said:
    What chorus pedal did JFK use on BSSM?
      For the most part he used a Boss boss CE-1:

Then it broke so he purchased a DOD FX65

FX65-Front
    Yup.  

And now I want a DODfx65 ;)
  • God I want John Fru's babies.
    Always hoped they'd release Psychedelic Sex Funk live from Heaven on Blu-Ray, or at least DVD, I remember watching it round a friends house on VHS :) Nice seeing John playing with a Les Paul (pretty sure that particular guitar was stolen).

MazzaG said:
    Deadman said:
    Here's that interview in question, it's quite funny seeing JFs reaction to the interviewer not liking Funky Monks

Ha, yeah I've seen that. He was such a different person back in those days before the drugs really took hold.