Anyone had a set up from J White Guitars in Ash Vale?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12514
    Testimonial on his website made me grin:

"Just a quick note to say how knocked out I am by the work you've done on my guitars......."

Yes, I bet you were.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    J whites have emailed me with a plan for them to undertake remediative works, having refused to give me fair replacement value for my instruments.

With the caveat that I am not a lawyer (I know this as I don't charge £325/hr), that sounds like it could be an admission of both fault and liability, ie that they accept that there is a problem with their work and it's their obligation to make it good.

If that is so that could be your open goal - ie that you can have whatever necessary remediation work done on those guitars by a competent luthier at J White's cost.  

Your lawyer will advise though, both in terms of whether their offer does constitute that admission - legally - and how you can ensure that they end up with the bill.  And that might be money well spent.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    Offset said:
    Testimonial on his website made me grin:

"Just a quick note to say how knocked out I am by the work you've done on my guitars......."

Yes, I bet you were.
    Reminds me of the old story about the video that vexed a film critic...

Back of the video said "Astonishing..." with the critic's paper next to it.

Actual quote was something like "Astonishing in it's mediocrity..."
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EduardoFalicioniEduardoFalicioni Frets: 106
    edited June 14
    I forgot to tell you an absolute pearler they came out with: “…for the vast majority of our customers, this work would have been acceptable… but you expect a higher standard… and that’s ok”

so again, it wasn’t them and the work conducted, it was my standards and expectations… with the implication that I’m way fussier than the vast majority 
    0reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1376
    TTony said:
    J whites have emailed me with a plan for them to undertake remediative works, having refused to give me fair replacement value for my instruments.

https://youtu.be/Z4fBbhyzE9A?si=nBQAqrRMB1R1BJ1W
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I forgot to tell you an absolute pearler they came out with: “…for the vast majority of our customers, this work would have been acceptable… but you expect a higher standard… and that’s ok”

so again, it wasn’t them and the work conducted, it was my standards and expectations… with the implication that I’m way fussier than the vast majority 
    Good lord!  This is becoming surreal!

How very dare you expect a high standard of work on guitars worth £15k plus... FFS.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    Offset said:

How very dare you expect a high standard of work on guitars worth £15k plus... FFS.
    "competent" might be a better word than "high"
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BrioBrio Frets: 1966
    TTony said:

https://youtu.be/Z4fBbhyzE9A?si=nBQAqrRMB1R1BJ1W

I was also thinking of that scene. :-)

• darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12413
    edited June 12

The first statement is clearly horse shit.  There is no way the majority of customers would be happy with them drilling holes in the wrong f**king guitar!!  It isn't credible.

My one note of caution in all this is the guy has somehow survived in business so presumably has done some good work at some point - could this be a rare massive mistake he has dealt with (it seems) very badly?

Just trying to add a potential balance to the pile-in - for the admins' sake if nothing else
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^^ Fair point @darthed1981 - but there a few unhappy bunnies on here which would suggest this isn't an isolated incident.

My memory is crap but wasn't it John Birch who similarly ploughed ahead and did his own thang regardless of what the customer wanted?!  Happy to be corrected.
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    edited June 12 tFB Trader

The first statement is clearly horse shit.  There is no way the majority of customers would be happy with them drilling holes in the wrong f**king guitar!!  It isn't credible.

My one note of caution in all this is the guy has somehow survived in business so presumably has done some good work at some point - could this be a rare massive mistake he has dealt with (it seems) very badly?

Just trying to add a potential balance to the pile-in - for the admins' sake if nothing else
    In business we all foul up from time to time, we're human, but it's how you deal with these situations that decides if you were cut out to provide services to the public or not. 

I agree, clearly the chap has done good work in the past ... others have indicated that much with the quality of his fretwork and setups. There are also many things that impact on a small businessman's ability to do a good job ... physical and mental health being two. It;'s clearly a family business, and we are losing more and more of these countrywide. It's sad on all counts, for @EduardoFalicioni and his instruments and for a family run small business. 

If there is a J White Guitars 'side' of the argument it would be good to hear it, The visual evidence is pretty compelling that no 'normal' customer would be happy with the standard of work shown on the guitars illustrated so far - let's hope some amicable solution is found to this as soon as possible.  

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    Offset said:

My memory is crap but wasn't it John Birch who similarly ploughed ahead and did his own thang regardless of what the customer wanted?!  Happy to be corrected.
    He did.  His whole  thing was how much better he was than Fender and Gibson, so he didn't treat those instruments with any respect.  

It could be.  Mistakes and misinterpretations do happen to everyone, but can be dealt with so much better  

There are pitfalls with this kind of work that become obvious once you've fitted some.  There is a big risk of chipping wood or finish that a customer needs to be prepared for, but the luthier should do everything to avoid.

When I first fitted some  I took an old neck from a scrap pile and did a few tests before proceeding on anything with any value.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 14

In business we all foul up from time to time, we're human, but it's how you deal with these situations that decides if you were cut out to provide services to the public or not. 

I agree, clearly the chap has done good work in the past ... others have indicated that much with the quality of his fretwork and setups. There are also many things that impact on a small businessman's ability to do a good job ... physical and mental health being two. It;'s clearly a family business, and we are losing more and more of these countrywide. It's sad on all counts, for @EduardoFalicioni and his instruments and for a family run small business. 

If there is a J White Guitars 'side' of the argument it would be good to hear it, The visual evidence is pretty compelling that no 'normal' customer would be happy with the standard of work shown on the guitars illustrated so far - let's hope some amicable solution is found to this as soon as possible.  

I can only present the evidence before me 
  • simonhpiemansimonhpieman Frets: 688
    Offset said:
    ^^ Fair point @darthed1981 - but there a few unhappy bunnies on here which would suggest this isn't an isolated incident.

John Birch was nothing more than a butcher who did whatever the hell he wanted before giving a guitar back in a VERY different state, possibly with different parts (not limited to small parts but necks and bodies, too!). He'd have been long out of business if the Fretboard had been a thing back then! Absolute madman and egotist.

My mind is going blank now but I'm sure I've met someone who had a guitar looked at by him that didn't end well...

J White is certainly surrounded by echoes of J Birch, that's for sure.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16967
    Offset said:

John Birch was nothing more than a butcher who did whatever the hell he wanted before giving a guitar back in a VERY different state, possibly with different parts (not limited to small parts but necks and bodies, too!). He'd have been long out of business if the Fretboard had been a thing back then! Absolute madman and egotist.

My mind is going blank now but I'm sure I've met someone who had a guitar looked at by him that didn't end well...

I have a soft spot for JB because of his place in British Guitar history.  His mods are usually bad, his factory guitars are usually pretty good apart from a few additions of body filler hiding under paint.  His custom builds are all over the place.

It's easy to get blinkered when working on guitars - the ones you see are heavily skewed towards the examples with problems, and it's easy to forget there are still a lot of good examples out there.  Many lean into this to say how much better they are than the big factories.  I'm fairly sure JB saw himself as fixing all those issues. We now see it differently, but almost all of his ideas are based on the issues he saw musicians as having at the time.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11139
    tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    Offset said:

I have a soft spot for JB because of his place in British Guitar history.  His mods are usually bad, his factory guitars are usually pretty good apart from a few additions of body filler hiding under paint.  His custom builds are all over the place.

It's easy to get blinkered when working on guitars - the ones you see are heavily skewed towards the examples with problems, and it's easy to forget there are still a lot of good examples out there.  Many lean into this to say how much better they are than the big factories.  I'm fairly sure JB saw himself as fixing all those issues. We now see it differently, but almost all of his ideas are based on the issues he saw musicians as having at the time.

I too have a soft spot for JB ... I've played quite a few of his own guitars and always quite enjoyed the experience. People now see him as butchering f'ine, old vintage guitars' - but at the time they were just ratty old guitars that didn't do what the customer wanted.   
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • JayceroseJaycerose Frets: 1
    Thats an absolute nightmare situation there. I don't know the person who did the work but based on what can gather their an older fella who has been in the business a long time and seems to have done some good work in the past. Looking at the work they've done tho it's absolutely horrid.. The mix up with putting the inserts for the neck in the body can only make me think senility has kicked in..

As for suggestions of resolutions, I know you've tried asking Fender to send you a replacement neck from the custom shop and know they won't do this under any circumstance. However what I think they might do and could be the best recourse is for the guitars to be sent back to the custom shop for the remedial work. While they won't post you a neck I would imagine they would build and install new necks for you in the custom shop. Then the bill can be paid for by J White guitars. 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11522
    Given that Guitar Village have been recommending him, and how long he has survived in the industry, he can't always have been like this.

I met him and tried some of his guitars at a guitar show quite a while ago - would have been around 2000ish.  I didn't notice anything amiss with them, and they sounded good, played well, and had one or two quite well thought out features.

From memory, he wasn't a young man then, and that was well over 20 years ago.  It may be that his work has declined in recent times and he ought to think about retiring.
    edited June 14
    In my profession; we always say that you’re only as good as your last job 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23674
    In my profession; we always say that you’re only as good as your last job 
    Hitman?
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom