so...what's your OD of choice?

What's Hot
HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16090

NOT distortion, maybe we will deal with that later......your ODs please and why it's a keeper

for me I have been through absolutely everything, save the much hyped klon, and have finally settled on Barber gear...for the time being :)

I guess the pedal I am sorry to have sold is the Zendrive

tae be or not tae be
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Visual Sounds route 66.  Comp and OD in one, with a bass boost that means it is usable as a straight up OD, too.  I like what it does to distorted stuff.  I'd like a more open sounding OD for straight up sounds, but to be honest, I get nice tones from the amp for that anyway.

Despite not trying one, I have a feeling the Liquid Sunshine might crop up once or twice in this thread... ;) 
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16090

same here with the open sound ODs

tae be or not tae be
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    edited August 2014
    For lighter gain the zendrive is the only one I've kept after trying loads.   I'm tempted to get another liquid sunshine at some point though and I really want to try the xotic SL in the near future - could be a very handy pedal.
    bummer with the Zen....I sold mine in a fit of ebay fever and the Hermida cat from the USA went AWOL the following week
    tae be or not tae be
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    as of today the Gain A side of the EQD Palisades
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Some points about a few I've owned
    Analogman ts808 is my number one and has been for years. It just works! It's only when I try other ods I see how much the ts nails what it is meant to achieve.
    Digitech Bad Monkey, a nice pedal but epitomises blanket over the amp
    Visual sound j&h, the od side is the stronger point of the pedal, I could never get it to sparkle! Which I take blame for, as I hear other people get great sounds out of it
    Boss sd1, unmodded and unbeatable for the price! Great pedal
    Danelectro ccTOD, fuck ugly, but sounds amazing! Tried to rehouse it and failed spectacularly so it was binned ;(

Tldr, I'm a tubescreamer kinda guy
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2414
    I kind of use a couple (at once) so I'm not sure how to separate them.

Out of what I've tried, current favourites are my dano timmy clone (i use that as an always on, or nearly always on, boost, at least with my high gain amps) and my daphon SD1 clone (for a solo boost). I haven't decided whether I prefer SD1- or TS-style ods for a solo boost. I think it's amp-dependent, really, if the amp is already smooth a ts is too much, whereas if an amp is already a bit edgy-sounding the sd1 is too much.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4222
    My main squeeze is a klon clone modified by my local pedal nut and all round techie genius , virtually silent and works well with any amp ( so far )
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7337
    I'm a big fan of my Crowther Hotcake. Had a TS808 for a few years, but let it go when I got the HC.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage TS-808 had a fair few OD pedals but this one I always come back to.
    would the TS guys use a TS in a big clean valve job like a mark 1V (on rhythm ch) for solos?
    tae be or not tae be
  • BradBrad Frets: 676
    Nothin has managed to shift my Xotic BB Preamp off the board. I really like the Jam Pedals Tubedreamer 58 at the moment though.
    TS types getting a lot of love so far.....
    tae be or not tae be
  • citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
    For a clean amp - Xotic BB is the mutt's nuts - also enjoying Jetter GS-124. Funny I thought I'd miss my Zen but don't at all.

For an already driven amp the klone takes some beating.
    Seemed like a good idea.....

• JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Currently for me it's the Les Lius. Never had an overdrive that's so responsive to my playing! 

I can go from a jangly clean to a pretty solid drive sound just by attacking the strings differently. The volume knob also cleans it up surprisingly well, neigh on Germanium Fuzz Face clean up and the boost section pretty much covers my dirtier, fuzzier needs pretty well. 

It also really likes being pushed around with a boost. Whack an LPB-1 in front and you're well and truly into the Neil Young "amp about to explode" sounds... and still it'll more or less clean up if you back off your attack. 

The only way I can see this coming off my board any time soon is if I were to replace it with a real 5E3 Deluxe.
  • For a long time the danelectro Timmy clone was my number one but I scored ss\bs mini awhile back and I'm a changed man. Smooth to ragged and boost all the way to fuzz, its gggggrrrrrrrrreat!
  • As a non tubescreamer type, I'm really digging the boss od-3. It's a really nice sounding thing with a lot of decent sounds. I don't own it, my friend does. Soon though :)
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    I had a tube screamer and hated it, it sounded wank into a clean channel and when stacked with another OD/Distortion the only sound i could get from it was bloody bon jovi!
    My OD needs are taken of by a monkey fx valvesporker v1.6 and a Way Huge Angry Troll.
    Love Timmys though and still want to get my grubby mits on a SHOD.
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 146
    tFB Trader
    Valvette custom drive has been one of my favourites for several years now, but they rotate so often, big fan of the bob burt od for a ts type

• Carl Martin DC Drive all the way. A tonne of sounds (and gain) available plus regular/fat switch and an independent clean boost. Check out Burg's demo (as suggested by me!) to get a flavour of it.

Other than the DC, I'll never sell my Way Huge Prok Loin, that pedal just adds "more" to anything you give it.

"As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky