Anyone had a set up from J White Guitars in Ash Vale?

What's Hot

Comments

• Tele37Tele37 Frets: 58
    I honestly think you can move forward from this if you get all the holes drilled out professionally, dowels installed, then re-drilled accurately on a drill press for the original wood screws. Your guitars will be back to their best, you’ll never see the mistakes, and you can get on with making music again. Life is too short to stress or upset yourself any more over this. You still have two beautiful, unique Telecasters that just need a little help!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 193
    J Whites claim no knowledge of those neck holes.

they claim that from their deductions, they have arrived at the conclusion that those secondary holes were drilled by Fender, at the factory, and could only have been made with a CNC machine…

I can’t see how that is possibly true, as a CNC machine would surely be extremely precise and exactly vertical? These extra drill holes are hap-hazard, variable and only apply to 3 positions.

They claim that they couldn’t drill holes like that if they tried, and that it’s impossible to do without a CNC machine.

I’d have though it was easy to do with a small electric hand drill
    It can be more difficult to drill an overlapping hole with a hand driver as the bit naturally wants to work it's way into the existing path of least resistance. If you have the body firmly clamped into a CNC machine it will struggle less.

No comment on whether they're right about these holes or not, but that might be what they're trying to say.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EduardoFalicioniEduardoFalicioni Frets: 106
    edited June 10

they claim that from their deductions, they have arrived at the conclusion that those secondary holes were drilled by Fender, at the factory, and could only have been made with a CNC machine…

I can’t see how that is possibly true, as a CNC machine would surely be extremely precise and exactly vertical? These extra drill holes are hap-hazard, variable and only apply to 3 positions.

They claim that they couldn’t drill holes like that if they tried, and that it’s impossible to do without a CNC machine.

It can be more difficult to drill an overlapping hole with a hand driver as the bit naturally wants to work it's way into the existing path of least resistance. If you have the body firmly clamped into a CNC machine it will struggle less.

No comment on whether they're right about these holes or not, but that might be what they're trying to say.
    I hear you, but the enlarged holes are only partial and angle into the ‘main hole’. They do not form a perfect figure 8 right though, and do not show on the opposite side
    edited June 14

Tele37 said:
    I honestly think you can move forward from this if you get all the holes drilled out professionally, dowels installed, then re-drilled accurately on a drill press for the original wood screws. Your guitars will be back to their best, you’ll never see the mistakes, and you can get on with making music again. Life is too short to stress or upset yourself any more over this. You still have two beautiful, unique Telecasters that just need a little help!
    I just do not want, and cannot accept dowled and redrilled necks etc on guitars of such value - particularly the brand new blonde one. I just don’t think I should have to accept that in a million years 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tele37Tele37 Frets: 58

Tele37 said:
    I just do not want, and cannot accept dowled and redrilled necks etc on guitars of such value - particularly the brand new blonde one. I just don’t think I should have to accept that in a million years 
    Yep, understood. I’m so sorry you’re having to go through go this mate. I genuinely feel gutted for you.
    edited June 14
    edited June 14

edited June 10

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • borntohangborntohang Frets: 193

I hear you, but the enlarge holes are only partial and angle into the ‘main hole’. They do not for a perfect figure 8 right though, and do not show on the opposite side
    If they're partially angled down through the existing hole then yes, could be a crap job with a hand drill to accommodate the skewed bolts. 
    edited June 10

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2404
    That's just awful @EduardoFalicioni :( I feel pretty sick even reading it, let alone if it happened to me :(
  • MolochMoloch Frets: 752
    Christ, this is the guitarist's version of Dante's walk through Hell. Really hope you get compensation, Eduardo and that the absolute clown hack responsible for it all gets what he deserves.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1967
    This was done by Fender, the neck on the Vintera that Andertons gave an immediate refund for.

https://flic.kr/p/2n4Akk9

But it is quite different to what was done to your guitars.
    The Vintera was built by a guy in Mexico on a production line. Your custom shop was assaulted by a nutter with a hand held drill after it left tgmhe factory 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11146
    tFB Trader

That  clearly hasn't been done by a CNC machine - and the 'ringing' looks to be evidence of the neck bolt trying to force 'tap' it's way into the neck hole due to the incorrect angle of the threaded inserts. 

Fitting threaded inserts requites a fair bit of care and meticulous setting up. When I was doing repairs,-which I stress I don't do now due to being too busy making pickups - I built a jig that clamped the neck heel in question between two 90 degree cheek rails under my drill press. I then used a dial test indicator to insure the drill bit would run not only 90 degrees to the side clamps, but 90 degrees to the long side of the neck heel. 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5011
    edited June 11
    These guys are jokers, and they're lying to you, the widened screw holes have been made by them forcing the machine bolts in at a funky angle. Follow the advice above about notice before action, then a claim to follow as needed. It's not going to be quick or easy so be prepared for a battle and of course I appreciate the circumstances you've mentioned are difficult at this time.

You will need to take the guitars to a genuine luthier though to work out the cost of remedial work and the devaluation amount for the guitars before you make a claim against them. There's nothing there a genuinely talented luthier like Jon or Corvus can't make good for you, and it will look good again for sure. Most if not all of it should be invisible once reassembled too. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1172
    I think if someone neatly plugged the holes and then drilled properly for the inserts, there might not be a great deal of the plug itself left and it would be pretty indistinguishable from what you had wanted when you sent it in for the original work. The body holes are obviously going to need more wood.
    A terrible thing to happen, hope you get it sorted and do keep posting on here, both for moral support and in case there’s anything that any of us can help with/advise on
    edited June 11
    Talking with my regular law firm today.

I badly broke my bank last night and purchased another tele that’ll be shipped to Gene Parson.

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 11
    0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1377
    Talking with my regular law firm today.

I badly broke my bank last night and purchased another tele that’ll be shipped to Gene Parson.

That’s good. Initially I thought that it was just the inserts on the neck that need to be redone, but the “body work” makes it a much different prospect.

And nice new guitar by the way. In terms of replacement custom shop parts, Stratosphere Parts sometimes have stuff.
  • Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1172
    Stratosphere is a good shout, maybe message them and ask if they’ll give you a heads up if they part out something that might suit